You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting started in 3d

I would like to get in to 3d shooting, mainly to practice for hunting season. I don't want to go out there and look like a fool, though. I know with every other sport, there's a written or unwritten code of conduct and rules to follow. What are some of the things I need to know getting started. Unfortunately, I don't have any buddies that shoot 3d because we don't have a club in my town-- I'll have to drive to another town about 40 miles away. Thanks for the advice!
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight
    Easton Axis 340 carbon arrows,

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rqthunter View Post
    I would like to get in to 3d shooting, mainly to practice for hunting season. I don't want to go out there and look like a fool, though. I know with every other sport, there's a written or unwritten code of conduct and rules to follow. What are some of the things I need to know getting started. Unfortunately, I don't have any buddies that shoot 3d because we don't have a club in my town-- I'll have to drive to another town about 40 miles away. Thanks for the advice!
    I just signed up for a shoot. I had only had my bow for a little while. I let the people running the event know I was green. They put me with a great group of guys. I let the guys know of my ignorance and they helped me through it. Whoever runs the comp know most of the people there, they do a good job of matching people up. I say you go for it, you'll have a blast!

Best of luck!

two_shoes
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

Just go and hook up with somebody who can walk you through it the first time. It's no big deal at shoots. Often a single or pair will hook up with others for a foursome. All you have to do is ask. We may hunt alone, but most of us enjoy the company of new friends. Gives us a chance to tell stories to people who haven't heard them yet.
    Enjoy it. There is no pressure, and you are only competing against yourself.
    Consider a good belt and belt quiver if you like it and plan to do it regularly. It makes it much easier and more comfortable. The Bohning Shooters belt has a great padded back support. I (FInally) got one a month ago and love it. Get a good quiver with 3 tubes. If the choice is a $20 or a $40, get the $40. It will be better made, and last longer and work better.

Yes, like those guys said, just jump in there and meet some people. 3D is a ton of fun and you will not have any problem finding someone to help you out.
    In addition to a quiver, which is a nice thing to have, bring a pair of binos.

Ron

Default 3-d!

If i were you i wouldnt have anything to do with 3-d unless you have very deep pocket's!

Just ask the right people on this sight, tell him BOWMAN,Smokes
    Your wasting your time,tryin to have fun & spendin all your money!

I have spent so much money on this stuff in 25 years i could have bought a bass pro shop by now, ask my wife!

Just kiddin man, go out there enjoy your self, you will get hooked!
    I did for 25 years and still>>> Flingin Stick's<<<
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Default based on my experience

- definatley let the club know this is your first shoot and you would like some company. they will put you in the right class, probably bowhunter, and let you know which stake you shoot from, and pair you up with some friendly people.

- dont ask the yardage or discuss it, unless its ok with those with you. if you shoot for a score, you cannot talk about it.

- one foot must touch the stake

- dont touch or pull arrows until after they are scored.

-dont disturb, talk loud, etc, when others are shooting.. common sense.

- its ok to ask for advice, and most people are happy to help you out.

- dont beat yourself up if you miss or dont score good.. its expected, it takes practice.

- bring water with you

- have fun
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

and leave the damb cell phone in the car......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default Thanks J.A.G.!

Great...Thanks J.A.G. That's the kind of stuff that I need to know. So... you walk through a course and shoot 3d targets and have to guess the yardage? Is there a time limit? Yeah... I'm totally ignorant about it.
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight

As I have read there are some shoots that are marked yardage so you don't have to guess. That is the kind I need for sure...60 ft indoors sure looks different outside to me.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Great...Thanks J.A.G. That's the kind of stuff that I need to know. So... you walk through a course and shoot 3d targets and have to guess the yardage? Is there a time limit? Yeah... I'm totally ignorant about it.
    We shoot the marked yardage over here. But they will be having the unmarked soon to get ready for hunting season. Time Limit? We usually have to get our scores turned in by a certain time, but usually have plenty of time to get them in. I love the 3D's, even when I don't do so good

Good info, I too have never shot a 3D course....looking forward to trying it out.
    I shot my first ever NFAA 5 spot this weekend (292 22X) and am starting to enjoy spots as well.
    New Breed Archery-Genetix 28.5"/ 60lbs & 365gr. = 285 FPS
    New Breed Archery- Eclipse 65/28.5" & 370gr. = 291 FPS
    Bowtech- 82nd Airborne 28.5"/ 60lbs. & 325gr. = 327 FPS
    Strother Archery- SR-71 28.5"/65lbs. & 370gr. = 303 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    and leave the damb cell phone in the car......
    Man law...

Ron

Site Guru

Take a bunch of arrows! If you've never shot before I would take at least 6.

- Binoculars help find the scoring zones quite a bit. otherwise you are just shooting for vitals (which is an 8)

- Go with a friend!
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

- Binoculars help find the scoring zones quite a bit. otherwise you are just shooting for vitals (which is an 8)

- Go with a friend!
    I was going to say take a bunch of arrows but I didn't want to scare anyone away from doing a 3D...

That is a good idea though. Some clubs put targets in a darndest of places...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

- Go with a friend!
    I have never used more than 3 and that's only cuz someone else ruined one. If it is unmarked, take at least 6 or more. Marked, 2

Default Sorry it's so long...

It's all good advice. I can only speak for the clubs around my area... usually there is trickle start which means shooters can register between certain times (7:30 a.m., 8:00a.m.ish until 10a.m. or 11a.m.ish) and proceed to the first target at their own pace and shoot the course. Sometimes (usually at our bigger shoots) there is a shotgun start where you start at an assigned target somewhere on the course and wait for the signal to begin. Around here most of the shoots have 40 targets although there are others out there with 30. Sometimes we shoot 2 sides of 20 (A side and B side). Sometimes we shoot 20 targets twice, either from different stakes each time or go around twice. I've seen it done a lot of different ways and like I said, that is just around here. It may be different where you live. We have to turn in our score cards by a certain time and that time varies by club. Slower groups will usually let faster groups shoot through like letting golfers play through on a golf course. Cost varies - I'd say the average around here is about $10.00. Definitely let someone know at the shoot that you are new to 3D. They will be more than happy to help you and to put you with a group. I got into 3D 2 summers ago to practice for bowhunting and liked it so much that I still do it for that reason but also because it is so much fun. The people we have met through 3D are some of the nicest people ever! Good luck and have fun.

Default Time limit

I'm getting the idea. About the time limit question... I just remember seeing some competitions on the Outdoor channel where the archers are at a 3d range and the targets mechanically pop up and you have like 6 seconds to shoot. It sounds like that is totally different.
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight

Default Time limit!

I'm getting the idea. About the time limit question... I just remember seeing some competitions on the Outdoor channel where the archers are at a 3d range and the targets mechanically pop up and you have like 6 seconds to shoot. It sounds like that is totally different.
    At the shoots try to set yourself up on getting the shot off when at the stake in under 2minutes this is the normal time limit that is applyed in our shoot's!
    Practice this at home!
    In the bowhunter round its not stressed around here but in the pro-class its demanded because they take more time glassing the shot! like me!
    Have fun!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Regular 3D shoots don't have a time limit per shooter. If you take 2 minutes to shoot a target, per shooter, you are taking too long. Binos let you see exactly where the 10 and 12 rings are. They are a big help. Scores don;t have to be turned in anyway, and some people don't even keep score. I do it to know how I did against myself. Our area clubs don't even prohibit rangefinder use, and many count it as a class itself. Your scores will improve with 3D experience and familiarity with targets (vital locations). Don't sweat this at all. Go enjoy yourself. You are only doing this for fun. people who get too wrapped up in 3D, or any sport, don't enjoy it near as much. I don't need to prove myself against most of these guys, especially guys with 50# Draw Weights, 80% letoffs, and 6 power scopes with 3 foot stabilizers. Neither should you. Use your hunting rig, if that's what you got, and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Regular 3D shoots don't have a time limit per shooter. If you take 2 minutes to shoot a target, per shooter, you are taking too long. Binos let you see exactly where the 10 and 12 rings are. They are a big help. Scores don;t have to be turned in anyway, and some people don't even keep score. I do it to know how I did against myself. Our area clubs don't even prohibit rangefinder use, and many count it as a class itself. Your scores will improve with 3D experience and familiarity with targets (vital locations). Don't sweat this at all. Go enjoy yourself. You are only doing this for fun. people who get too wrapped up in 3D, or any sport, don't enjoy it near as much. I don't need to prove myself against most of these guys, especially guys with 50# Draw Weights, 80% letoffs, and 6 power scopes with 3 foot stabilizers. Neither should you. Use your hunting rig, if that's what you got, and have fun.
    I could not agree more with that philosophy, especially when you're first starting out. Having fun is a big part of it.
    We use hunting bows and then shoot anywhere from hunting stakes to the open class stakes. Some of the local shoots here don't have very challenging hunter class stake locations so we fool around and mix it up a little. We have a little friendly competition amongst ourselves and usually don't turn in our score card. We add up and compare scores at the "41st target" over a beer or two.

Have fun...

Ron