You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default thought's on hunting land..

so i'm curious as to what some think about this land i just landed. it is public land but is land locked and hasn't been hunting(from i've been told by the person i got permission from) in about 10-12 years.

the arrow shows how i have to enter and is the west side of the land.
    the red X's are where i have stands now, the blue X's are where i am looking to put some up if i can find away across the swamp.

oh and the white are the boarders.......

any more thoughts on this?

thanks

speed

probstarial3.JPG

I dont know about in your state but in MO if it is public land it has to have an access road to it. So are you sure that it has not been hunted in 10 to 12 years. But from the picture it dosent look to bad.

Mo.Hick

Quote Originally Posted by MO.HICK View Post
    I dont know about in your state but in MO if it is public land it has to have an access road to it. So are you sure that it has not been hunted in 10 to 12 years. But from the picture it dosent look to bad.

Mo.Hick
    yeah my buddies mom owns all the land around it and she has not left anyone pass through their land for about that long she said. the only other way to the land is about a mile(maybe two miles) away to the east and they would have to walk the entire way following the river. (which is not deep enough to boat down). i guess if some one wanted to they could go that way, lord knows i've waled further than that to a hunting area. but then again with all the properties they would have to cut through, there's bound to be one or two that won't let you cross..

** on another note, the land was not always land locked so it was accessable before all the houses and things went up. from there on out it's been locked ***

speed

Default land

Is that cropland to the left? If the land on the other three sides is private land, I'd try to hunt the edges first. Trying not to moved deer onto other property. A stand between the water and crops( food) is where I would start. If you really want to get acrooss the swamp being public land, building a road is probably out of the puestion.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

Quote Originally Posted by goldflinger View Post
    Is that cropland to the left? If the land on the other three sides is private land, I'd try to hunt the edges first. Trying not to moved deer onto other property. A stand between the water and crops( food) is where I would start. If you really want to get acrooss the swamp being public land, building a road is probably out of the puestion.
    yeah thats crops...... problem is i can't go on there. i'm cutting it pretty close with the fartherst Blue "X". and being the first year i have gotten access to it..... i'd rather not tick anyone off. thats why i think if i get close enough i might be able to call them in.

thanks though.... i will be talkign to a few other owners around there and if goes well then i can get on in that crop area.

speed

what's the acreage?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    what's the acreage?
    there's just under 300 acres... that is just the section with the white boarders. beyond that, the person also owns another 600.... and there's only 2 of us hunting it.

speed

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Yeah, here's a thought: Need help?? Should never hunt alone!
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

What county are you hunting in speedcam?
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

All of your x's are on the edges, try to find some staging areas in a little further?
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

i can't get permission for any one else to come on right now. (even though it's public) because of having to go through their land. maybe next year...

i'm hunting Jefferson county

and yes i know i have to stager some more "inside", at this point i've only gotten out there twice because of how wet it's been there. i do have a few places marked out deeper in the woods but just haven't gotten the chance to get a better look yet.

i have found an old abandoned two track that is the dark area half way through the section by my arrows to go in at. if you look about half way it gets a darker green... thats a shelf and the last time i was in i watched 4 deer walk right down it. so thats another area i have in mind.

speed
    Last edited by speedcam; 06-26-2007 at 07:30 PM.