You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Guru

Default Local Club Advertising?

I was talking with Sniper a bit about my Local club which is approx 3 miles form my current house and about 4 1/2 from where I was born and raised... I'm 27 and I just heard about them last year because of this site (which they don't even post on anymore).

So how does your local club pull in more people? Internet? Local Shops? Word of Mouth?

I've been in every local archery store within a 50 mile radius and I've never heard of it until I found it on this site back when I initally signed up and looked around.

Here is a map of the area I live in, red box is me, yellow is where my parents live ( where I grew up) and green is the location of the club... its been there for years I guess
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No I'm not dead

The shops around here have employees that are club members and in some cases trustees of the club. They all use a combination of word of mouth and in-store bullitin boards with club information, membership applications, shoot schedules, etc...

One shop that has regular indoor 5-spot and outdoor 3D leagues advertises using a big wrap on the side of his Dodge Durango with the shop's name and associated graphic on it. It's pretty neat actually and resembles the wraps that BASS pros are required to have on their boats at tournaments.

A lot of it is word of mouth though.

Ron

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    The shops around here have employees that are club members and in some cases trustees of the club. They all use a combination of word of mouth and in-store bullitin boards with club information, membership applications, shoot schedules, etc...

One shop that has regular indoor 5-spot and outdoor 3D leagues advertises using a big wrap on the side of his Dodge Durango with the shop's name and associated graphic on it. It's pretty neat actually and resembles the wraps that BASS pros are required to have on their boats at tournaments.

A lot of it is word of mouth though.

Ron
    Do you think there are any better ways of spreading the word? How are the turnouts at your shoots?
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Do you think there are any better ways of spreading the word? How are the turnouts at your shoots?
    I would say they are decent (100-150), althought we have not had one so far this year to my knowledge since one club went 'private', whatever that means, and another club lost land use rights. There are 2 other clubs in the general area (within 50 miles) but do not use this site to advertise their shoots and I have no flyers for them. I know they exist, I just don't know how to get their names or any other information. I guess they don't care to expand their membership depth.

I'm not sure about ways of advertising aside from flyers in shops and sporting goods stores. If I were promoting a shoot I would go around to all the sporting goods retailers that sold archery gear and hand them flyers and have an actual conversation with the store manager or department manager responsible for archery so you make sure the flyers don't go into the circular file... Archery sales could help drive club memberships and the other way around as well. It's a win-win for everyone and the store management should get on board with that.

Aside from that it would seem that a bunch of money would need to be spent to get the word out, which would drive up costs for people to attend the shoot.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 06-27-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Site Guru

Wow.... 100 - 150 is a lot of people for a regular 3d shoot isn't it?

I know Jay Are was excited with 80+ so I would think getting 150 there would be a helluva turnout
    No I'm not dead

Wow.... 100 - 150 is a lot of people for a regular 3d shoot isn't it?

I know Jay Are was excited with 80+ so I would think getting 150 there would be a helluva turnout
    I guess but this is a pretty big metro area without a lot of clubs that host shoots. And, there are a lot of bowhunters in this area. You should see the local shops on weekends starting 2-3 weeks before opening day. The shops are really busy so you have to plan ahead for sure.

It'll be interesting to see how many people show up at a shoot, assuming I can find one, when 1 club is essentially gone and the other is 'private'.

Last year there was one shoot that was 40 targets and I want to say it took us almost 4 hours to go through the course because we had to wait so much. In fact we started on the 'back 20' targets because the front was so bogged down. That was at the club that went 'private' this year.

Also, I've never shot 3D outside of this area before so I don't know how to gauge it. Also, that 100-150 was my best guess based on cars in lot, waiting time, etc since everyone is so spread out over so much land.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 06-27-2007 at 11:29 AM.

I was talking with Sniper a bit about my Local club which is approx 3 miles form my current house and about 4 1/2 from where I was born and raised... I'm 27 and I just heard about them last year because of this site (which they don't even post on anymore).

So how does your local club pull in more people? Internet? Local Shops? Word of Mouth?

I've been in every local archery store within a 50 mile radius and I've never heard of it until I found it on this site back when I initally signed up and looked around.

Here is a map of the area I live in, red box is me, yellow is where my parents live ( where I grew up) and green is the location of the club... its been there for years I guess
    I think the best way to bring in more people is by finding the best mix of all three methods (Internet, local shops, word of mouth). But my feeling is that word of mouth is the best! If you don't have good representatives of the club (members) going to other shoots, the word will never get out. Getting people interested in the club is the easiest thing, but keeping them there or returning is the hard part. The more members a club has, the more "Word of Mouth" can happen.

I helped to start a club about 4 years ago. We had a lot of word of mouth. I shoot as many shoots as I can around and spread the word. We put schedules in local shops put our shoot dates on here. We have had some people come about 2 hours away this year and said that they heard that we put on good shoots. So Iguess we are doing something right. We put our shoots in the Missouri bowhunters mag. If any one is around the Excelsior Springs Mo area look on here for our dates and come and give us a try. We also hold the NFAA outdoor state championships. State championship last year we had a little over 100 shooters hope for more this year. And our regular shoot we avagerage 45 t0 60 shooters.

Mo.Hick

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    I think the best way to bring in more people is by finding the best mix of all three methods (Internet, local shops, word of mouth). But my feeling is that word of mouth is the best! If you don't have good representatives of the club (members) going to other shoots, the word will never get out. Getting people interested in the club is the easiest thing, but keeping them there or returning is the hard part. The more members a club has, the more "Word of Mouth" can happen.
    Ditto. Jay Are and me both made up our own flyers for the club, and i put them in shops and other clubs with "Take One" on them. Almost a hundred were picked up at one local shop alone. If we put on a few more real good shoots, I bet we break a hundred shooters. We are doubling last years turnouts already, but we are overcoming a bad reputation. The web sites work too. How do you think we pulled in Dredly?

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Ditto. Jay Are and me both made up our own flyers for the club, and i put them in shops and other clubs with "Take One" on them. Almost a hundred were picked up at one local shop alone. If we put on a few more real good shoots, I bet we break a hundred shooters. We are doubling last years turnouts already, but we are overcoming a bad reputation. The web sites work too. How do you think we pulled in Dredly?
    I was told if I beat Jay Are on his home course he would shoot the R100 in a skirt... thats the only reason I'm shooting Limerick.

I'm thinking if Jay Are wears a skirt and Bowman complains like a woman they can both shoot from the girl stakes and can keep each other company!
    No I'm not dead

I was told if I beat Jay Are on his home course he would shoot the R100 in a skirt... thats the only reason I'm shooting Limerick.

I'm thinking if Jay Are wears a skirt and Bowman complains like a woman they can both shoot from the girl stakes and can keep each other company!

from what i have heard from the texas birdie......its not us that will whine and shoot from the skirt stake.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Why would anyone not advertise their shoots on our site?
    Is it really that hard to post them? I didn't think so.
    There is no cost to the club and you reach tens of thousands of archers.

I just can't understand the mentality. They complain about no budget for advertising but when someone offers them a free way to reach shooters, they don't have the time or manpower to post them.

Sorry if this is a rant and is not meant at anyone directly on this thread but at times it's very frustrating for me.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I just can't understand the mentality. They complain about no budget for advertising but when someone offers them a free way to reach shooters, they don't have the time or manpower to post them.

Sorry if this is a rant and is not meant at anyone directly on this thread but at times it's very frustrating for me.
    I have no clue why a club would'nt use a find shoots section for free on websites. I check our areas, and some clubs post on one, some not at all. Perhaps a former or deceased member had the passwords, but that loss could be overcome by contacting a administrator easily. Sometimes they used web sites and stopped, Like the one near Dredly. That's how I found it when I shot there.
    I just drove a hour to pick up a few things at Lancaster, and left 20 schedules on the corkboard. Even handed out a few and invited some guys to come shoot with us. Gotta spread the word any way we can.

Couple of examples here in Missouri. Most of the archery clubs in Missouri are members of one if not both of the of the statewide archery organizations in the state. The Missouri Bow Hunters or the United Missouri Bowhunters. With dues, monthly news letters are printed with a list of all 3d shoots in the state, annual banquets, ect. ect. It's a good way for all archery organizations to help each other and the sport.

Now another archery club, Montrose Archery Assoc. does radio advertising and small ad's in the county newspaper. How does an archery club pay for that? Most of the time it is free. What alot of folks don't know is that most radio stations will do 30 commericals for non profit organizations and use those commercials to "fill in" spots where major advertisors are not paying for time. And the smaller local newspapers will put in small ad's to fill space. This club will average anywhere from 130-160 shooters each month for their shoots. There are ways to get the word out and draw shooters, some just takes a bit more leg work.
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Some of the clubs don't think there is a benefit of using the internet for anything. It's something we all experience at one time or another - the fear of the unknown and ignorance. But I think the other problem is no one wants to volunteer for the duty of posting it and keeping it up to date.

Site Guru

Some of the clubs don't think there is a benefit of using the internet for anything. It's something we all experience at one time or another - the fear of the unknown and ignorance. But I think the other problem is no one wants to volunteer for the duty of posting it and keeping it up to date.
    I notice you ignored the skirt comment... ignoring it won't make it go away

I'll miss their next shoot also, its on the weekend of July 22nd (I found it on another site) maybe I'll see about making it in August
    No I'm not dead

I notice you ignored the skirt comment... ignoring it won't make it go away

I'll miss their next shoot also, its on the weekend of July 22nd (I found it on another site) maybe I'll see about making it in August
    Trying to play on the computer and do the work that my wife gets paid for

Sounds like we have a challenge:
    We will shoot known yardages and it will be about shot placement and skill. No excuses about misjudging yardage.
    The looser of the bunch will need to wear the skirt to the R100! or to every 3D shoot til they stop loosing??????

Trying to play on the computer and do the work that my wife gets paid for

Sounds like we have a challenge:
    We will shoot known yardages and it will be about shot placement and skill. No excuses about misjudging yardage.
    The looser of the bunch will need to wear the skirt to the R100! or to every 3D shoot til they stop loosing??????
    known yardages????
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    known yardages????
    Someone is scared I think
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    known yardages????
    This way no disadvatages due to me knowing the course.