You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

View Poll Results: What do you shoot Mechanical or Fixed Blade Broadhead

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mechanical/Expandable Broadhead

20 39.22%
  • Fixed Blade Broadhead

31 60.78%

Hybrid View

Default Mechanical or Fixed blade broadhead

Just wondering what percentage of people shoot mechanicals or fixed blade broadheads.Please to turn this a into a broadhead bashing thread. Just state which one you shoot.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

OK, I won't bash. I'll just say that I always used fix blade heads as I don't shoot enough weight to justify mechanicals. That along with the fact that I pride myself on my tuning ability. I have never shot a head that I could not get to tune and group at least as good as my filed points, and often times better.

I shoot NAP Thunderhead fixed blades. I just don't feel confident with the reliability of expandables, but that is just my own gut feeling about them.

I used fixed in the past but here lately, 4-5 yrs, I have been intrigued with the mechanicals. I only whitetail hunt and the mechanicals have done and excellent job in harvesting deer. I get complete pass throughs and always have a good blood trail. Really, no problems ever incountered with using mechanicals on whitetails.

Default Rockets (Steel Heads I think)

Seem to do the trick 4 me. If I were any cheaper and felt like sharpening them I would re-use them, they are very durable and always pass through. Shot a doe at least a 45 degree quartering away Sunday and it passed through and stuck in the dirt. I think they "feel" the shot (and run) alot more with mechanicals though. Don't remember the brand (Steel Force) maybe but when I shot a deer with this fixed blade the deer literally did not know it had been shot. It turned around, looked at the deer behind it as if it touched it or something, then kept grazing for about 10 seconds, and finally fell over.

Steel Force 100gr Sabertooths, Barrie Archery's Rocky Mtn. Supreme XP, and Zwickie Black Diamonds for me this year.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

I have never used mecanicals but I am going to give them a try. I bought a new bow back in nov last year and this is its first hunting year. I am not real impressed with current fixed broadheads that I am using. (Muzzy 100). They do not seem to fly anywhere near like my target points. I have heard nothing bad about mechanicals. I always hear they fly just like target points. Anyone have any input on that?

I have used sst jackhammers, and for the last two years nap spitfire xp pro series mechanicals, they don't have the o'rings on them and I have never had a problem, I shot an elk this year with them, complete pass through, bull went down within 50 yards, last year I hit a bull with a muzzy 4 blade 1oo grain, again complete pass through but a little far back, the bull went a long ways, with the mechanical I used this year I believe that bull would have expired alot sooner, they put such a big hole in the animal, but I do believe you need to be close to 60 ft lbs for whitetail and even more for bigger game,
    I will use them on elk for now on.

I started shooting a new fixed blade broadhead called the Wac'em and love them they fly great at 50 yds and helped me take my 142" 9pt this year.Tried Muzzys,Wasp jakhammers,wasp boss.....just seem to like fixed blade but sot some does with jakhammers dropped them in there tracts....john wayne

dsb

Default Broad head use

I am using the First Cut 125 by Carbon Express, the fly the same as my field points, therefore no changes are made to go from practice to feild.