You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oppinions on best 3d / hunting bow?

Looking for a good allaround compound bow. Any recomendations?

What about the Hoyt Pro Elite or Bowtech Mission OBS

What is a Bowtech Mission OBS? Never heard of it.

Since I'm a noob and dont know anybetter. I've been told to stick with some of the biggetst names in the biz. Mathews, Hoyt and Bowtech so looking for a bow primarly from one of these manufacutres.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2006-Bo...mpound-bow.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    What is a Bowtech Mission OBS? Never heard of it.

I would suggest a Bowtech Alligiance, or a Ross Cardiac. Both are plenty fast and pretty forgiving. I'm not a big Mathews fan. They're behind the curve these days, and don't seem to live up to the promises. There are better bows out there. A lot of shops are pushing Mathews because, I understand, they have a generous bonus program for dealers who make quotas. That's the rumor.

What about Hoyt? Any comments on them? I like the Alligiance very nice looking bow. I've heard for target shooting it's better to go with a longer axle to axle bow the Alligiance is on the shorter end of it with a 33's"

I would suggest a Bowtech Alligiance, or a Ross Cardiac. Both are plenty fast and pretty forgiving. I'm not a big Mathews fan. They're behind the curve these days, and don't seem to live up to the promises. There are better bows out there. A lot of shops are pushing Mathews because, I understand, they have a generous bonus program for dealers who make quotas. That's the rumor.

I have two Hoyts, and my next couple bows, due this year, are going to be a Bowtech or Ross, and something else. I may get both indicated. I listen to people at the ranges and the stores, and have tested a half dozen, and shot other people's at the club. Hoyt and Mathews are not for me in the near future. I hear good things about Elites, and they shoot well and fast. I'm up in the air on that brand, but it is a stong contender. Shoot a variety, and don't make any hasty decisions on something that will cost about $1100 when you are done. The Axle to Axle distance is not as critical now as a few years ago. Technology is getting real good. 33" is plenty on the right, modern bow. Go test a bunch. Remember you will be adding quite a bit of weight with all the accessories. If you test a bow clean, it will feel different with everything on.

Quote Originally Posted by I3ullsEyE View Post
    Looking for a good allaround compound bow. Any recomendations?

What about the Hoyt Pro Elite or Bowtech Mission OBS
    Take a look at the Hoyt Vectrix XL and the Ross 337. Either one will make a good all around bow.

When it comes down to which bow is the best, there is no good answer on it. Everyone will tell you which bow is better than the other and why… you will even notice people will contradict themselves at times. But it all comes down to what your desire is for the type of shooting you will be doing. The best way to make that determination is to shoot as many bows as you can, and as many back to back.

Sounds more or less that you want to get stated out with a bow that you use for 3D and hunting --- so I would recommend setting up your bow with the same accessories (rest, sight, arrows) that you would use for hunting, same for 3D.

Your next question was if a longer A2A is better or more accurate? To my knowledge there is no scientific study or information that proves this. But again, this goes back to what you want/prefer to shoot. I have seen plenty of guys use the Switchback for indoor shoots and 3D, and they do very well. Now if you give them something longer, they may not do as well or just the same. A longer A2A may also make it more difficult for the type of hunting you will be doing. (i.e. I have 37” A2A and I have to always make sure that I clear my tree stand’s safety bar with my bow) You need to make that determination if a longer A2A makes you shoot better.

The Hoyt Pro Elite – Excellent bow!!! But, I personally wouldn’t want to use it for hunting for the purpose that it is not as easy to load the arrow with the shoot though riser. Not saying that you can’t… I have talked to a few guys that use the Ultra Elite and Pro for hunting. But my feeling is that there will be a time, when a second shot will be needed and you wont be able to do it quickly.

I hope this helps…

Site Guru

Mathews has a wonderful bow in their Apex and Apex 7. I wouldn't rule them out just yet. I also love my Ovation, they can be picked up for a great price used, but they are a bit slow.

Mission is a subset of Mathews, good bows for a good price. Basically the bottom level Mission and the top level are the same but one has more cosmetic stuff done to it.

The Bowtech Commander and Guardian are amazing bows, also if you're looking for something more "affordable" keep an eye on the Diamond bows by Bowtech.

The Fred Bear bows are getting EXCELLENT reviews this year and are much more affordable. They will easily pull double duty (3d / hunting) and can be shot for Target as well.

Ross makes a damn fine bow. The cardiac is a great bow as are the CR334 and CR337 (the CR331 was to short for me to shoot for anything other then hunting)

Hoyt has and does make a good bow, make sure you shoot one first before buying though as personally I feel that there are better options out there
    No I'm not dead

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post

The Hoyt Pro Elite – Excellent bow!!! But, I personally wouldn’t want to use it for hunting for the purpose that it is not as easy to load the arrow with the shoot though riser. Not saying that you can’t… I have talked to a few guys that use the Ultra Elite and Pro for hunting. But my feeling is that there will be a time, when a second shot will be needed and you wont be able to do it quickly.
    I hope this helps…
    Especially with how you shoot!
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Especially with how you shoot!
    I am living prove that a longer A2A doens't make you a better shot!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    I am living prove that a longer A2A doens't make you a better shot!
    Maybe their is a direct corrolation between height and A2A length?
    No I'm not dead

This is exactly why this is a tough question to ask/answer on a forum. Simply because you will get people that don't like one bow or another and will give bad information regarding a certain brand.

You really can't go wrong with any of the top manufacuterer out there today. All make great bows. It's all a matter of what feels best for you. The only way to find that out is to head to a couple different shops and test shoot as many different bows as you can.
    Most likely one will pick you.

As far as type of bow, I personally would get a hunting-type bow, as stated above, and use it for 3-D as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyluck View Post
    This is exactly why this is a tough question to ask/answer on a forum. Simply because you will get people that don't like one bow or another and will give bad information regarding a certain brand.

You really can't go wrong with any of the top manufacuterer out there today. All make great bows. It's all a matter of what feels best for you. The only way to find that out is to head to a couple different shops and test shoot as many different bows as you can.
    Most likely one will pick you.

As far as type of bow, I personally would get a hunting-type bow, as stated above, and use it for 3-D as well.

thats why he asked for an opinion I guess.......

and we all know what they say about opinions.....

let me guess Sniper....single cams are outdated technology......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    thats why he asked for an opinion I guess.......

and we all know what they say about opinions.....

let me guess Sniper....single cams are outdated technology......

in case you missed it the more cams the better. I heard Hoyt was coming out with a 3 cam bow next year... its supposed to be twice as good as their 1 1/2 cam bows!
    No I'm not dead

Thanks for all your suggestions. I agree completely picking a bow is a very subjective very personal. Since there are so many manufactures of bows out there I'd like to narrow the scope down and I think this thread has done that. So now I can focus on three or four manufacutres and go from there. I also like the idea of getting a hunting bow rather than a 3d bow. I was leaning the other way.

Some pointed me to a Bowtech Allegiance it appears to be a fast bow and with a 34" A2A seems like a good match for what I'm looking for on paper. I will also check out the Ross and a few others.

I'm also hearing that there is better value right now than Hoyt and Mathewes which I always regarded as bieng the best.

Thanks again I know it's hard to answer because it is so objective that's why I asked for oppions since we each have our own and it gives me a good starting point.

take a look at the classifieds on this and other sites and compare resale prices.....

should give you a pretty good idea on resale value and how well CERTAIN companies hold there value.....

but then again Mathews is outdated technology.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

If your thinking of buying used, then a Mathews conquest (1,2,or 3) and the Hoyt ultra-tec or pro-tec would be good all-arounders.

What about the Hoyt Trykon XL? There not cheap though.
    Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    If your thinking of buying used, then a Mathews conquest (1,2,or 3) and the Hoyt ultra-tec or pro-tec would be good all-arounders.

You don't hear of to many winning with the Trykon. Pro elite and ultra elite, but they're pricey. Pro tec and ultra tec for us regular guys. The new version of these is the pro 38 and ultra 38. I personally would find it hard not to go with a conquest, but I like a long ATA, and I am kind of a Mathews fan.
    Last edited by red44; 06-29-2007 at 04:15 PM.