You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Help me find a bow

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to bow hunting I have always hunted using a rifle and my 7mm has never let me down. Anyway I want to start bow hunting it looks like a challenge and there is a couple of prime locations in my area where the land owner would let me hunt If i didn't use a rifle. I know shooting a bow is no day in the park. What I'm looking for is a good bow for the price but maybe a step up from a starter there is always room for me to step up later if If I like it. I was looking at the Fred Bear bows(Element and Instinct) with the package deals they look pretty reasonable. I don't no anything about anything about bows other then axle to axle, I went to my local archery shop and the idiot in there told me that it would take me about five years of paractice before I could even think about stepping into the woods with a bow. I have talked to a few local hunters and they were saying something about my draw lenght v/s my height so for the books I'm 6'3'' with a 78'' wing span arm to arm. All the information that I can get about technical and choosing a bow would be much appriciated. Thanks flipmo

Quote Originally Posted by flipmo View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm new to bow hunting I have always hunted using a rifle and my 7mm has never let me down. Anyway I want to start bow hunting it looks like a challenge and there is a couple of prime locations in my area where the land owner would let me hunt If i didn't use a rifle. I know shooting a bow is no day in the park. What I'm looking for is a good bow for the price but maybe a step up from a starter there is always room for me to step up later if If I like it. I was looking at the Fred Bear bows(Element and Instinct) with the package deals they look pretty reasonable. I don't no anything about anything about bows other then axle to axle, I went to my local archery shop and the idiot in there told me that it would take me about five years of paractice before I could even think about stepping into the woods with a bow. I have talked to a few local hunters and they were saying something about my draw lenght v/s my height so for the books I'm 6'3'' with a 78'' wing span arm to arm. All the information that I can get about technical and choosing a bow would be much appriciated. Thanks flipmo
    WELCOME to the forum and Welcome to the wonderful world of archery. The Fred Bear bows are great for the price. For around $500 you should be able to get all setup and with the right practice can be ready to hunt in just a few months. There are some things to keep in mind---Draw length is very important, if your wingspan is 78" then your DL should be around 31" which is very long not sure how many bows you can find with that long a draw but before you buy a bow be sure to have a couple of proshops to measure your draw to be sure. Also Draw weight is a major factor, most hunters are in the 55-65 pound range but do not try to hunt with too much weight. You should be able to sit in a chair, raise your feet slightly off the floor and draw the bow smoothly and slowly. If you have to strain or sky(point at the ceiling) then it is too much weight. Again I would have a proshop watch you draw and then decide whether you should go with a bow that maxes out at 60# or 70#. For hunting in North America that is plenty of weight. I know several people who kill deer every year with bows only pulling 40 or 50 pounds but since your a pretty good size fella I would suggest you go with more weight. Please PM me if you have any questions and I will try my best to help you out. Alot of great guys on here to add info for ya.

"HONDA"

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

With your height and draw length, I would opt for a longer ATA but that's just me. It will be more stable for you along with a string angle that doesn't resemble a >.

I'd also look for something with a brace height of 7 1/2" or more.

The longer ATA bows with the larger brace heights should make for a much more enjoyable shooting experience for a beginner.

Do you know any archers locally that you trust? They would be your best bet to help you get started.

Good luck, archery is very addicting.

I went out yesterday after work and looked at acouple of different bows. The Fred Bear felt a little small for me and the Martin that they had in the store didin't do it for me either. I Think that I'm going to settle on the Reflex Growler it felt good and the guy said that it would last me a good while. Does anyone out there own or know anyone that ones a Reflex. It seemed like a real good entry level bow. Any information is appriciated. Flipmo

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

Hoyt don't make junk. Reflex is made by Hoyt and although I've never shot a Reflex, I have shot a bunch of Hoyts in my time.

It should last you a long time if you stay with it. It should also make a fine hunting bow.

Glad you found one you are comfortable with.

Now get out there and practice practice practice.
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Considering the comment from the Bozo at the bow shop, you need another bow shop.