You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Old vs. New FPS

Default Old vs. New FPS

Hi all! First time posting here.

I notice the new bows are quiet, faster and look drastically different than the boys of old.

While browsing for a new bow, I see many bows churning 300+ FPS. What were the old Hoyts, PSE's, etc of 15 years ago producing? Lastly, if a bow states 315 FPS with the max draw weight of 70# - how much of a difference is it if it's set at 50#?

To get the speeds of today's bows the older bows had to be pulling 80+lbs for the most part.
    Poundage is not the only thing affecting bow speed. Draw length plays a major part as well as what accessories you have on your string. The weight of your arrow is another major factor.

IBO speeds are based on a bow with a 30" draw set at 70lbs shooting a 350gr arrow.

Generally this is the breakdown:
    For every inch of draw length you go down you will lose 10 FPS

For every 5# draw weight you go down you will lose 10 FPS

For every 3 grains of weight your arrow is over IBO ( 5 grains per pound) you will lose 1 FPS

For every 3 grains of weight you add to your string you will lose 1 FPS

Default Scottys right!

In the day 20 years ago i had a PSE Mach-4 at 72lbs a 5 inch browning ultimate over-draw shooting beman hunters with a 6% nib.glue-in point.
    Arrow weight around 400gr total-23&3/4 would shoot 272fps
    I had one of the fastest in my club back then.
    Most bow's averaged around 225 to 250
    If you wanted to grab speed u had to shoot overdraw,cut the arrows short & change the spine,or crank your bow out to max!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Thanks for the replies! I was just browsing the web and came across a PSE X-force that states an IBO Speed of 342-350 FPS. As per Scotty's estimates, this bow in a 60/29 would result in a loss of 30 FPS so it would still be at 312 - 320 FPS. Much, much faster (quieter, less recoil, less weight, etc) than kbo's 20 year set-up!

Keep in mind speed isn't everything. Almost any bow on the market will out perform a 20yo bow.
    If you're in the market head to as many shops as you can find and shoot as many different bows as you can. One will most likely pick you.

The faster bows may not draw as easy as some of the bows in the 320fps range and may also be a lot more finicky to shoot meaning they will be more critical of form flaws.

Default Shop around!

Scottys,right shop around speed is nothing if you dont have a comfortable set-up.
    I shot the X-force its not that comfortable,on the other hand i shot the Mossy oak X, which is a single cam and way more comfortable to shoot.
    Im thinking about buying one before bow season!
    The bows today allow you to not hold to much poundage and still get all the speed you want.
    Now i shoot a pse-flash hunting 65lbs at 282fps and a baby-G target at 54lbs at 268fps thats all i need.
    Both of these bows are very comfortable to me & shoot fast enough without haveing to pull 70lbs like i did 20 years ago!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I agree with all the advice above. Let of also calculates in. Lower let off %s give a greater return on energy, therefor more speed.
    300FPS (approx) bows seem to shoot and draw very comfortably. I like to go fast, but there are some issues. If you are hitting tight at 300-310, FPS at 5 gr / lb celebrate and be content.

Speaking of old vs. new, my first bow (15 years ago) was a Hoyt Raider. I recently dug it up and have become re-interested in the sport again. It's set at 42# and 28inch draw length. Probably 50% let-off? Is it safe to assume this set-up was peaking at 175fps?

I think it's time to upgrade!

For what it's worth, I'm still shooting a PSE with round wheels. I've got carbon gold tips and may be shooting in the 220-230 range. What I like is the easy way the e-wheels breakover. Today's bows to me are harder to break over and you have to shoot a release. I like shooting fingers. What I found was over the years the more advanced my setup was the more likely I was to have target panic. Fought that problem for a long time! I like the more simple stuff. Good Luck!! Cam

Quote Originally Posted by xarlok View Post
    Speaking of old vs. new, my first bow (15 years ago) was a Hoyt Raider. I recently dug it up and have become re-interested in the sport again. It's set at 42# and 28inch draw length. Probably 50% let-off? Is it safe to assume this set-up was peaking at 175fps?

I think it's time to upgrade!
    I agree that it's probably time to upgrade, but the speed you could get from the Raider is purely subjective. Set up properly for speed it was probably capable of 200+ speeds.

If my feeble mind remembers right I had a new Jennings Arrowstar in 1977 that I was getting 232 fps out of. This was at 27 3/8" draw and 51# shooting a little over 5.5 gr/lb. This was for field shooting.

In 1993 I had a Darton Viper that was zipping at 281fps at 27 1/2" draw and 65#. Again at slightly over 5.5 gr/lb.

A lot is in knowing what it takes and really fine tuning for speed and accuracy. Always tinkering and never putting a bow in storage.

By comparison, today's bows are faster, but then they aren't shooting round wheels (Arrowstar) or energy wheels (Viper) either. From a personal standpoint I'd have to say one of the best innovations to come along is the reliability of today's bows. Not the speed. I can get speed.