You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default brand new 3d shooter

I would like to try shooting 3d. I was thinking I can use my hunting rig to start.
    This is what I am shooting. Tell me what you think and if I should make any changes.
    Hoyt trykon. 67 pounds 27 inch draw, ripcord rest, trophy ridge matrix 5 pin sight {I don't use 2 of the pins and am thinking of changing the sight},6in stab, Easton 3-39 a/c/c arrows with white wraps and 2in green and orange blazers. 100 grain points. scott sabre tooth release
    From the web sites I have been looking at I think I should use/get 4in vanes arrows with darker colored vanes and nocks, a 3 pin sight.
    I do not want to buy a new bow so the one I have is going to need to work for 3d and hunting.
    I have not even been to a 3d shoot yet. So any advise and help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 62flint View Post
    I would like to try shooting 3d. I was thinking I can use my hunting rig to start.
    This is what I am shooting. Tell me what you think and if I should make any changes.
    Hoyt trykon. 67 pounds 27 inch draw, ripcord rest, trophy ridge matrix 5 pin sight {I don't use 2 of the pins and am thinking of changing the sight},6in stab, Easton 3-39 a/c/c arrows with white wraps and 2in green and orange blazers. 100 grain points. scott sabre tooth release
    From the web sites I have been looking at I think I should use/get 4in vanes arrows with darker colored vanes and nocks, a 3 pin sight.
    I do not want to buy a new bow so the one I have is going to need to work for 3d and hunting.
    I have not even been to a 3d shoot yet. So any advise and help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

why change any of that stuff, vanes included, seems like a fine setup to me....and you may find you start using them other 2 pins if you start shooting alot of 3d's......if you shoot that bow well, just use that one the way it is now....go to a 3d and see what its all about, shoot in the hunter class and just have fun......
    I cut things up and split them down!

You got everything you need in your hand. You could go lighter on the point, pick up a few FPS. The sight is personal choice. Unless you want to shoot sanctioned matches, don't worry about the vanes. Blazers are the best. Enjoy the shoots. You be addicted soon.
    Gooble Gobble, Gooble Gobble, One of Us!

Default I agree!

Just like bowman said!
    Use what you have & then deside for yourself if you need any changes!
    It sounds like you allready have a pretty good set-up!
    Shoot & have fun!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Hey Kbohunt I think I live an hour or 2 east of you. Any shoots going on around richmond or fredricksburg?
    If I use a 2in vane and a 5 pin sight what class would I have to shoot in?
    I was thinking I may be placed in a higher class out of my skill level with these.
    I don't mind getting beat I just don't want to be ashamed and butt whipped. Going home

Hey Kbohunt I think I live an hour or 2 east of you. Any shoots going on around richmond or fredricksburg?
    I was thinking I may be placed in a higher class out of my skill level with these.
    I don't mind getting beat I just don't want to be ashamed and butt whipped. Going home
    shoot your best and never be ashamed.....I for one think all newbies should leave the score card on the table for there first few shoots....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default Hay,62!

You would shoot in the bowhunter class,as long as you dont have a moveable sight,or a stabilizer that is over 12inches!
    No shoot's in or around richmond the next couple of week's
    Go to the opening board on here:shoots forum,type in your zip & the distance you want to travel & all the shoots in that area will pop up!
    Also i shoot at Dixie Boman archery club & Fort lee AC. check out there web sights!
    If you want to come up & shoot with me after the Rinehart-100 Im shooting the week after that pm me!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Default Hay 62flint

Kingsboro boman in suffolk on the 14th 30-3D
    Get directions & Ill come down & walk you threw one!
    Are you close to this one?
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

all the above said.. If you want to be successfull at 3d practice yardage judging alot.... and work on shooting form. judging yardage is the whole key to 3d. you dont have to be a crack shot at 3d. just have to be able to judge very well. good luck. the rest will fall into place after you get the hang of it. and go to a local shoot to get some experience. others are usually very willing to help a new archer out on the rules and regs. good luck!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
    all the above said.. If you want to be successfull at 3d practice yardage judging alot.... and work on shooting form. judging yardage is the whole key to 3d. you dont have to be a crack shot at 3d. just have to be able to judge very well. good luck. the rest will fall into place after you get the hang of it. and go to a local shoot to get some experience. others are usually very willing to help a new archer out on the rules and regs. good luck!!
    Great advice!

You should work on judging yardage 2 or 3 times as much as shooting. Shooting is the easy part.
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

And please have fun at it. I have seen a few get so wrapped up in there scores that they forget it is fun. And if you shoot with people,don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the people shooting 3-D are all to willing to help if you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    Kingsboro boman in suffolk on the 14th 30-3D
    Get directions & Ill come down & walk you threw one!
    Are you close to this one?
    That's a great offer you made. Well Done! A forum post is easy, but taking the time to familiarize a new shooter is what needs to be done. You help the sport, make new friends, and get to shoot yourself.
    If you come to Limerick Bowmen, near Phila. You can be my guest. You deserve it for making the offer. It shows character.
    Just let me know when you come. I know you would enjoy the company of our active members. We'll get your foursome filled no problem.

Default Thanks sniper!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    That's a great offer you made. Well Done! A forum post is easy, but taking the time to familiarize a new shooter is what needs to be done. You help the sport, make new friends, and get to shoot yourself.
    If you come to Limerick Bowmen, near Phila. You can be my guest. You deserve it for making the offer. It shows character.
    Just let me know when you come. I know you would enjoy the company of our active members. We'll get your foursome filled no problem.
    If I ever come up that way id be delighted to shoot at Limerick with ya!
    As for new archers Im always up for showing a beginner the ropes of 3-D
    My dad once said to me:
    What we pass on in our live's will make us feel better, when we leave!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Default Dont worry about your score

its real easy to loose sight of having fun.. i'll shoot a fun round one weekend, next weekend shoot for a score, next 2 times for fun... just have FUN.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    If I ever come up that way id be delighted to shoot at Limerick with ya!
    As for new archers Im always up for showing a beginner the ropes of 3-D
    My dad once said to me:
    What we pass on in our live's will make us feel better, when we leave!
    You would really enjoy the shoot. Jay Are and some others of us are really putting on good shoots. Attendance is more than doubled in only 6 months, and still rising. There is good reason for that.
    "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life"