You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: New Guy

Default New Guy

First of all, hello from the new guy. I've come here looking for a place where I can learn more about archery, as I've just picked up the addiction this year. Currently, I am using a buddy's old bow (High Country Max Force). I didn't want to buy a bow until I had a chance to get some shooting under my belt, and my plan now is to purchase a bow next year.

At this point, my shooting will be limited to practice and hunting. I am interested in doing some 3D shooting, but not in any competitions (at least not in the forseeable future).

A few of my friends/aquaintances have Mathews bows - most are Outbacks, one Switchback, and one Legacy(?). They all love them and swear by them. My neighbor has a Hoyt V-Tech that I think sleeps in the bed between him and his wife. I also hear lots of good things about Bowtech. So my question is, for a beginner like myself, where should I start? I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to be left wanting more in only a year. I have looked at Reflex and PSE also. I am willing to spend $600 to $800 on a bow, but would like to remain below that if I can get a good bow. I have shot both a Swithback and an Outback and they make the High Country look like a relic. They are both extremely smooth and quiet. My problem is that I don't want to buy a Mathews just because that is what all my friends have - I'd like to get the best bow for the money. I'll buy any brand, as long as it works for me.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I have read numerous posts on this site where members have said how they want the site to grow. As a member of a couple other successful forums, I can tell you that not responding to a new members post is not the way to attract and keep new members. Even if you think a question is stupid or mundane, a simple hello or welcome would be appreciated...just something to think about for the future of this site.

Sorry for the delay in responding. We are not trying to ignore your post. Just been busy with business and haven't had a chance to check the board in a couple of days.

Are you looking for a new or used bow? Do you have any pro shops near you that have good used equipment?

You mentioned the Reflex line. This is a good line. You get the benefits of Hoyt technology without the price. The only down side to them is the cam adjustments only offer 1" instead of the 1/2" adjustments you get with the Hoyt.
    Are you looking to speed $600-800 complete or just for the bow?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Be a little patient for a response. Not everyone one here has enough expertise to answer your questions.

As to your question. I would take Chris' advice on the Reflex line but also look at the Diamond line of bows by Bowtech.