You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Suggestions for a better rest

Well we bought our bow today. It's nothing fancy, but it's a decent begginer recurve. We tried it out at Sportsman's Warehouse on their test range. Everything worked well, but I have trouble with the arrow slipping off the rest. I can hold it there with my left hand until I'm ready to shoot, but it twists the bow at a funny angle. I also tried a compound bow and had no trouble with the arrow slipping in the biscuit rest. I want the recurve for now as I want to learn the more traditional way of target shooting first. So, can I put a biscuit rest on the recurve? Or is there a better option for that type of bow?

Thanks guys!
    Katrina

Get a book or DVD on shooting a recurve. Do you want to shoot instinctivly or with sights? Usually the arrow comes off the rest like that from twisting the string with your fingers. What is the weight of the bow? Does it feel maybe alittle to high for you?

Quote Originally Posted by elmuyloco5 View Post
    Well we bought our bow today. It's nothing fancy, but it's a decent begginer recurve. We tried it out at Sportsman's Warehouse on their test range. Everything worked well, but I have trouble with the arrow slipping off the rest. I can hold it there with my left hand until I'm ready to shoot, but it twists the bow at a funny angle. I also tried a compound bow and had no trouble with the arrow slipping in the biscuit rest. I want the recurve for now as I want to learn the more traditional way of target shooting first. So, can I put a biscuit rest on the recurve? Or is there a better option for that type of bow?

Thanks guys!
    Katrina

I will be of absolutely no help to you since your bow is missing its wheels. I'm sure someone will pick up my slack. They should be used to it by now...
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

The arrow flipping off while you are drawing means your not holding the string properly. You need to get a deeper grip on the string before drawing back. This way the string will roll slightly toward the right and help keep the arrow on the shelf or rest.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

I disagree, rolling the string is not part of proper draw.
    Fred Asbell has a good book on traditional shooting and Byron Ferguson has a good DVD. I recomend watching and reading from the people who have put in alot more time in this subject.
    After some reasearch you will see there are some similarities between recurves and compounds but they should be treated and studied as separates. You will get some good ground work if watch or attend a target(with sights) class or DVD. PSE has a training camp in Arizona.
    Enjoy!!

Default Re-curve!

All the guys are right your gripping the string & twisting the arrow off the shelf!
    I shoot 2 different recurves, 1 off the shelf & 1 off a springey rest.
    Get a book on shooting form & it will show you different forms or ways to hold & shoot.
    I shoot 3 fingers under the arrow & look down the arrow like looking down a gun barrel.
    It will show you this form to.
    Try finding Fred Bear's, The archers Bible,the best in action.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elmuyloco5 View Post

Thanks guys!
    Katrina
    Check your pm's.
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Also try shooting 3 fingers under your arrow and make sure you are not to close to the arrow nock. this can cause what you are talking about. A very good friend of mine is strictly traditional and has won the last 2 ASA Pro/Ams and 2nd at Cloverdale this year and last and this is how he taught me to shoot my recurves and long bow. Hope this helps.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
    Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
    Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
    A.S.A. IL. State Director

Thanks everyone for the advice!

The bow might be a bit to heavy of a draw for me, but being such a newbie, I'm not sure. The guy at Sportman's said it looked fine for me. I tried a compound, and the 30 lbs seemed like nothing, but then again, it had a zero let off, so I wasn't holding it for long. The recurve felt fine, but different because I was holding the weight there while I was pathetically trying to aim I was holding the string with one finger on top and two underneath, so I will try the other way to see if I can control the arrow better. One of the times, I accidentally put my pinky on there too. Stung like the dickens when I shot.....doubt I'll do that again My husband had them take the sticky rest off that came with the bow and put a flipper rest on, but in my opinion, I think it won't do much to hold it on any better.

We're trying to keep the costs way down as we aren't sure that our kids will like this sport or not, and we try to do things as a family. So, we're only getting them one child's bow and my hubby and I got ours to share as well. It's a 30 lb draw so that he has enough without making it too hard for me. I only shot it three times (cause I was in a store) and I was ok with it. My arm wasn't hurting or anything. I was "so-so" on the aim and hit to the right and to the left of the center line they had. But I think that I could have done better , as I think I was twisting the bow when I was trying to hold the arrow up while aiming. We're joining the local club here in a few weeks when we get all of our gear purchased and some of the members are certified instructors and have offered to give us classes for free (super nice of them!).

Do recurve people just not use biscuit rests? I know it's not allowed in tournaments and such, but for regular shooting? We haven't decided whether or not we're going to put sights on yet.