You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default eye dominance question

First off, hello all, newbie here.
    I've just recently been interested in archery and was researching some basics before buying anything.I seen this article on determining eye dominance and found that even though I am right handed, my left eye is the dominant eye and I should shoot left handed.Is this real important? Because it will be very akword trying something left handed but I will if it is the best way.

thanks for your advice.

The answer is "it depends". How bad is the eye dominance problem?
    If you can't look through a peep with the non dominate eye. Then yes shoot with whatever hand is the same as the eye dominace.

I am left eye dominate but shoot right handed. I have trained myself to look through the peep. Some people just can't do it.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

thanks for the reply, I'll try that.

I stand to prove the eye dominace theory wrong. Although I do agree with the admin saying it depends on how bad your dominance is.

I shoot right handed, but my left eye is dominant. I have a miniscule adjustment made on my sight to compensate for the dominance. I've posted scores of 290+/300 during our shops archery league.

don't worry about it. so many other things matter more than eye dominance.

hope this helps!
    shoot straight.

DTP_HoytTec
    2006 Hoyt Trykon, 29" at 58#
    UltraRest Drop Away
    Target - Copper John PAA Sight
    Hunting - HHA Optimizer rheostat
    Fuse Tec. 4" Camo Stabilizer
    Medium/Black Vapor Trail Strings & Cables
    Beaver Balls
    Bohning Lynx 4
    Alpha Shox
    CX 200 w/white dip & 4" NAP Quickspins

My oldest son is "very" right handed. And, he is "very" left eye dominant. He is 14.

His cross dominance issue is such that if he tries to close his left eye, his right eye closes also. Short of stapling his right eyelid to his forehead, we found an easy fix.

He shoots firearms left handed now after some practice. But, he prefers to shoot a bow right handed.

The easy fix.....He got himself an eye patch from the drug store for about $3. He wears it over his left eye. He keeps it flipped up until he is ready to shoot. Then, he flips the patch down, over his left eye. Thus, his left eye is open, but blinded by the patch.

I am not saying that this is the overall fix. Just a tip to try.

Hope that helps.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Im right handed but left eye dominant and i shoot both eyes open.
    If u try this it will take a while to get used to and in lowlight conditions it is easy to see through the peep with both eyes open.