You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Cam Lean Question

OK, I just put a new string/cable on my Ovation.

After I got that done I put an arrow on the idler wheel and the cam appears to be leaning in towards the riser when looking down from the top of the bow.
    It's leaning a couple of degrees at the most.

My question is this: Should the idler be parallel with the string or will the idler get straightened out when you draw the bow ? The reason I ask this is because if you look where the string is on the cam/string groove itself, the string does not look to be in the exact center of the limb, which would imply that a side force would be creared when you draw the bow...

Thanks for any help on this.

Ron

Here is what I was told. If you lay an arrow on the idler on the opposite side of the cable guard, it should be about 1/8" away from the nock point on that side of the string. When you draw the bow, the forces from the cable guard will pull the idler back to straight. Set it this way and the draw your bow and look at the bow string. It should look like it is coming off the idler straight....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Here is what I was told. If you lay an arrow on the idler on the opposite side of the cable guard, it should be about 1/8" away from the nock point on that side of the string. When you draw the bow, the forces from the cable guard will pull the idler back to straight. Set it this way and the draw your bow and look at the bow string. It should look like it is coming off the idler straight....
    That might be confusing. If your bow is a right handed bow, put the arrow on the left side of the idler (looking from behind). The arrow should be left of the string at the nock point.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Thanks JC, I still may be a bit off but your suggestion makes sense and that's the train of thought I have on it. Of course it might also make sense for me to just call Mathews Tech Support and ask...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Thanks JC, I still may be a bit off but your suggestion makes sense and that's the train of thought I have on it. Of course it might also make sense for me to just call Mathews Tech Support and ask...

Ron
    That is what I did.....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=43031

There is a thread about tuning. There is a paragraph about setting idler lean. He starts out talking about using a laser, the talks about what I said....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Hey JC that was great.
    Thanks a ton.

Ron

Anytime.....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps