You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Helical or offset fletching, Which One ???

I have been getting my arrows for years from an archery shop, But I am wanting to start fletching my own, and I am not sure what to get! All my arrows seem to have a right helical to them, but they also could be a right offset, i am not sure.
    I have seen arrows fletched with what seems more of a offset to them than what i have currently, so i am not sure if they are true right helical, or offset!

Also if they are offset, how do you fletch to get the offset? and would I be better off just getting a right helical fletching jig ? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Offset will be adjusted by your fletching jig. Helical will be determined by the clamps that you buy. What type of fletching do you plan on using? Will you be using carbon arrows as well. Since carbon arrows have smaller diameter, it is harder to get Helical with offset if you are using longer vanes. H ave switched to Blazer vanes and shorter feathers for my arrows using straight clamp w/ offset.

Quote Originally Posted by j3dGuam View Post
    Offset will be adjusted by your fletching jig. Helical will be determined by the clamps that you buy. What type of fletching do you plan on using? Will you be using carbon arrows as well. Since carbon arrows have smaller diameter, it is harder to get Helical with offset if you are using longer vanes. H ave switched to Blazer vanes and shorter feathers for my arrows using straight clamp w/ offset.
    What is the difference? I must be a dummy cause I thought they were the same thing.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    What is the difference? I must be a dummy cause I thought they were the same thing.

Helical Clamps have a twist on them where as straight clamps are flat. You can use a straight clamp with left or right offset on the jig but helical clamps are direction specific.

Quote Originally Posted by j3dGuam View Post
    Helical Clamps have a twist on them where as straight clamps are flat. You can use a straight clamp with left or right offset on the jig but helical clamps are direction specific.
    Ok. Now I get it. Thanks for the rsponse!
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

I shoot offset with my blazers. Works very good for me. Whatever you decide good luck with building your own arrows. Just be sure to use some good quality glue.

"HONDA"

building your own arrows, is really fun, and very self rewarding when you are done...
    I cut things up and split them down!