You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Scent Control

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Binger, OKLA
    Posts
    10

    Default Scent Control

    Please share your tips and tricks on controlling your scent.

    Thanks,

    rt

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ny911bowhunter View Post
    That there is some really good stuff about it and I follow it pretty close. Here tha scoop on my stuff. Astko makes some really good soaps for cloths and body. been doin em for years also have a scent spray but ya must mix it and it saves a ton of $$. .... I also use a deorant called pit stop It has zinc in it. If ya stink take zinc. Ol saying. Ya can use desitine,baby dapier rash stuff. much less expensive .this type stuff last for 8 to 10 days. I use from head ta toe.
    I take zinc tabs during season as well as grass tabs ,,colophli ,keeps stink down.

    We are predators and eat meat and have a smell of it. tha indians went on veggie diets before hunts.

    If ya hunt with it it will have a smell so spray it.

    Keep an eye on tha wind .

    One other thing astko has a product that when sprayed on cloths will block uv out of em.last a long time. I get much closer now and seeing bigger bucks. been doing it for 4 yrs great stuff. i'd rate it a 15 out of 10
    http://www.atsko.com/
    Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smkes
    Last edited by Holy Smokes; 07-11-2007 at 11:59 PM.



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  4. #4
    Guest Gator eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the horn of Michigan
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    I wash clothes in scent free soap and hang them in a pine tree to dry for a few days, if they get rained on all the better. Get a big plastic storage container sprayed down with scent away to store clothes in.

    I always dress outside.

    If hunting a farm I alway try to step in cow, or horse poop on the way to the woods or field edge.

    Take a apple with you on the stand and chew pieces real slow to help hide your breath. When it get real cold I find dried apple pieces to carry.

  5. #5
    Senior Member MeanV2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SE Illinois
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    To me scent control is an all or nothing proposition, which includes monitoring the wind/air flow as best you can. I use every trick I can to gain as many advantages as possible, regardless of how large or small it might be. I think it has payed off for me more times than once.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

  6. #6
    RIP Ronhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    I don't use scent control clothing at all. And I basically avoid the gimmicks of the scent control chemicals that are out there except for the scent free chothes wash.

    I wash hunting clothes with a little baking soda and a little scent free clothes wash. I rinse them twice. I hang them to dry in the basement, or ideally outside, away from scent in general. I store them in rubbermaid containers that I made my own air-tight seals using silicone sealer to keep the air out, which I can post how to do this if you guys want. I put Earth Scent wafers in the containers for a cover scent.

    I wash myself with water and use baking soda as a 'soap' in the morning before heading out.

    I spray baking soda and water on the bottom of my boots before I head out toward a stand. I also try my best to avoid touching any cover with my bear hands or anything else when scouting or putting out stands before the season starts. I treat putting out stands like I was in hunting conditions.

    I don't put any scent control at all on my bow, arrows, etc... I also brush my teeth with baking soda and water. Yeah, it's salty/gross but I don't have to breathe my potentially bad breath wearing a camo veil.

    That's a good post/question. It will be good to hear other's posts on this...

    Ron

  7. #7
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I don't use scent control clothing at all. And I basically avoid the gimmicks of the scent control chemicals that are out there except for the scent free chothes wash.

    I wash hunting clothes with a little baking soda and a little scent free clothes wash. I rinse them twice. I hang them to dry in the basement, or ideally outside, away from scent in general. I store them in rubbermaid containers that I made my own air-tight seals using silicone sealer to keep the air out, which I can post how to do this if you guys want. I put Earth Scent wafers in the containers for a cover scent.

    I wash myself with water and use baking soda as a 'soap' in the morning before heading out.

    I spray baking soda and water on the bottom of my boots before I head out toward a stand. I also try my best to avoid touching any cover with my bear hands or anything else when scouting or putting out stands before the season starts. I treat putting out stands like I was in hunting conditions.

    I don't put any scent control at all on my bow, arrows, etc... I also brush my teeth with baking soda and water. Yeah, it's salty/gross but I don't have to breathe my potentially bad breath wearing a camo veil.

    That's a good post/question. It will be good to hear other's posts on this...

    Ron
    I used so much baking soda back in tha early 90's that I thought i was goning blind but tha doc told told me that I was allergic to something.. Guess what Backing soda. Over
    kill



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  8. #8
    Senior Member gmherps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    239

    Default

    I have never really worried about the wind too much since most of my hunting is in a Matrix.
    I wear X-Scent under garments and use H.S. Scents or White Lightening scent control spray. I believe if your odor control is in check the wind will take care of itself.

    I had a buck at 17 yards 2 years ago and the wind was blowing right to him, and he never knew I was there because my scent control was in check.
    Greg Holland
    Owner of GMHERPS Hunting and Reptiles

    http://www.imageevent.com/gmherps

  9. #9
    Banned midevilarcher5575's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmherps View Post
    I have never really worried about the wind too much since most of my hunting is in a Matrix.
    I wear X-Scent under garments and use H.S. Scents or White Lightening scent control spray. I believe if your odor control is in check the wind will take care of itself.

    I had a buck at 17 yards 2 years ago and the wind was blowing right to him, and he never knew I was there because my scent control was in check.
    to control my sent i dont eat any meat what so ever no meat at all for the whole hunting season the reason for this is meat is what makes you stink no dipping no smoking shower everday with unsented soap and so on and so forth.it is hard not to eat that juicy tender tasty steak but if you want to be scentless then don't

  10. #10
    Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    355

    Default

    I ususally look to see which direction the smoke off of my cigarette is blowing and just head upwind from there.
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

    http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I ususally look to see which direction the smoke off of my cigarette is blowing and just head upwind from there.
    LOL I do that too.... I do alot of spotting in the morning for elk, then try to set up on them for their evning trip to the water holes, first thing i do is light up a smoke and check the wind, and move accordinly, if im stand hunting for deer, i always chose the stand downwind from the movement of where they come from. I also use the scent free clothing wash, and like to spry my clothes down with carbon spray after each day. When elk hunting, ill go for 10 days at a time, so ill wash some clothes in a cooler as needed. But its pretty tough to be scent free as a smkoker, then spend 9 or so days hiking for 7 to 10 hours sometimes in 90+ degrees... so i focus mostly on wind direction. I also use micro balloons in a small plastic bottle to spray in the air to check wind while hiking.

  12. #12
    Guest Gator eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the horn of Michigan
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midevilarcher5575 View Post
    to control my sent i dont eat any meat what so ever no meat at all for the whole hunting season the reason for this is meat is what makes you stink no dipping no smoking shower everday with unsented soap and so on and so forth.it is hard not to eat that juicy tender tasty steak but if you want to be scentless then don't

    Man that's not scent control...

    That's just plain torcher!!~

    I like my back strap still quivering.

    Happyness is a fire next to a gut pile.

  13. #13
    RIP Ronhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I ususally look to see which direction the smoke off of my cigarette is blowing and just head upwind from there.


    Ron

Similar Threads

  1. Scent Control Products
    By MTColl28734 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
  2. Scent Control Issue
    By IAHunter11 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 11:47 PM
  3. Scent Control
    By QDAWG44 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
  4. Scent Control
    By Holy Smokes in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 04:58 PM
  5. scent blocker/scent lok, or waste of money????
    By DEER MEAT in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 12:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •