You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Compare Climbing tree stands

Hello,

I am going to purchase a climbing tree stand. I have narrowed my choices down between two stands. The first one is the Razor X5 made by Summit and the second one is the Non Typical made my ameristep. If you could give me any pros and cons between the two this would be a huge help to me.

Thank

MNWildhunter

A couple of my staff shooters have the summits and they really like them. The don't pack as well as the lone wolf but they are very comfortable.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    A couple of my staff shooters have the summits and they really like them. The don't pack as well as the lone wolf but they are very comfortable.
    Ther really is very little to compare. Summit is hands down, one of the better stands you can get. Depending on how much you pay attention to detail, they are very quiet while going up or down. Very stable when in position. I've never had a stand as good as this. The seat is pretty comfortable, as I've spent as much as 11 hours a day in mine. If it has one drawback it is that the seat dows not fold back so you can stand and lean back against the tree with ease. You'll be able to get parts and accessories easier for a Summit because it is made here, and not China.

You can do what you want, but I would recommend the Viper X5. Some guys don't like the bar in front. They have some notion that someday (maybe once in a lifetime) it's gonna cost them a shot at a deer, and it might. But I've had a lot of stands and I find the bar to be very nice for sit-n-climb, making climbing easier and more quiet. It also gives a reference when standing as you can have a knee touching it when you are standing, so it helps for orientation. The same holds true on windy days. When I'm sitting I lay my bow right across the bar in front of me, and sometimes just lean back and take a nap (maybe too often). Just some thoughts.

Default Lone Wolf

In your oppinion is it worth the extra money to buy the Lone wolf?

Not til they come out with a comfortable seat. Till then I consider them overpriced by about $100. I got no complaint with the foot platform. The seat section is what needs improvement for the comfort of the hunter.

Another brand that I think is coming along nicely is NorthStarr. Take a look at them.

Check out the new lonewolf climber, it looks like it would be more comfortable
    than the previous model, they are also extremely quiet and easy to pack, and if you use their climbing sticks they attach right to the stand, I do agree that they are priced a bit to high.

Why would you need climbing sticks with a climber? I do have a set of their sticks---very good IMO. I just came from Lone Wolf's website and either they haven't changed the stands or the website. In either case I still can't see the money for their Alpha Sit-n-Climb.

I'll tell ya guys. I've had my share of stands over the years (decades) and going cheap is not an option anymore. I sold three stands this year and still have about 5. The el-cheapo's that I've had for years just seem to hang around the shed. They were OK for their time, but the older I get the steeper the hills become and the flatter my ass gets. Therefore the stands have to get lighter and more comfortable. Price is not an object for me, but I still want the best bang for the buck.

I used to rep for NorthStarr and they used a 500lb piano wire around the tree instead of a cable. I had one and just didn't care for it. Since then they have made some vast improvements (first observation) such as using a belt around the tree (like Lone Wolf) and now they also fold down for packing. And at 16-17 lbs these are starting to get my interest again. Think I'll take a walk over to their website. See ya later.

bfisher,
    I also use the climber in trees you can't climb with a climber, I will climb with the sticks and then pull the stand up and set it up, they are so much more comfortable than a regular portable, I'am pretty tall so my legs get cramped up in some portables, I like to put the bottom platform down a ways from the seat so I don't have a bunch of movement when I stand up, plus its more comfy,

OK, I guess I've used climbers as climbers for so long that I used to do it your way--long long time ago.