You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: CSS bows

Hybrid View

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

Default CSS bows

Anybody shot the CSS bows with their dual cam? Do they have a valley to them?

I see they have several options to choose from like cams, grips, colors, ATA lengths. Seems like a neat idea. It would be nice if there were more companies doing this.

I also see that they have trinary cams. Isn't that what HCA calls their cams?
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Anybody shot the CSS bows with their dual cam? Do they have a valley to them?

I see they have several options to choose from like cams, grips, colors, ATA lengths. Seems like a neat idea. It would be nice if there were more companies doing this.

I also see that they have trinary cams. Isn't that what HCA calls their cams?
    Yes they both call them Trinary, but they're different. With the CSS trinaries, you can have single, dual and hybrid all with the same base cam, you just swap modules. You'd need an idler wheel with the single cam, of course.

It's a neat idea, but I don't know how practical it is. I imagine the main reason they do it is to cut down on manufacturing costs. I've never seen or shot a CSS, but they do seem like nice bows.

I'd like to try that Mountaineer recurve of theirs too.

I used to really want one of those PSE Coyotes, but the brace height was just too short for me to spend my $$$$$$ on it.

There is just something about being able to use a sight, stabilizer, and a rest on a recurve that I'd like to try.

I hear that you can buy a used CSS and get factory upgrades for it. I REALLY like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I'd like to try that Mountaineer recurve of theirs too.

I used to really want one of those PSE Coyotes, but the brace height was just too short for me to spend my $$$$$$ on it.

There is just something about being able to use a sight, stabilizer, and a rest on a recurve that I'd like to try.

I hear that you can buy a used CSS and get factory upgrades for it. I REALLY like that idea.
    I'll have to check out the Mountaineer. I'd love to try a metal riser recurve. I'd like to have a Hoyt Gamemaster, but I'm a cheapskate and it physically hurts me to let go of that much cash for something I'd probably shoot about 5 times a year.

I'd like to have a Hoyt Gamemaster, but I'm a cheapskate and it physically hurts me to let go of that much cash
    I'm with ya 100%.

what would you like to know about the CSS bows?

ive been shooting them for 3+ years.

some of the quiet things that CSS builds into or uses in their bows are the trinary cams. convertable to whatever style floats your boat. the term trinary was first used in late 2005 when the OS3 cams came to market, about a year before high country used the term.

one of a few manufacturers that still has an adjustable cable guard allowing you to tune clearance and cam lean to your taste.

factory strings are vapor trail.

limb cups have zero gaps so shimming is not an issue. they use the same basic format in the limb pockets as martin.

cams are drawlength adjustable by module in inch increments and fine tuneable by draw stop. there are also string pegs that allow you to adjust by the half inch. by using the string pegs, you do need to relocate the nock point.

as far as a valley, the least amount of valley would be in the OS3 or hybrid setup. the OS2 or 2 cam setup will have the most valley and is also the fastest cam setup.

there is a rear accessory hole thats tapped with the standard 5/16"x24 and a stainless steel front stab bushing.

the OS1 is the single cam setup. for that you would need the solid idler. the benefits of the solid idler is that it weighs the same as the cam, balancing the limb tips and keeping the bottom cam kick to a minimum.

as they come up with improvments with cam design and other things, you can purchase the upgrade kits. my system41 that i shoot now was originally a P1 single cam that i upgraded to OS3 style. my personal favorite is the OS3.

as you've seen, the options within a model are quite numerous. well built bows designed to not be obsolete next year.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask by pm or here.
    I am an archer. It doesnt matter what venue i shoot, I AM an archer