You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Doesn't make sense

I've had a Fred Bear Code now for going on a year and it shoots great. the only thing is as I go to 30 yards and beyond, the arrows begin to drop alot. I'm talking 6 inches from around 20 yards to around 30 yards. this doesn't make sense bcuse it is shooting what many would consider fast. I have a drop away rest and Easton axis arrows and as far as I know there is no contact between the arrow and the bow or rest. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

How much do your arrows weigh? And what is your speed?

And
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Sounds like your cables have stretched and your dropaway rest in dropping too soon. Try snugging up the cord a very minute amount and see if that corrects your problem.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    How much do your arrows weigh? And what is your speed?

And
    I those are the important questions!!

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

I had a similer problem when I took some weight out of the tips on my 3D arrows out to 30 was great got more speed. but at 35 and out they dropped off like big dogs. It is amazing how much difference a little weight can make on the amount of energy your arrows carry down range.
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

For a hunting arrow a six inch drop from twenty to thirty doesn't sound that bad to me, but I use heavy arrows.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    For a hunting arrow a six inch drop from twenty to thirty doesn't sound that bad to me, but I use heavy arrows.
    yeah if you are shooting in the 220 - 240 range and using a 500+ grain arrow you will see significant drops in where you're arrow hits. My target arrows drop a good 4 - 5 inches when I'm shooting at 30 yards as opposed to my 3d arrows (same bow) which drop approx 2 inches between 20 and 30 yards.

my 3d arrows weigh around 310 grians, I think my target ones are in the 500 - 600 range.
    No I'm not dead

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

Then again, I believe my hunting arrows are going to come in right over 500 grains, so my point of view may be skewed.
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Gravity is a constant. 6 inches is about right from your limited description of equipment, since you gave no speed/weight numbers. The only way to cut down on it is to go faster, so the arrow travels farther in the same lenght of time, the time gravity is exerting it's influence. The longer the arrow is away from the string the faster it falls, until max velocity is achieved. You want know how fast it falls? Hold the arrow in your hand at rest level and drop it. A arrow in flight at 0 degrees elevation hits the ground at the same time as the one dropped at rest level. Newton and Galileo proved that. If you are using a helical, the drag of the vanes will slow your arrow faster in flight than a straight fletch. Fat arrows and big vanes cause more drag than skinny and thin. Physics.