You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MY brand new bow no where near IBO!!??. >:(

Hello fellas,
    one of the new guys here again. So I just dumped all my b-day money and some more into my brand new martin bengal set up. I got it yesterday. IBO is 310fps. Actual is 265 @ 70#/28" (364g arrow) Whats up??? I am greatly dissapointed.

I had been shooting an O-L-D 70# onieda eagle with the limbs shimmed a little to make 78# that old cus shot 297 untill finally the top limb cracked. ( I knew it would but, am impressed it took the abuse for 6 years)

Educate me men, or did i get a bad bow?

Tres

Quote Originally Posted by tresmon View Post
    Hello fellas,
    one of the new guys here again. So I just dumped all my b-day money and some more into my brand new martin bengal set up. I got it yesterday. IBO is 310fps. Actual is 265 @ 70#/28" (364g arrow) Whats up??? I am greatly dissapointed.

I had been shooting an O-L-D 70# onieda eagle with the limbs shimmed a little to make 78# that old cus shot 297 untill finally the top limb cracked. ( I knew it would but, am impressed it took the abuse for 6 years)

Educate me men, or did i get a bad bow?

Tres

Well, the 364 grain arrow will cost roughly 5-6fps off of the IBO rating.
    28" draw will cost you roughly 20fps more.

That still puts you roughly 15fps away from your adjusted IBO rating.

What all do you have on the bow string?
    What type of peep sight?
    Any brass nocksets?

Well you lost at least 20 FPS by going down 2 inches in draw length. Plus reductions with anything you put on the string.
    www.livingstongunclub.org
    www.jimposten.com for the finest stabilizers in the world
    www.meanvarchery.com Custom String Suppression for that shot of a lifetime
    Add some custom bling with a www.slingbraid.com

Site Guru

yup you are looking to get IBO speeds out of a bow not shooting IBO specs...
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    yup you are looking to get IBO speeds out of a bow not shooting IBO specs...
    YEAH.......what he said.

"HONDA"

no brass nock sets on the string, just a minimal nylon d-loop and 2 limbsaver string silencers.
    ???

What to do to get max speed, but still have deer killer?
    Last edited by tresmon; 07-29-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: need to add question

Site Guru

no brass nock sets on the string, just a minimal nylon d-loop and 2 limbsaver string silencers.
    ???
    That'll cost you another 10 (give or take).

When they take the IBO speeds its always:

70# Draw 30"
    Nothing on the string
    exactly 350 grain properly spined arrow
    Perfectly timed and tuned

Really IBO speeds are unrealistic for the most part. I normally take the IBO speed and deduct 30 FPS and expect to hit that speed, sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under but its a good guide for "real life shooting" (I shoot a 30 inch draw)

- AS for deer killer... you've got one in your hands. Dropping arrow weight will increase speed but the tradeoff is a loss of effective KE and penetration power.

- You can up the poundage but it may not be comfortable to shoot

- Replace the strings with a set that may gain you more speed, typically the fewer the strands the faster

- remove stuff from the string

- grow longer arms
    Last edited by Dredly; 07-29-2007 at 11:26 AM.
    No I'm not dead

???

What to do to get max speed, but still have deer killer?
    265 FPS is plenty to hunt with, people have been harvesting deer for years with speeds lower than that!

so the martin literature says to go no less than 5 grn. arrow/#. is that rock soild, on do folk go a little lighter per pound? I'm looking for flat trajectory (aren't we all)

so the martin literature says to go no less than 5 grn. arrow/#. is that rock soild, on do folk go a little lighter per pound? I'm looking for flat trajectory (aren't we all)
    The string leechs will slow you down just a few fps. I did not catch what type of peep sight you have?

Another note, you would have to increase speed dramatically to have a noticable difference in your pin gap. 265 is doing pretty good.

While you can tweek to achieve a few more fps, there are two ways to get a BUNCH more speed......

1. Shoot way higher draw weight
    2. Get a bow that has a much higher IBO rating.

Hope this helps....

Well the Bengal is a very nice hunting bow. But if you were looking for a faster arrow, the Bengal might not have been the first choice.

I would tend to agree w/most of the comments including......takethe IBO spec from MOST bows and drop 30fps, right off the bat and then go from there.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

This is a pretty standard rule of thumb period. I for one will NOT ever go below what that rating is. I value my hands and eyes and whatever else could get injured if an arrow exploded or the bow did some crazy thing.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Cameron,

I'm a poor boy. I was offered the factory new virgin Martin Bengal for $340. What bow would you recomend for a poor boy?

Everyone,
    So I'm thinking if I loose the d-loop, shoot from the string with my tru short-n-sweet release and use a speed nock, I could gain 1-1.5 in draw length. is an inch and a half worth the serving wear and begging someone at the local club, (of which i'm not nor can afford to be a member) to re-set it all up?

how much fps might i gain w and extra 1.5" draw @ 70 lbs.? (I'm a full-time machinist- I could do it perfectly precise, and perfectly even.

What is the lightest grain arrow per pound I should shoot?

Does anyone shim limbs? I know it to be unorthodox, but what's the opinion there?

Thanks so much for everyone who is getting me up to speed!!!!
    Tres
    Last edited by tresmon; 07-29-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: more info

Let me hit a few comments here......

First, with a good release, serving wear should be no worse shooting directly off the string, than a loop causes.

Second, a Short and Sweet is an EXCELLENT release. It will gain you 1/2" to 3/4" effective draw length. But......it is designed to be used with a loop, not off the string.

Also, a couple of you guys are saying to take the IBO rating and subtract 30fps right off the bat......

Since I am a 29" draw guy, I take 10 off the IBO due to my draw length, and compare from there.

In 3-d shooting trim, ready to compete, my last 30-35 Hoyts have ALL achieved IBO.(taking that 10fps into consideration for my 29" draw)

Since I switched to Martins this year, I was coming up a little short. After some discussions with the guys at the factory, I am really close now, but still a few fps short.

If I ever had a bow that came up 30fps short of the IBO rating.....I would put it in a compactor and flatten it.

tresmon, where do you live?

You got a great deal on a nice bow! Keep shooting and forget about the quest for 10 more FPS!!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Let me hit a few comments here......

First, with a good release, serving wear should be no worse shooting directly off the string, than a loop causes.

Second, a Short and Sweet is an EXCELLENT release. It will gain you 1/2" to 3/4" effective draw length. But......it is designed to be used with a loop, not off the string.

Also, a couple of you guys are saying to take the IBO rating and subtract 30fps right off the bat......

Since I am a 29" draw guy, I take 10 off the IBO due to my draw length, and compare from there.

In 3-d shooting trim, ready to compete, my last 30-35 Hoyts have ALL achieved IBO.(taking that 10fps into consideration for my 29" draw)

Since I switched to Martins this year, I was coming up a little short. After some discussions with the guys at the factory, I am really close now, but still a few fps short.

If I ever had a bow that came up 30fps short of the IBO rating.....I would put it in a compactor and flatten it.

tresmon, where do you live?
    I meant for hunting useage... not many people hit the 5 gpp on a hunting arrow, mine go way high most of the time costing lots of speed, at sound dampeners, loop, peep, serving... etc. I hunt at 62 pounds normally and I find that 30 FPS less then IBO is pretty close to what I hit. If i put it back into spec and shoot IBO across the board i could probably get a lot closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I meant for hunting useage... not many people hit the 5 gpp on a hunting arrow, mine go way high most of the time costing lots of speed, at sound dampeners, loop, peep, serving... etc. I hunt at 62 pounds normally and I find that 30 FPS less then IBO is pretty close to what I hit. If i put it back into spec and shoot IBO across the board i could probably get a lot closer.

Gotcha! Misunderstanding on my part.......my hunting setup is way slower than IBO, maybe even 40fps slower.

Go buy a Cobra cable guard rod for $12, machine a little bracket, and make yourself a front mount STS so you can lose the string leeches. Shoot off the string to gain an inch, and you'll probably pick up 15-20 fps.

I would just shoot the thing and forget about all the speed is the only reason to buy a bow......

Have you shot the bow??

Do you like it??

does it hit where you are aiming??

then just get the thing sighted in and go kill something........
    I cut things up and split them down!