You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scent Control

Default Scent Control

hey, I have always wondered which scent control spray and/or detergent works the best, especially between scent killer, scent away, scent shield, and Dead downwind. I wonder is there is alot of gimics out there. Just wondering what u guys think or have had results with.

I use the Hunter Specialties products. I also carry a cold whash cloth with me. After I get setup I rub myself down with that cold cloth and it helps to stop the sweating.
    07' Mathews Drenalin
    Carbon Express forward weighted Maxima 350 hunter arrows
    Crest wrap with 2" blazer vanes
    Lumenok
    Scott Shark release
    Mathews HD convertable fall way rest
    G5 Montec and WASP Bullet heads

I'm going to try the Dead Down Wind brand this year.
    My reasoning.............I haven't used it before.

I use baking soda and distilled water in a generic spray bottle on my boots.
    I also wash clothes in scent free detergent, rinse them twice, and keep them in a air tight container with dirt/wet leaf scent from H.S. Scents. If I can dry them outdoors I will otherwise I dry them in the garage. I don't spray any scent control stuff on my clothes.

Ron

I ve tried the dead down wind, for me it was a waste of money. (Yes I did buy the whole package,soap,clothes wash, spray,ect..) I don't believe it worked any better if not worst than some of the cheeper products out there. I went back to plain old scent shield, I think it's still the best.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by QDAWG44 View Post
    hey, I have always wondered which scent control spray and/or detergent works the best, especially between scent killer, scent away, scent shield, and Dead downwind. I wonder is there is alot of gimics out there. Just wondering what u guys think or have had results with.
    Best stuff i've foud is at http://www.atsko.com/

check out thier uv killer it is tha stuff and I have encreased my deer sightins 50% of big deer
    great scent products as wwell

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

my wife was wondering about the huntress stuff as well...anybody's wife use the stuff? I was also thinking about trying the dead down wind stuff this year.

oh...and I use the scent killer spray before I go out to the woods.
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by QDAWG44 View Post
    DDW, pay a little more, its worth that animal of a life time.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

I wash my clothes in baking soda and I hang them in a tree to dry. Then I put them in a scent free bad with the dirt waffers. I wash with s cent free soap and brush my teeth with baking soda. I also use odorless deoderant.
    When I get to the woods I put my clothes on. I spray my boots down with scent eliminator. I enen cut meat out of my diet during the rut, just incase they can smell predator.

Am I crazy?
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Default bakeing soda!

in my boots, i bath in it wash my clothes in it,use it in a spray bottle!
    if it can take the smell out of your frig and freezer it can take the smell
    out of anything & has for years!
    Also i use h.s earth waffers,and white-oak acorn scent!
    Tinks silver vixon when im on the ground!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    in my boots, i bath in it wash my clothes in it,use it in a spray bottle!
    if it can take the smell out of your frig and freezer it can take the smell
    out of anything & has for years!
    Also i use h.s earth waffers,and white-oak acorn scent!
    Tinks silver vixon when im on the ground!
    Yeah, good use of the old baking soda. I use the heck out of that stuff during season. It does work, for sure, and it's cheap as heck. The Earth H.S. wafers are good too and they last a long time. I also throw a couple of those below the seats of my Jeep a few days before opening day. Never tried the acorn scent but they'll probably work just as well.

I never did use a cover scent (doe pee, etc...) on my bootm bottoms but if anyone has some good suggestions on that it might add something more to this post...

Also, the reason I use distilled water is that is has no minerals in it so it will absorb a lot more baking soda into the solution. It's not because tap water has a scent.

Good converstaion here.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 07-30-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    I wash my clothes in baking soda and I hang them in a tree to dry. Then I put them in a scent free bad with the dirt waffers. I wash with s cent free soap and brush my teeth with baking soda. I also use odorless deoderant.
    When I get to the woods I put my clothes on. I spray my boots down with scent eliminator. I enen cut meat out of my diet during the rut, just incase they can smell predator.

Am I crazy?
    No your not crazy... Of us that hunt are ALL crazy...
    I'll pass on the putting meat out of my diet though. My goal is to kill for the meat. It's kind of like an axymoron to not eat meat during the meat hunting season...
    Does that make sense ????

I may try one of the relatively new 'breath camo' gums that are out and about this year. Bad breath, from whatever reason, seems to be a hot topic in magazine articles these days.

Ron

Default Acorn scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Yeah, good use of the old baking soda. I use the heck out of that stuff during season. It does work, for sure, and it's cheap as heck. The Earth H.S. wafers are good too and they last a long time. I also throw a couple of those below the seats of my Jeep a few days before opening day. Never tried the acorn scent but they'll probably work just as well.

I never did use a cover scent (doe pee, etc...) on my bootm bottoms but if anyone has some good suggestions on that it might add something more to this post...

Good converstaion here.

Ron
    Along time ago i tried Bucks-stop doe-p I didnt like it so i tried Bucks-stop whiteoak acorn scent i where 2 earth scent waffers,& acorn on my pants!
    I use alot of scents that i have found work at different times.
    I use tinks-69 doe in rut during pre-rut around the 3rd week in october along with messing with this stuff i use a strong fox-p on my boots Tinks-silvervixion!
    I set bombs atleast 2 up and down wind of me and i use a doe bleat and i rattle,when i start seeing bucks tendin does!
    On opening day i use and do very little im watching the food source thats what there doin, i do what the deer do!
    And act when they act!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

No your not crazy... Of us that hunt are ALL crazy...
    I'll pass on the putting meat out of my diet though. My goal is to kill for the meat. It's kind of like an axymoron to not eat meat during the meat hunting season...
    Does that make sense ????

I may try one of the relatively new 'breath camo' gums that are out and about this year. Bad breath, from whatever reason, seems to be a hot topic in magazine articles these days.

Ron
    I have tried the gum and the alphalfa and honey flavor aint too bad.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default Peppermint!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I have tried the gum and the alphalfa and honey flavor aint too bad.......
    I stock up on bags of that red&white strip peppermint candy i even have rubbed it in my hands & beard.
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Along time ago i tried Bucks-stop doe-p I didnt like it so i tried Bucks-stop whiteoak acorn scent i where 2 earth scent waffers,& acorn on my pants!
    I use alot of scents that i have found work at different times.
    I use tinks-69 doe in rut during pre-rut around the 3rd week in october along with messing with this stuff i use a strong fox-p on my boots Tinks-silvervixion!
    I set bombs atleast 2 up and down wind of me and i use a doe bleat and i rattle,when i start seeing bucks tendin does!
    On opening day i use and do very little im watching the food source thats what there doin, i do what the deer do!
    And act when they act!
    Hey Ken, do you use a drag or just hit the boot bottoms and be done with it ?
    Nobody I hunt with uses a drag but a bunch of folks nearby use them like water from a faucet... We don't seem to have much difference in harvest but the drag guys seem to get more bucks than us, but not total deer.

Ron

I stock up on bags of that red&white strip peppermint candy i even have rubbed it in my hands & beard.
    What is the purpose of that? Do you have good success in doing that. I am always willing to learn a new trick.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

I used the H.S. products for over 10 yrs. and switched over to Dead Down Wind this past year and teamed it up with scent lock base layers and know feel darn near invisible.
    2005 Allegiance

Default Drag rag!

Hey Ken, do you use a drag or just hit the boot bottoms and be done with it ?
    Nobody I hunt with uses a drag but a bunch of folks nearby use them like water from a faucet... We don't seem to have much difference in harvest but the drag guys seem to get more bucks than us, but not total deer.

Ron
    Ha,Ron
    I take Tinks 69 doe in rut buck lure, Fill two 35mm film canisters with cotton,put a little maybe a tablespoon full in each, & put in a plastic bag.
    Then i take a piece of cloth the size of a wash-cloth and put about 1/4 of a 1oz bottle on the rag, tie a piece of serving string to it ( it wont break while dragging) and put the whole thing in a gallon zip-lock bag.
    The trick is to get far away from your truck down your trail if you dont ( the deer will back track to your truck) Pull it out in the dark and hold it outside of the path that your walking and dance it on the ground about every 3 feet!
    The doe doesnt p every inch go down the trail to your treestand or blind drag it past where you want the deer to walk & hang it in a overhang limb about 1 to 3 feet off the ground (around 20yds from your stand)
    Then check the wind and set the bombs you made 20yds up wind and 1 down wind from you!
    Get in your stand and wait 30min, grunt 3 loud grunts and stop,wait 10min.
    Keep doing this and add a few doe bleats.
    If theres a buck 100yds he will come if everythings right!
    Good luck!
    O dont start this until near the 20 of october unless it starts getting around 40degrees overnight start eariler!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Default scent!

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    What is the purpose of that? Do you have good success in doing that. I am always willing to learn a new trick.
    Ha,Lungcutter
    When i get up i brush my teeth but then i stop by a little country store and get a biscuit and coffee and after that the coffee kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth if you can blow in your hand and smell your breath i think a deer can smell it at 20yds or even farther!
    I know spearment smells and such are in the woods growing down here in va anyway so i set in the stand with spearment candy all day!
    I started using it mainly because i have a bad habit of smoking and i dont take smokes in the woods at the beginning of the season i chew but a fellow hunter claimed he had a big buck smell his chew so he left it in the truck and started the spearment thing & i tried it and i havent had a deer wind me in a couple of years i even think i get smoke in my cloths and beard from the night before so i put one in my mouth get it wet and rub it in my beard my shirtsleaves and hands I think it works!
    It cant hurt!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER