You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scent Control

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    Ha,Lungcutter
    When i get up i brush my teeth but then i stop by a little country store and get a biscuit and coffee and after that the coffee kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth if you can blow in your hand and smell your breath i think a deer can smell it at 20yds or even farther!
    I know spearment smells and such are in the woods growing down here in va anyway so i set in the stand with spearment candy all day!
    I started using it mainly because i have a bad habit of smoking and i dont take smokes in the woods at the beginning of the season i chew but a fellow hunter claimed he had a big buck smell his chew so he left it in the truck and started the spearment thing & i tried it and i havent had a deer wind me in a couple of years i even think i get smoke in my cloths and beard from the night before so i put one in my mouth get it wet and rub it in my beard my shirtsleaves and hands I think it works!
    It cant hurt!

Sheeeeew. I'll bet your a grub by nite time. But a sweet smellin one

Iam glad I ain't got no beard

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Sheeeeew. I'll bet your a grub by nite time. But a sweet smellin one

Iam glad I ain't got no beard
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I have used a lot of scent killers and found that a really good bath in HS Scents Earth cover works great. I will occassionally use the scent killer by HS on the way to the blind setup!
    Greg Holland
    Owner of GMHERPS Hunting and Reptiles

http://www.imageevent.com/gmherps

Ha,Ron
    I take Tinks 69 doe in rut buck lure, Fill two 35mm film canisters with cotton,put a little maybe a tablespoon full in each, & put in a plastic bag.
    Then i take a piece of cloth the size of a wash-cloth and put about 1/4 of a 1oz bottle on the rag, tie a piece of serving string to it ( it wont break while dragging) and put the whole thing in a gallon zip-lock bag.
    The trick is to get far away from your truck down your trail if you dont ( the deer will back track to your truck) Pull it out in the dark and hold it outside of the path that your walking and dance it on the ground about every 3 feet!
    The doe doesnt p every inch go down the trail to your treestand or blind drag it past where you want the deer to walk & hang it in a overhang limb about 1 to 3 feet off the ground (around 20yds from your stand)
    Then check the wind and set the bombs you made 20yds up wind and 1 down wind from you!
    Get in your stand and wait 30min, grunt 3 loud grunts and stop,wait 10min.
    Keep doing this and add a few doe bleats.
    If theres a buck 100yds he will come if everythings right!
    Good luck!
    O dont start this until near the 20 of october unless it starts getting around 40degrees overnight start eariler!
    Hey Ken, that's great info. Thanks...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I have tried the gum and the alphalfa and honey flavor aint too bad.......
    The other side of "ain't too bad" is "ain't too good"...

Ron

Ha,Lungcutter
    When i get up i brush my teeth but then i stop by a little country store and get a biscuit and coffee and after that the coffee kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth if you can blow in your hand and smell your breath i think a deer can smell it at 20yds or even farther!
    I know spearment smells and such are in the woods growing down here in va anyway so i set in the stand with spearment candy all day!
    I started using it mainly because i have a bad habit of smoking and i dont take smokes in the woods at the beginning of the season i chew but a fellow hunter claimed he had a big buck smell his chew so he left it in the truck and started the spearment thing & i tried it and i havent had a deer wind me in a couple of years i even think i get smoke in my cloths and beard from the night before so i put one in my mouth get it wet and rub it in my beard my shirtsleaves and hands I think it works!
    It cant hurt!
    That's not a bad idea. I have it growing in my yard from the previous owner... Maybe I can brew up some kind of spearmint cover scent...

Naw, that might be going to far and over engineering things. I'll try the candy instead.

Ron

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

The only stuff i use is Fresh Earth Spray/soap.In the middle of Aug i hang my 3 sets of camo,socks,hats,back packs,under cloths etc......out on the cloths line and they won't come back into the house till the end of archery season.I change out on the back deck than get in the truck and go.IMO theres no better sent control than Mother Nature.

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    The only stuff i use is Fresh Earth Spray/soap.In the middle of Aug i hang my 3 sets of camo,socks,hats,back packs,under cloths etc......out on the cloths line and they won't come back into the house till the end of archery season.I change out on the back deck than get in the truck and go.IMO theres no better sent control than Mother Nature.
    What if it rains the night before you head out to the timber ?

Ron

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    What if it rains the night before you head out to the timber ?

Ron
    I forgot to mention that "mine" cloths line is under the roof of the back deck...But i do put them out to get rained on once in a while.Keeps them smelling like the out doors
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scent control is an all or nothing proposition. I have used Robinson Labs products as an important part of my scent control for years. I have seen some of the Earth scents that would spook Bears off a bait. It smelled almost moldy. I always prefer to be as scent free as possible, it works for me. Animals will investigate any new, unusual, or strong scent.

I just prefer not to be under investigation if I can help it

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com