You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Brief Observation

looking at many of the used bows here, and on AT I have come to notice something...

There are Lots! of bows for sale from Hoyte, Mathews and Archery research

But none from Martin or Fred Bear?

Why is this? is it because people love their bows and dont want to sell them?
    is it possible that they are just plain better????

Yes This is a troll post. But gotta poke the giants every now and then

Kyle,

Site Guru

Actually there are lots sold but the majority of people who have purchased Fred Bear (NAAG) either don't sell them because they aren't worth anything (anything more then 2 years old) or don't want to upgrade yet (the last 2 years).

As for Martin, there are lots for sale but they aren't selling as many as they used to so less out means less up for sale. Hoyt, Bowtech and Mathews have a pretty well off fan bass who flip bows pretty regularly. Martin shooters tend to be more loyal.

I just seen a few Martin or Fred Bear on AT this morning. I got a martin off there dirt cheap.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Any advice for someone who would like to get into trading and selling bows?

I have been succesful in this area in ham radio. But archery is nothing like that. Way different people... nicer though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Actually there are lots sold but the majority of people who have purchased Fred Bear (NAAG) either don't sell them because they aren't worth anything (anything more then 2 years old) or don't want to upgrade yet (the last 2 years).

As for Martin, there are lots for sale but they aren't selling as many as they used to so less out means less up for sale. Hoyt, Bowtech and Mathews have a pretty well off fan bass who flip bows pretty regularly. Martin shooters tend to be more loyal.
    Martin's sales are up around 20% this year.....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Part of it, not all of it, is due to the fact that people are trying archery and not spending a ton of money on initial equipment investment and just not following through with the sport and likely giving stuff away and/or selling stuff in garage sales or letting it weather gracefully in the basement, attic/crawl space or garage.

When you spend more on a hobby you tend to view that there is value in what you have invested.

Take guitar playing for example (I also indulge in that). If you buy a Fender Stratocaster knock-off at Sam's Club for $200 you don't view that as being an 'investment'. So if you give up the hobby it's not a big deal to give the insrument away or possibly even throw it out. If you buy a Gibson Les Paul for $2000 and up, you typically don't want to just walk away from it. You try and get some dollars back out of it if you give up the hobby since you view it as an 'investment'.

Of course it's all relative but that is a typical consumer trait that has been well documented.

That's one of the reasons that I try and bring people into the sport and encourage them to get decent equipment and especially good advice from people who know the sport and can work with a new archer to eliminate things that might want them to give up. It's not easy for sure but we need more people involved.

In saying those things I am not in the X ring but I believe I'm pretty close.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 07-31-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VE6WTF View Post
    looking at many of the used bows here, and on AT I have come to notice something...

There are Lots! of bows for sale from Hoyte, Mathews and Archery research

But none from Martin or Fred Bear?

Why is this? is it because people love their bows and dont want to sell them?
    is it possible that they are just plain better????

Yes This is a troll post. But gotta poke the giants every now and then

Kyle,
    I will agree with what the others say......

the biggest thing for me is resale.....I know I dont keep a bow a long time anymore......so I buy bows that will resell quickly, and that there is a high demand for.....

there is NOT a high demand for MARTIN or FRED BEAR.....because they are not in enough PRO SHOPS.......

in the past, both MARTIN and FRED BEAR have had less than a great following because of there desicion to sell in places like DICKS and Gander MOUNTAIN......when you sell your stuff in places like this and the person behind the counter, who knows nothing about bows, sets up your bow wrong and something bad happens, you think well it must be crappy equipment.....

This I feel has been the down fall of MARTIN......

FRED BEAR on the other hand has been passed around more than a doobie at a GREATFUL DEAD concert......

really crappy marketing is the down fall of this company.....that and the fact that noone knows how stable it is....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I will agree with what the others say......

the biggest thing for me is resale.....I know I dont keep a bow a long time anymore......so I buy bows that will resell quickly, and that there is a high demand for.....

there is NOT a high demand for MARTIN or FRED BEAR.....because they are not in enough PRO SHOPS.......

in the past, both MARTIN and FRED BEAR have had less than a great following because of there desicion to sell in places like DICKS and Gander MOUNTAIN......when you sell your stuff in places like this and the person behind the counter, who knows nothing about bows, sets up your bow wrong and something bad happens, you think well it must be crappy equipment.....

This I feel has been the down fall of MARTIN......

FRED BEAR on the other hand has been passed around more than a doobie at a GREATFUL DEAD concert......

really crappy marketing is the down fall of this company.....that and the fact that noone knows how stable it is....
    Yes, that's another part of the issue. Marketing and support and all of the other merchandising things that need to happen to support a retail offering.

The GD doobie thing is not likely an issue in this discussion though...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Yes, that's another part of the issue. Marketing and support and all of the other merchandising things that need to happen to support a retail offering.

The GD doobie thing is not likely an issue in this discussion though...

Ron
    I was using an analogy.......sorry....

Site Guru

Fred Bear has also made horrible bows for the last decade. They are finally getting much better though... good thing too because the company wasn't doing well.

Martin's sales are up this year, how were they in "resaleable" equipment last year and the one before? They are up now because of the new low end bows and their new Pro bows. They have a solid product now and they will start appearing the classified soon

Unless you have a fist full of cash to spend and wait out the sell then you should stick to radios. I use to sell guns like that. I made a killing but I only sold on the up and up. I just know what people were looking for and where to get it. So it is knowing what to buy when to buy it. Then waiting for the sell. I just picked up a Bowtech pro 40 2005 for 200 and working on a mathews for around 125. I can turn both of these. But the mathews I can turn fast for 250 to 300 because the short draw and lower poundage. So you see it is knowing what when and how.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by QSA View Post
    Unless you have a fist full of cash to spend and wait out the sell then you should stick to radios. I use to sell guns like that. I made a killing but I only sold on the up and up. I just know what people were looking for and where to get it. So it is knowing what to buy when to buy it. Then waiting for the sell. I just picked up a Bowtech pro 40 2005 for 200 and working on a mathews for around 125. I can turn both of these. But the mathews I can turn fast for 250 to 300 because the short draw and lower poundage. So you see it is knowing what when and how.
    And getting lucky helps quite a bit too. Often times its just sitting on the forums and refreshing often enough until that one guys sells his whole bow w/ everything for 350. Grab it, part it out and make 100 - 200 off it but its a huge gamble for the most part and the profit is going to be pretty limited for the amount you pay.

Oh, being able to adjust stuff on the bow is a must as well. People want their bows ready to shoot when they get them without having to search for other cams or take it to a proshop

I was using an analogy.......sorry....
    Don't be sorry....
    I was probably being too serious.

Ron

Oh, and where is that post on mosquito repellent ?
    Hell, I'm getting chewed...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Oh, and where is that post on mosquito repellent ?
    Hell, I'm getting chewed...

Ron
    Its called ThermaCell and it is great. Or you can use Avon skin-so-soft.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Its called ThermaCell and it is great. Or you can use Avon skin-so-soft.
    BUT IF YOU DO....just burn your man card.....you will never earn it back.....

... Martin's sales are up this year, how were they in "resaleable" equipment last year and the one before? They are up now because of the new low end bows and their new Pro bows. They have a solid product now and they will start appearing the classified soon
    I'm actually thinking of getting a Martin soon................TO POOP ON! (You have to watch Conan O'Brien to get this)

But seriously... I think you see more Mathews and Hoyts out there becasue there is just more out there. Even though there sales are up 20%, how much of that 20% equals the total market? That 20% increase may only be 1% increase of the total market.

You could have the best bow out there and the best ads out there, but if your local proshop is not pushing the bow, your sales will stay static. (i.e My local pro-shop has to order a Martin if I want to shoot one)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    I'm actually thinking of getting a Martin soon................TO POOP ON! (You have to watch Conan O'Brien to get this)

But seriously... I think you see more Mathews and Hoyts out there becasue there is just more out there. Even though there sales are up 20%, how much of that 20% equals the total market? That 20% increase may only be 1% increase of the total market.

You could have the best bow out there and the best ads out there, but if your local proshop is not pushing the bow, your sales will stay static. (i.e My local pro-shop has to order a Martin if I want to shoot one)
    yup what he said....and its because they dont sell......and they dont sell because they are not stocked.....and they are not stocked , because they dont sell.....and so on and so on.....

Site Guru

yup what he said....and its because they dont sell......and they dont sell because they are not stocked.....and they are not stocked , because they dont sell.....and so on and so on.....
    and they aren't stocked because anyone can be a martin dealer and noone stocks them because they can remain a martin dealer by selling 500.00 a year of "martin" accessories and they can sell bows that pay good commissions and push people into more expensive bows that pay well

and they aren't stocked because anyone can be a martin dealer and noone stocks them because they can remain a martin dealer by selling 500.00 a year of "martin" accessories and they can sell bows that pay good commissions and push people into more expensive bows that pay well
    kinda like a revolving door........