You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Deer pics

Default Deer pics

Here's a couple of pics from my Wildview 4.0 that I bought last week. I'm a little disappointed in it so far. I didn't have an SD card when I put it out so it was only using internal memory on high resolution. I got 28 pics before the memory was full and only six were good. The other 22 were either completely blank or so whited out that you couldn't tell what was on them. All the bad pictures were taken during the day. Only the night pictures were good. I had the camera pointing north and it was in a shady area. I've bought a SD card for it and I'm going to put it out again tomorrow or Saturday. Any suggestions to help the white out problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J.C.; 08-03-2007 at 12:42 AM. Reason: resized pics

JC, not bad my man!. Go to Ebay and look in the digi cam section for SD cards. I picked up 2 about 6 months ago for $12 for both shipped. (1 GB)
    Greg Holland
    Owner of GMHERPS Hunting and Reptiles

http://www.imageevent.com/gmherps

I'm going to have to get me one of those cameras. How do you keep it from getting stolen? My brother in law had his stolen within a 12 hour period.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

I don't do anything special to secure it, just strap it to a tree. I live on the property that I hunt, though, and I can see if someone trys to drive onto the property. That's not to say it won't be stolen, though. I had a chain-on stand and some climbing sticks turn up missing a few years back that I had hung close to the property line, but that's the only thing lost in 30 years of hunting there. The cameras do have molded in loops where you can attach them to the tree with a cable and padlock.

Huntin Junkie

I have been using the Wildview 2.0 for 2 years and have not had any problems so far. I have had the whiteout pictures a few times. I found that the glare on the lens is the culprit. Try to make sure the lens does not have any glare. I aim mine down some. About rib cage high and aimed down.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    I have been using the Wildview 2.0 for 2 years and have not had any problems so far. I have had the whiteout pictures a few times. I found that the glare on the lens is the culprit. Try to make sure the lens does not have any glare. I aim mine down some. About rib cage high and aimed down.
    Thanks Scott. I have a little down angle on mine but it may not be enough. I've had it back out with an SD card since Friday and hopefully I'll get better pics this time. If not, I'll hang it higher and tilt it more.

J.C.
    I dont think it is uncommon to get some of those whiteout pics. As long as you arent getting too many I wouldnt worry about it.

I checked mine today. Out of 158 pics i had about 7 whiteouts and 3 or 4 that were white but you could still see it. That is a pretty low percentage.

I was very happy with my pics as usual. Got some really good ones and 1 worker walking by.

You might want to read this if you arent happy with your wildview though. The chasingame website did a comparison of the wildview 4.0 and the new moultrie D-40

Moultrie D-40 vs. Wildview 4.0.

We are going to do a controlled test with these two cams looking at a feeder at 20 feet and close attention to aiming and north south orientation will be followed. We know that during this warm weather time sensing at a distance is sometimes an issue. Both of these cams have proven themselves in the independent tests. We are also aware that there is a chance that the flash of both cams may fire at the same time so we will not be judging the night flash picture quality when this happens. Both cams will be set at 1.3 resolutions and in auto flash mode. There will be no hoods (roofs) used during these tests to insure that we will not be interfering with the ambient light reaching the daylight sensor. Both of these cams fall in the $100 range and are in direct competition with each other. We have really kinda fell in love with what is on the market and when you can only spend a few dollars and get some pretty good readable pictures we are impressed. So let the flash capacitors charge and the fun begin.

07-28-2007 update: These two one hundred dollar cams flashed their little harts out trying to out do each other. The care taken to try to make things as equal as possible were done, but it seems that Moultrie has definitely outdone the WV-4 in this test as far as ability to sense and capture pictures. The WV-4 took 105 pictures and 4 were whiteout and 23 were washouts but still readable. The Moultrie D-40 took 299 pictures with no problems both with flash and daytime pictures. Neither cam showed any indication as far as low battery indications. The test ran from 07-24 through 07-28 and all functions worked. There was one case where both cameras caught a doe at the same time (see below) and it will show an indication of picture quality. We felt that the WV-4 had a slight edge on picture quality, but both cams have a small need for more clarity. The WV-4 has developed a problem where the camera will not turn off and requires that the batteries have to be pulled in order to pull the card. This cam will probably have to be returned to be checked. Even though the Moultrie has it beat in trigger time and sensing, the little WV-4 has its ease of operation and size in its favor.
    rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No catchy signature here.....

Rick,
    Thanks for the info. I'm not regretting my decision to get the Wildview, I was just a little unhappy with my first batch of pics. Only 6 of the 28 pics I got were viewable. I made a few adjustments and I think my next batch will be better. What kind of battery life do you get? I've got mine set to take a pic every five minutes but I'm thinking I should set it for every one minute, just to get more pictures. How do you set yours?

J.C.

No problem at all. I am happy with mine but I wouldnt hesitate to buy something else if I thought it was better. I have tried several moutries and wasnt happy at all with them but the new ones sound better.

I have been getting probly a month and a half on a set of batteries. I am wondering if the flash firing when it isnt needed is what causes the whiteouts.

It seems like they are always at dawn or dusk from what I noticed

rick

I believe all my whiteouts were during the day. I was wondering about the flash, too. I noticed before that my flash was set to go off with every pic. When I put it back out I made sure it was set to auto. I'm hoping that fixes the problem.

that sounds like that could be part of it. I better check that myself

rick