You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Up in arms

Default Up in arms

I'm in the market for a new bow. I have been going to the same pro shop for a 16 years. I have been shooting the same tournament bow for six years. This year the old bow got a cracked limb. The pro shop has been building his own bows for the past 5 years, and asked if I would like to shoot one of his bows. I would be a staff shooter for him to promote his bows on the tournament trail.

I would be glad to shoot for him but I have one problem with the bow line that he has. The bows are a great bows nice and smooth, quite and fast. The only thing that I don't like about the bows is after 45 yards the groups open up and I can not get them to come down where I would like. At 50 yards I can hold a 4 inch group with it but can not get any smaller. With the my hunting bow I can get smaller groups. I want to shoot for him but I can not go out and promote his bows if I can not get them to group. I have to let him know what I'm going to do in the next week or so. What should I do about this? should I stick with it and see if there is a way to get better groups or just buy a bow that shoots better.
    Working hard to keep kids in the woods and out of jail.
    Bow Hunter Until Death

Sounds like a tuff situation. If you are not confident in your equipment that will begin to wear on you. You can probably get the bow to perform well but it my take awhile to get the confidence in it. I am not sure what I would do but I wish you all the best in your decision. I would be honest with the owner/builder and state how you feel straight up. He will surely respect you for whatever you decide.

"HONDA"

You will hate it if you don't have confidence in your equipment. It would definately effect your shooting and your scoring. I would tell him that you would be happy to shoot his stuff once he makes you something you can group. Just show him pics of your groups at 50 with his bow and your hunting bow. It may not be the bow...maybe it just isn't fitting YOU correctly. I think you would be doing him and yourself a disservice if you shot his bows, didn't do as well as you know you can, and then quit. Might as well work with him up front first and see if you can't get a custom job that works for you better.....JMHO
    Hook 'Em Horns

I wonder if the arrows weren't spined properly, of if you could add some foc to tighten the groups up down range??
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I'm in the market for a new bow. I have been going to the same pro shop for a 16 years. I have been shooting the same tournament bow for six years. This year the old bow got a cracked limb. The pro shop has been building his own bows for the past 5 years, and asked if I would like to shoot one of his bows. I would be a staff shooter for him to promote his bows on the tournament trail.

I would be glad to shoot for him but I have one problem with the bow line that he has. The bows are a great bows nice and smooth, quite and fast. The only thing that I don't like about the bows is after 45 yards the groups open up and I can not get them to come down where I would like. At 50 yards I can hold a 4 inch group with it but can not get any smaller. With the my hunting bow I can get smaller groups. I want to shoot for him but I can not go out and promote his bows if I can not get them to group. I have to let him know what I'm going to do in the next week or so. What should I do about this? should I stick with it and see if there is a way to get better groups or just buy a bow that shoots better.

First-you should let him know of your concerns......
    second-how long have you tried shooting "HIS" bows.....you can not just jump into a new rig and expect to be able to hit the eye of a GNAT at 100 yrds...thats why we have to practice....
    third-I am a shop shooter for a local shop and have been for 6 months....I have the shirts and the hats/visors, and get really awsome deals on my equipment, but the owner would never ask me to shoot a bow I wasnt comfortable with...contrary he does every thing in his power to make sure i am happy.....

I feel bad when I dont perform, but he always just says, well you will get them next time......

My biggest responsibility is to do MY best and to promote the store and the store brand......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Well...You should definitely discuss your concerns with him...I'm sure he wouldn't want you to shoot equipment you weren't confident in...
    How many bows has he built?? do they all have similar tuning issues, maybe you just got a lemon...

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    First-you should let him know of your concerns......
    second-how long have you tried shooting "HIS" bows.....you can not just jump into a new rig and expect to be able to hit the eye of a GNAT at 100 yrds...thats why we have to practice....
    third-I am a shop shooter for a local shop and have been for 6 months....I have the shirts and the hats/visors, and get really awsome deals on my equipment, but the owner would never ask me to shoot a bow I wasnt comfortable with...contrary he does every thing in his power to make sure i am happy.....
    I feel bad when I dont perform, but he always just says, well you will get them next time......

My biggest responsibility is to do MY best and to promote the store and the store brand......
    Wished I's a big name shooter.:

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Wished I's a big name shooter.:
    wish I had a magic blue tooth.......

wish I had a magic blue tooth.......
    Yaeh I think I'll just keep tha BT

By tha way what does WBT mean if it's cool

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Yaeh I think I'll just keep tha BT

By tha way what does WBT mean if it's cool
    where did you see that???

where did you see that???
    Thanks gotta keep tha ol post count up ya'll

Thanks gotta keep tha ol post count up ya'll

Yeah I did'nt understand it. OOPS.
    It was on here 2 time recently.