You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Everybody loves a clown.. markalbob's Avatar

Default older bows and buiscuits or other rests?

Hi, first post; I'm a newbie of sorts.

I grew up hunting and fishing, largely left hunting by the wayside from age 20 till now (13 tears). I'm looking to get back into bowhunting, and hiope to upgrade in a couple years, but right now I have a Bear Black Mag bow. It's from when I was 12 so it's about 20 years old, the rest is a rubber flipper tab.

To me (and I know S#*t about tuning bows, etc., I just shot them before), it looks like the riser in the older bows is quite a bit "shallower" to accomodate the flipper which is stuck to the side of the bow--if you put a biscuit or similar rest on such an old bow would it end up way off to one side instead of in-line with the bowstring?

Just curious; I do remember quite vividly how arrows liked to hop off the flipper whenever the mood struck them........

If you were shooting that bow when you were 12 and are now 33, give it to a kid that can use it and get you an adult bow. You can pick up a used inexpensive bow to get started with for $100-150. Doesn't have to be much but do yourself and the animal you will be hunting a favor and upgrade BEFORE you decide to go on a hunt.
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Quote Originally Posted by MoBowman View Post
    If you were shooting that bow when you were 12 and are now 33, give it to a kid that can use it and get you an adult bow. You can pick up a used inexpensive bow to get started with for $100-150. Doesn't have to be much but do yourself and the animal you will be hunting a favor and upgrade BEFORE you decide to go on a hunt.
    With all due respect, it was at 40 then, now 50 lbs pull. I'm sure it's slower than a newer bow, but also far faster than a recurve. Wasn't a kid's bow, it was a real instrument, and while I'd personallyLOVE to upgrade, I'm gonna have to prove to myself for a season or 2 that this is something I want to stick with before I pop for the big show, and at that time I expect to spend closer to $500 to do it the way I want it.....

nobody?

I must be way behind the times w/ my old-school bow....

markalbob

You should be able to use the biscuit just fine with your bow. It should have plenty of adjustment to line up with your centershot.

Welcome to the forum...

The biscuit should work fine...I know the droptine comes with a spacer to move the rest farther in...and it has much better adjustment features...

Do you plan on using a release or staying with just fingers? It will matter what type of rest you use.

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Do you plan on using a release or staying with just fingers? It will matter what type of rest you use.
    what red said!