You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my job

Banned

Default Lost my job

Yep after 11 years of working for the same company they fired me last wed. So this has caused me to take a loooong look at my life and have decidec to got to collage to learn something. This is where you all come in. I have a thing with numbers and can caculate them in my head pretty fast and thought I would get a degree in accounting, buisness finance,personal finance or something along those lines and I was wondering if the collage educated could let me know what their degree is in and what you do for a living if you are using your degree. Thanks Singin

my lil ssister graduated last year with an accounting degree... she was hired by an oil company and at 22 years old she was startd off at 60k per year.......

After 8 years in the Marine Infantry, I went to college for Nursing. Big career shift there. Though it would be fun to work with women.
    Big Mistake. Love the work, but few of my coworkers. They don't much like each other either.
    Money's real good, I can work 24/7, and get overtime every minute of every day, if I want.

Site Guru

What does being able to add have to do with accounting? Its all done in a computer and is (imho) boring as hell! Do something you like / enjoy / are passionate about and you'll enjoy life!
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    What does being able to add have to do with accounting? Its all done in a computer and is (imho) boring as hell! Do something you like / enjoy / are passionate about and you'll enjoy life!
    I am agreeing with Dredly here...I have a BBA in Finance and I use it none. I am a business analyst in the I.T. department at my company. It is pretty boring, but it pays the bills. Not saying you shouldn't go back to school, but what do you WANT to do? I don't know many people that want to be accountants, but if you like numbers you could always be an auditor or something like that. Most auditor jobs require that you be a CPA first. If you want to make money get in the computer field or sales...

If you find a job that lets you hunt, fish, and golf as much as you want and you make a big salary...let me know
    Hook 'Em Horns

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    I am agreeing with Dredly here...I have a BBA in Finance and I use it none. I am a business analyst in the I.T. department at my company. It is pretty boring, but it pays the bills. Not saying you shouldn't go back to school, but what do you WANT to do? I don't know many people that want to be accountants, but if you like numbers you could always be an auditor or something like that. Most auditor jobs require that you be a CPA first. If you want to make money get in the computer field or sales...

If you find a job that lets you hunt, fish, and golf as much as you want and you make a big salary...let me know

Hey Hook try selling dope, many free hours ta enjoy life ta its fullest.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Getting a degree helps, but IMO it only helps you get noticed. It looks good on the resume and shows that you have motivation. Even if you just got it yesterday after 11 years of experience. After 11 years of working experience depending on what you want to be when you grow up , school is not going to teach you too much. You already know how to tackle things in a tactical way. Some schooling will teach you how to think of things in strategic way, but not much.

I would go for something very generic as a major in business and minor in marketing. I would also look at the quickest way to get it. If you are good with numbers, you can always get your CPA after your diploma, if that is your calling??? At the end of the day, make sure you position yourself with what you want to do and with something that you will enjoy!

Good Luck and hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Hey Hook try selling dope, many free hours ta enjoy life ta its fullest.
    The whole having morals and not wanting to go to jail thing always stops me for some reason!
    Hook 'Em Horns

The whole having morals and not wanting to go to jail thing always stops me for some reason!
    damb the morels anyway.......(not you smokes)

I hate mushrooms......
    I cut things up and split them down!

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Why just think ya would'nt have at work fer 10 ta 20. Free clothes, food ,and room.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Banned

My father was a painter (houses not pictures) and that is what he taught me and my brothers to do. That is all I have done my entire life. I really do love painting. My old job paid the bills but that was about it I would have to do side jobs painting to have extra money. I agree that a degree will get you noticed. So I was just wondering if anyone with a degree with buisness or finance had an idea on what I should do. My brother and I thought about trying to expand his painting buisness but in this are anyone with a paint brush and buisness cards claims to be a painter

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    My father was a painter (houses not pictures) and that is what he taught me and my brothers to do. That is all I have done my entire life. I really do love painting. My old job paid the bills but that was about it I would have to do side jobs painting to have extra money. I agree that a degree will get you noticed. So I was just wondering if anyone with a degree with buisness or finance had an idea on what I should do. My brother and I thought about trying to expand his painting buisness but in this are anyone with a paint brush and buisness cards claims to be a painter
    You really need to figure out what you want to do? As doing what you love doesn't always pay the bills.

Maybe expanding your brother's painting business is a good plan and may be worth the try. But at the end of the day you need to figure out what direction you want to go with your life... what business are near you? Can you benefit from having 11 years experience and a degree? What is the demand for the work force in your area? All this takes some planning and is not something you can jump into with both feet. As getting a quick degree will take about 3 years... what will you do in the mean time? How will you pay the bills? I think these are the questions for you to ask yourself.

This is time for you to do some soul searching and none of us can really give you the right answers (if so you would be selling crack with Hook )

Site Guru

Business analyst is a boring job, a lot of writing up docs that people that don't know what they are talking about rip apart and make stupid suggestions which you have ot pretent to implement in a way that they won't ruin the whole project... I know, I are one.

The real money is still in either IT (Cisco, VoIP implementations... etc), Fiber Technician, or the classic... Mangement. If you really enjoy painting try getting in with a union somewhere and do some big jobs, schools, malls, new buildings... etc. Also look around for companies that lease buinsess properties. they almost always have large crews of people that do their maintenance stuff.

There is a lot of stuff out there that will pay the bills, if you don't like it then you just wasted 4 years going to school
    No I'm not dead

Business analyst is a boring job, a lot of writing up docs that people that don't know what they are talking about rip apart and make stupid suggestions which you have ot pretent to implement in a way that they won't ruin the whole project... I know, I are one.

Wow -- thats how you guys feel about people like me??????

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    damb the morels anyway.......(not you smokes)

I hate mushrooms......
    You must be smokin em and not eatin em......
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

i just threw in the sis part as an acounting thing... you definitely need to like what you do... math and accounting have little to do with each other once you are in it as they said the computer does the work.... my degree is in engineering however i am now in the IT field in Management and it has nothing to do with my degree..... (and i cant even post pics on this site... ) find what you like to do and can make money at... i know folks that lost construction jobs and started painting houses and commercial sites on their own and have done quite well for themselves.... a few dollar adds in the local paper... a few business cards... a few flyers you make on your computer and put on the cork boards at the grocery store.... maybe on a few doors around town.... and they now 4 to 5 years later have several trucks and crews working....

in the houston area i could give you a few places to work in the painting field but i dont know any in missouri

i am with Hook... find that hunting, fishing, golfing gig send us all a link

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    Wow -- thats how you guys feel about people like me??????
    Nope... I was holding back because its a family forum.
    No I'm not dead

Default Degree

I got a degree in Industrial Technology, but I don't use it at all. I work as a Network Engineer for a Telecom co.
    I started out in sales making $8.00 an hour and worked my way up.

Banned

Well I have a meeting with my ex boss this morning at 11:00 so I can beg for my job back. My wife just found out yesterday that she got into a nursing program, so I need my job back for the next 5 years so I can put her through nusing school and I can get an education myself. If I get my job back I'll let you all know, but I will only thik of it as a temp job.

Banned

I thought of selling drugs but I'm way to pretty for prison.