You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost my job

Going back to school with a family is the roughest thing that anyone should have to endure, but it can be done. My wife and I did it at the same time with three children, and the fourth was due during final exam week of our third semester. (thank god he was a week and a half late) During that time there were instances that I was working two part time jobs and side jobs and my wife, bless her heart, was working a full time job and overtime (even when she was pregnant).

However, in two years for her and four years for myself, she is now a registered nurse and I am now a Structrual Design Civil Engineer and Construction Manager. There were times that family and college faculty tried to discourage us. We were told that we would never make it, but now life is great and we have a solid future ahead of us and know that after that we can make it through everything.

Be sure that you get into a field that you enjoy though. There were several people there that didn't know what the field involved, and dropped out because they hated going to classes that didn't interest them. Don't shop for a career with the highest starting salary or greatest raise rate, find something that involves what you enjoy. Even find people to talk to about the fields.

I started out an Electrical Engineer until a councilor asked about my favorite classes in High School and I said Architectural Studies and Math. So, that is when I changed and am so thankful I did, do not underestimate the power of the advisors. Follow your heart, but also realize that they have a wealth of knowledge to be tapped.

Finally, if you are married and have a family sit down and establish a plan and let the children know what is going on. With the wife, or on your own, start a Budget and begin using it as soon as possible to get used to it. Older children should be made to realize that extras will have to begin to be earned by either household work or, if they are old enough, there own job.

But, most importantly, and always remember this, the Company Mead Five Star makes a hunter green stretchy book cover that I used when studing while I hunted. You will have to sacrifice a lot, but remind the wife that the Venson will off set some grocery bills so technically you are working. Seriously though sitting in the woods reading is sometimes more effective than the library because it is so peaceful.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
    Clem
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    Yep after 11 years of working for the same company they fired me last wed. So this has caused me to take a loooong look at my life and have decidec to got to collage to learn something. This is where you all come in. I have a thing with numbers and can caculate them in my head pretty fast and thought I would get a degree in accounting, buisness finance,personal finance or something along those lines and I was wondering if the collage educated could let me know what their degree is in and what you do for a living if you are using your degree. Thanks Singin
    So, what was the reason they fired you

Banned

Hey Clem thanks for the advice. Maybe you could pm me with the info on the book cover

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    So, what was the reason they fired you
    Well I don't think it really matter because I'm gone. But if you must know I was falsely accused of lying and stealing. My partner that I work with every day got 10 days off with out pay. But he is to weak to fight it through the union (no spine). I had my meeting today with the exboss , it's funny how sad they look to you after you don't have to worry about loosing yor job. But I think I have a sliver of hope on getting it back but it will only be long enough to get me and the wife through school

I kinda like Smokes Idea.
    It explains his spelling. He was cutting class and getting high!

You go Old Head.

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    Well I don't think it really matter because I'm gone. But if you must know I was falsely accused of lying and stealing. My partner that I work with every day got 10 days off with out pay. But he is to weak to fight it through the union (no spine). I had my meeting today with the exboss , it's funny how sad they look to you after you don't have to worry about loosing yor job. But I think I have a sliver of hope on getting it back but it will only be long enough to get me and the wife through school
    I once got "layed off" from a job because a girl accused me of some things (she didn't like me cuz her BF was always checkin me out ) Anyway, 2 months later they caught her stealing out of the registers and she got fired. After all that Everytime I walked into that store the manager would turn and walk away from me with his head down

I have a degree in criminal justice, i am an investigator for the state of Pennsylvania. I use my degree for nothing except for the piece of paper saying i have a degree. other than that, people skills, time management and organization are the only things i use from college.

Default Get a Degree

1. Get a degree because HR people use the degee/no degree as a sorting tool so they don't have to look at so many people.
    2. If you apply somewhere while you're working on it, that will also get some recognition because it shows your commitment to self-development.
    3. A degree in some area of business/commerce will usually qualify you for most entry-level business positions.
    4. Getting a degree on a part-time basis requires hard work and real commitment (see #2). Both you and your spouse have to sign up for it because you will both have to work out the sharing of home duties and child care responsibilities. It's a sacrifice, no question.
    5. Most business majors share common courses in the first or second year. Your experience may help you learn that you like or don't do well in some subjects.
    6. You may be able to find study groups that will help in difficult subjects. That can really help out if you're struggling in something like Statistics.
    7. The people you'll meet in night school are really great people because they're all trying to do the same thing you're doing.

Good luck,
    Bill T

If you were there 11 yrs and have a union then you should have some backing. There should of been a rep in that meeting when they let you go. They should of also of given you time to consult a union rep and have them get you a lawyer to make them prove any accusations. And you should still be able to do that thru that union if there is one. Going back to school never hurts. Knowledge is power. The more knowledge you can get the more powerful you will be to have control over your life.