You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Couldnt find him

I was hunting in Middleton, Ma. from a tree stand, I watched a 8 point buck come in. I heard him, turned around slowly and there he was walking right at me. I waited for him to put his head down before I decided to stand up. I waited, with my heart pumping intently,until he was about 20 yards away. I drew back,and right before I was about to take the shot my uncle paged me accidentally on the radio. At that instant the deer looked right up at me, and I took the shot. Watched him run away with my arrow in his side for about 25 yards and then he started walking again. I called my uncle on the radio and told him what was going on. We met up and waited 2 hours before looking for him. We started looking for the deer and we follwed a pretty healthy trail of blood then the blood stopped, we foundnd my arrow across the street from where we had been looking for it, about 5 hours later. He had broken it off on a tree that he had been rubbing. The blood started again, stopped and I never found him. This is my first experience with a deer comeing in on me and I'm sure I will never forget it. Hopefully next time I will have better luck. That is the last thing I would have wanted to happen, I saw where I wanted to hit him had him in my sight so I took the shot. Its all part of the sport I guess if it was easy to kill them everyone would do it.

Montana, USA

It is part of hunting. Something to consider. The type of blood. When we come across dark red blood I back off for a long period of time - overnight if possible and the shooter is not 100% sure of the hit. Vital blood will usually give you a lighter red, oxyigenated (bubbly) look. Dark red will give you an animal that may go a long ways if pushed. Good luck to all!
    Last edited by Next Ridge Over; 01-13-2006 at 05:58 PM.