You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making arrows

Default making arrows

what is your favorite glue for vanes on carbon?how do you prep?what jig do you use?i'm new to making my own arrows.I just ordered a grayling to do my own arrows. nice to meet everyone!

I use a Bitzenberger jig and Goat Tuff glue. I prep the arrows with Denatured alcohol until the shaft is squeaky. Don't touch the area you have cleaned and your glue should stick very well. Key to it all is don't use alot of glue...less is more.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Quote Originally Posted by chelleo View Post
    I use a Bitzenberger jig and Goat Tuff glue. I prep the arrows with Denatured alcohol until the shaft is squeaky. Don't touch the area you have cleaned and your glue should stick very well. Key to it all is don't use alot of glue...less is more.
    What he said.
    08 Constitution 50# 29"
    08 Allegiance 70#
    07 Guardian 77#
    http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=478
    FBSA Member

Iv'e read about goat tuff on a few posts.I'll have to get some. Who here likes the blazer vanes?

Quote Originally Posted by dzingale View Post
    What he said.
    Hmm should i or just figure you are very sleepy. I'm an ole woman at least this week, didn't think I looked like a man in that pic but maybe DZ needs glasses too LOL
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

I use Vanetech and love them. I have worked with the new QS Speedhunters and like them too.
    08 Constitution 50# 29"
    08 Allegiance 70#
    07 Guardian 77#
    FBSA Member

Hmm should i or just figure you are very sleepy. I'm an ole woman at least this week, didn't think I looked like a man in that pic but maybe DZ needs glasses too LOL
    Sorry about that.
    08 Constitution 50# 29"
    08 Allegiance 70#
    07 Guardian 77#
    FBSA Member

hahahaha I'm going to love this place!

Careful, you don't want to give them any firepower, they will run with it. DZ must be tired, cuz you look like a woman to me Chelle

Goat tuff for all
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Saunders is great glue and if you need to refletch it is much easier to get off than Goat Tuff.

"HONDA"

I have used Flecht tite and FT platinum and had trouble I switched to goat tuff no trouble...But like Chelleo said prep your arrows good, it makes or breaks the job...

Blazers are a tuff vane...some guys have some trouble tuning with them, but I don't use them myself...

Well I just started making my own arrows as well and got some good advise from everyone here. I tried Fletch Tite, and Goat tuff Glue. I definitely preferred the Goat Tuff. It also works good to glue in your inserts. Everyone told me to not over do it with the glue but of course I did at first. I have been using the Arizona EZ Fletcher, works good and it's fast. Well good luck to you.
    Martin Cougar III SE Dyna Cam, Gold Tip XT arrows, Trophy Ridge Matrix 5-pin,
    Red Hawk Low Light Peep Sight, STS, Trophy Taker, S-Coil, Limsavers

Genesis 27:3
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go
    out to the field, and take me some venison;

Should have mentioned vanes. I have tried the vanetec vanes and they just were really tough to get glued on for some reason. I put them on some acc's I had and ended up takeing them off. Duravanes are pretty nice and stick on well, but right now I'm using those Bohning X-Vanes shield cut on my target arrows. (CX Nanos) and they are the easiest things to glue on and they work really well.

I use a bitz jig, Pine Ridge glue and a variety of fletching, usually 3 in feathers and blazers. I occasionally use wraps and I think they really help the fletch adhesion, but I'm usually too lazy to bother.

LOL DZ Wheels3 is also a women.... just thought id point it out. I like the fletch tite platinum, and i prep with acetone, shaft and vanes, i have also used hobby grade CA but i dont really like it, the fletch tite is good enough for me. I use 30 min epoxy on my tips, also prep the inside of glue area with acetone.

thank you all for your opinions.I am going to start playing around with vanes and see what i like.

Goat tuff or any other CA based glue like Hot Stuff or Jet. The last 2 can be found in Hobby Shops that sell RC airplane models and such. Those are basically the same as Goat tuff (CA based) and about the same price too.
    Oh and if you go with the latter two get the gap filling style instead of the thin. It's thicker and much easier to work with.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 08-16-2007 at 01:09 PM.

what do you mean by CA based?

AEE Fast set gel works by far better than any other glue. Sets super fast and have not had a single vane come loose or peal.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS