You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default HI, Im new to this

Hello everyone im new to archery and have been wanting to get into this for a long time but i dont know much about it. I dont know if i will get into hunting but i do want to targets and stuff, im 16 and have a part time job so i need a bow that dosnt cost too much and im looking for a compound bow (i think thats what its called). I also need to know what ill need for my new hobby. Thanx

Blackturtle

Have you picked a specific type of target archery you'd like to shoot, such as 3-D, indoor, field, etc? There's some differences in set-ups depending on the type.

No clue, like i said im new to this and dont know anything.

First off welcome to the forum and the sport...
    My only advice to you is start small and don't get discouraged...If you start feeling overwhelmed step back for a day and cool off...It's supposed to be fun...and it is.

That being said, what is your budget...
    Bow: 200-1000
    sight: 20-400
    rest: 20-200
    arrows: 50-200
    release: 10-150
    target: 20-200
    and then the wants, not somuch needs...

I would suggest setting up a hunter/3d rig...It's a good all around setup.
    you'll have fun in the yard, go to a few 3d's, and if you decide to hunt you're already setup..that's the cheapest route...

Hello!
    I wouldn't worry too much about specific types of archery yet. just get a bow and start shooting things (targets )

And what BA said

I have a old IX legend XRG fully set up WB, 3 pin sight, peep, arm sling, and 6 beeman 340 arrows and a hard case will sell for $ 100obo plus shipping Just put all new strings and cables on this year before I got my XT will get pics and post them tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    I would suggest setting up a hunter/3d rig...It's a good all around setup.
    you'll have fun in the yard, go to a few 3d's, and if you decide to hunt you're already setup..that's the cheapest route...
    I totally agree w/ bow... Shoot a bow set up for hunting. that way you can hunt and target shoot w/ the same bow. When you get more experienced and have more knowledge of equipment. then you can move on comfortably!!! Good luck!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

WOW i did not know their was so much stuff to get. Well I dont want to spend more than $350 on a bow (Im in a other sport and im upgrading my stuff) and thats pritty much all i have in mind.

What is your other sport?

^ The other sport im spending $ on is BMX. I race BMX and Im upgrading my bike.

welcome

it is fun and worth the time.... you will meet alot of great people in this sport.....

Default I agree!

You will meet alot of great people in this sport!
    And as far as a bow, start like i did, Find you a good used recurve,get ya some arrows and start flingin.
    Thats the cheap way to get started to find out if your gonna stick to it, with out puttin to much money into it.
    I just sold a darton ranger recurve 55lbs, went for $61 on e-bay and sold a doz compleated feathered arrows 2216 XX-75 for $51 there also.
    Some times you can get some deals on there.
    Hope this helps, and to the greatest forum around!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by Blackturtle View Post
    WOW i did not know their was so much stuff to get. Well I dont want to spend more than $350 on a bow (Im in a other sport and im upgrading my stuff) and thats pritty much all i have in mind.
    You can get a decent package for that...Then all you need is arrows and a release...I have a Nova It's a nice entry level bow...
    http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/...oducts_id=4682

Site Guru

I'm a big believer in buying the best stuff you can at first to save money later! Spend as much as you can even if means waiting a week to get a great used bow as opposed to buying a low end bow because you can have it right now.
    No I'm not dead