You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What makes a bow used???

I was thinking about the recent post about how some sites sell bow packages, and how some "NEW" bows you can't sell on-line. Look on ebay you'll find all kinds. Any way...If you take a new bow, mount a sight, a rest, a stabilizer, a sling, string suppressor, serve the string for the suppressor, a peep, a kisser, put string nocks or a loop on it. Fire it a half dozen times for tuning, does that essentially make it used? I think so, or at least a demo bow. Essentially all the equipment in stalled on the bow would be considered used, wouldn't it? There seems to be a potential loop hole in that rule?

Got any thoughts on this???

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Default Used?

Shooting it. That is what I call used.

That's deep Man

I think if you add things to the bow and shoot it period it's a used bow or a set-up ready to go broke in bow.

If anybody other than myself has shot the bow, then it is no longer new. If you buy a package with everything attached as new, then you have to accept it as new. However, I still thing the shop should wait and let the customer shoot it to set rest height and center shot, set the peep, and adjust the sight.....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

The moment you receive the receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    I was thinking about the recent post about how some sites sell bow packages, and how some "NEW" bows you can't sell on-line. Look on ebay you'll find all kinds. Any way...If you take a new bow, mount a sight, a rest, a stabilizer, a sling, string suppressor, serve the string for the suppressor, a peep, a kisser, put string nocks or a loop on it. Fire it a half dozen times for tuning, does that essentially make it used? I think so, or at least a demo bow. Essentially all the equipment in stalled on the bow would be considered used, wouldn't it? There seems to be a potential loop hole in that rule?

Got any thoughts on this???

Ben
    actually alot are not supposed to!!! I know you cant sell pro series PSE online. Unless you have a contract. Cabelas and Bass pro used to. But PSE pulled all there bows out from them. Due to infringement clause. They can sell what they have left in stock...
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    If anybody other than myself has shot the bow, then it is no longer new. If you buy a package with everything attached as new, then you have to accept it as new. However, I still thing the shop should wait and let the customer shoot it to set rest height and center shot, set the peep, and adjust the sight.....
    I agree 100% with this! how can you call it new if someone was shooting it already to tune it?you have to ACCEPT it as new,that's why i buy a bare bow.

If it has shot an(1) arrow then it is used.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    The moment you receive the receipt.
    I'm pretty sure I second that... And maybe add "when you drive it off the lot"...

Ron

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

All jokes aside a lot of people has probbly bought a new bow from an archery shopp but didn't realize(sp) that they really bought a used one that had already been shot by several others.What i mean by this is if a person goes in and tries out a bow that has been on the rack (demo)tested by others and decides that that's the bow he wants and the seller say's can you come back in an hour or tomorrow morning and i'll have it (new one in the box)checked out and ready for you....most (new) and probbly some thats been it for a bit wouldn't know the difference between the demo(after cleaned up a bit) or the one nib.JMO

I would not say just shooting it makes it used, most bow shops let people shoot bows in the shop therefore all would be "USED"....

I would say once its paid for its used

Site Guru

my local Mathews dealer knocks 50.00 off any bow in the store because they are "drawn and shot by other people". if he need to order you one in its full price.

One local store actually has zip ties around the string so it can't be drawn until you are going to buy it... kind of crappy but they had a huge issue with dry fires and exactly this... noone wants a "shop bow" for the same price as a "new bow"
    No I'm not dead

I was standing in the shop when my XT arrived by UPS. And was the first one to shoot it. Well unless Mathews techs test fired it for me. Hmmmm.....maybe my bow was used???? Oh well they were just making sure everything was spot on for me. And they done a great job.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I was standing in the shop when my XT arrived by UPS. And was the first one to shoot it. Well unless Mathews techs test fired it for me. Hmmmm.....maybe my bow was used???? Oh well they were just making sure everything was spot on for me. And they done a great job.
    Being test fired at the factory doesn't count in my opinion....
    If it's test fired by every one who comes in the shop, it's a DEMO...
    if it sold by the shop, orm any one else...its used
    Either way, it's not new

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Being test fired at the factory doesn't count in my opinion....
    If it's test fired by every one who comes in the shop, it's a DEMO...
    if it sold by the shop, orm any one else...its used
    Either way, it's not new
    yup my thoughts exactly. If I buy a NEW bow I expect it to come to me in a box from the factory and still have all the tags on it.
    No I'm not dead

So if it is not allowed to sell a new Bowtech, or Mathews, or X-force...on line, what are the rules on selling a slightly "used" but current year bow on-line?

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Question

well......, good question. Used is an arbitrary term derived from somewhere I'm not sure about.

If someone test shot it 10 times at the shop, does it become a used bow and they mark it down from $700 to $550? Nope. Its still "new"

If I buy it, take it home, shoot it 10 times and decide it blows, can I sell it as new? Nope, its used now = "near new."

In other words, I really don't know.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Site Guru

So if it is not allowed to sell a new Bowtech, or Mathews, or X-force...on line, what are the rules on selling a slightly "used" but current year bow on-line?

Ben
    It depends upon the source of the bow and contracts signed by the person selling it. The reason dealers can't is they sign or agree to something saying they won't. If they want to sell to someone else at a discount so that person can sell them well thats between the dealer and that person
    No I'm not dead

Ben
    I doubt any shop is going to sell new bows at used bow prices just so they can sell them online

I'm sure if you get a bow in your shop that retails for $700, let 10 or 15 customers shoot around with it and then sell is as "used" for $500 a month later, no manufacturer is going to say much. It is your loss, not theirs.....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Well, similarly to a new vehicle. The company does not consider it used just because 5 people test drove the truck 10 miles each. My truck was bought in Ohio, but was driven from Michigan the day before by the dealership. Also, our mustang was delivered from 4 hours away and the sales person drove it.

These loop holes are simply technicalities and if a manufacturer catches a dealer trying to take advantage of these he could very well find it difficult to get any more new bows from the company.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.