You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    2

    Question Shooting Lessons

    I'm wondering if anyone out there in the Metro Detroit Area knows where I could get some shooting lessons. I got my bow in November and have only been able to shoot once to sight it in. I would really like to get some lessons and have my name on a waiting list through MJC, but have had it on there for weeks and have heard nothing. They need a minimum of 3 participants and currently only have 2. I can't afford $35 an hour for private. I'm planning on starting leagues next year but will feel very stupid joining a league not knowing what I am doing!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Joining that league might be the best way for you to meet some of the top archers in your area who can and will give you as much help as they can.

    Don't be bashful

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central illinois
    Posts
    3

    Smile Hold your head up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Shafts Rule View Post
    Joining that league might be the best way for you to meet some of the top archers in your area who can and will give you as much help as they can.

    Don't be bashful
    I myself started out knowing nothing.still don;t know nothing paid $10 to enter a 3d shoot.When all was said and done i learned more that afternoon.Just by the other guys showing and telling me things.doyourself a favor .just step out there and all that free knowledge will flow your way for free.

  4. #4
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    boy these are some old posts were dragging to the top but they are some great info.....

    you would be amazed at how much people are willing to help you in your shooting....go to shoots....join leauges.....best move I ever made......
    I cut things up and split them down!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central illinois
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobby vee View Post


    I myself started out knowing nothing.still don;t know nothing paid $10 to enter a 3d shoot.When all was said and done i learned more that afternoon.Just by the other guys showing and telling me things.doyourself a favor .just step out there and all that free knowledge will flow your way for free.
    If you cant get enough help.then put out the other hand.

  6. #6
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    A really good starting point is right here! take some pics of your draw and we'll give you some pointers.
    No I'm not dead

  7. #7
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    A really good starting point is right here! take some pics of your draw and we'll give you some pointers.
    I did this and found the comments very useful. Most of them anyway

    I also found my local archery shop and archery club and they have both been very helpful on helping me, by watching me shoot.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,718

    Default

    I started out and help was far and few out there and formed some bad habits that later as some fellas showed some stuff and I read olimpiad books and got starighten out. If you have a pro who could show you the ropes I would go for it. I have often stated if I take on golf I am gonna get me a pro to show me the how tos. My $1 worth HS



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan
    Posts
    3

    Default Instruction

    I am not sure where you are in the Metro area, but if you are close to Waterford ( Dixie Hwy. and I-75 area) there is the OCSC that has a great archery facility that has leagues and instruction. They have leagues that are coed and a womans league. Many of the people involved have been shooting for along time or have been involved with J.O.A.D. program. If you have an opportunity to go to the Outdoorama at the Rock Financial Place on Feb. 21-25 OCSC will have a booth and you can get info and schedules from there.
    Or you can go to www.ocscmi.org and view info on that site. After many years of bowhunting I just started shooting some target and couldn't believe how helpful many of these people are.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcgerchow View Post
    I am not sure where you are in the Metro area, but if you are close to Waterford ( Dixie Hwy. and I-75 area) there is the OCSC that has a great archery facility that has leagues and instruction. They have leagues that are coed and a womans league. Many of the people involved have been shooting for along time or have been involved with J.O.A.D. program. If you have an opportunity to go to the Outdoorama at the Rock Financial Place on Feb. 21-25 OCSC will have a booth and you can get info and schedules from there.
    Or you can go to www.ocscmi.org and view info on that site. After many years of bowhunting I just started shooting some target and couldn't believe how helpful many of these people are.

    iT IS GOOD TO SEE YALL GOT A DIXIE HWY WAY UP IN DEM PARTS. HS



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  11. #11
    #1 THREAD KILLER Pinwheel1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    at your course..taking your money
    Posts
    1,999

    Default shooting lessons

    a good idea is hanging out at a proshop. Its how I started years ago. I bought my bow there. And would come in for an hour or so and just talk about any thing. When I started getting serious about getting good. the pro there would shoot w/ us and give us help w/ stance and form and proper use of a release. and it didnt cost me a thing. Most shops. I mean the good ones that want people to be successfull will give free advice and help. The more you like to shoot the more you'll be willing to spend your money there. Its a kinda scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. also, bringing friends in to buy things from there. Shops will be more willing to help a person thats willing to help the shops out. Works both ways. Good luck!!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Similar Threads

  1. Lessons in Unorthodox Potitions.
    By Tenderfoot in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 01:50 PM
  2. Life Lessons
    By Slippy in forum Jokes Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
  3. Important lessons learned from scouting...
    By Dredly in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 10:12 AM
  4. Archery Lessons, arrgghh...
    By Chris in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
  5. New Old lessons
    By Hkdfrlife in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •