You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Shooting Lessons

I'm wondering if anyone out there in the Metro Detroit Area knows where I could get some shooting lessons. I got my bow in November and have only been able to shoot once to sight it in. I would really like to get some lessons and have my name on a waiting list through MJC, but have had it on there for weeks and have heard nothing. They need a minimum of 3 participants and currently only have 2. I can't afford $35 an hour for private. I'm planning on starting leagues next year but will feel very stupid joining a league not knowing what I am doing!

Thanks!

Joining that league might be the best way for you to meet some of the top archers in your area who can and will give you as much help as they can.

Don't be bashful

Smile Hold your head up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Shafts Rule View Post
    Joining that league might be the best way for you to meet some of the top archers in your area who can and will give you as much help as they can.

Don't be bashful
    I myself started out knowing nothing.still don;t know nothing paid $10 to enter a 3d shoot.When all was said and done i learned more that afternoon.Just by the other guys showing and telling me things.doyourself a favor .just step out there and all that free knowledge will flow your way for free.

boy these are some old posts were dragging to the top but they are some great info.....

you would be amazed at how much people are willing to help you in your shooting....go to shoots....join leauges.....best move I ever made......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by bobby vee View Post

I myself started out knowing nothing.still don;t know nothing paid $10 to enter a 3d shoot.When all was said and done i learned more that afternoon.Just by the other guys showing and telling me things.doyourself a favor .just step out there and all that free knowledge will flow your way for free.
    If you cant get enough help.then put out the other hand.

Site Guru

A really good starting point is right here! take some pics of your draw and we'll give you some pointers.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    A really good starting point is right here! take some pics of your draw and we'll give you some pointers.
    I did this and found the comments very useful. Most of them anyway

I also found my local archery shop and archery club and they have both been very helpful on helping me, by watching me shoot.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

I started out and help was far and few out there and formed some bad habits that later as some fellas showed some stuff and I read olimpiad books and got starighten out. If you have a pro who could show you the ropes I would go for it. I have often stated if I take on golf I am gonna get me a pro to show me the how tos. My $1 worth HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default Instruction

I am not sure where you are in the Metro area, but if you are close to Waterford ( Dixie Hwy. and I-75 area) there is the OCSC that has a great archery facility that has leagues and instruction. They have leagues that are coed and a womans league. Many of the people involved have been shooting for along time or have been involved with J.O.A.D. program. If you have an opportunity to go to the Outdoorama at the Rock Financial Place on Feb. 21-25 OCSC will have a booth and you can get info and schedules from there.
    Or you can go to www.ocscmi.org and view info on that site. After many years of bowhunting I just started shooting some target and couldn't believe how helpful many of these people are.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by rcgerchow View Post
    I am not sure where you are in the Metro area, but if you are close to Waterford ( Dixie Hwy. and I-75 area) there is the OCSC that has a great archery facility that has leagues and instruction. They have leagues that are coed and a womans league. Many of the people involved have been shooting for along time or have been involved with J.O.A.D. program. If you have an opportunity to go to the Outdoorama at the Rock Financial Place on Feb. 21-25 OCSC will have a booth and you can get info and schedules from there.
    Or you can go to www.ocscmi.org and view info on that site. After many years of bowhunting I just started shooting some target and couldn't believe how helpful many of these people are.

iT IS GOOD TO SEE YALL GOT A DIXIE HWY WAY UP IN DEM PARTS. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default shooting lessons

a good idea is hanging out at a proshop. Its how I started years ago. I bought my bow there. And would come in for an hour or so and just talk about any thing. When I started getting serious about getting good. the pro there would shoot w/ us and give us help w/ stance and form and proper use of a release. and it didnt cost me a thing. Most shops. I mean the good ones that want people to be successfull will give free advice and help. The more you like to shoot the more you'll be willing to spend your money there. Its a kinda scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. also, bringing friends in to buy things from there. Shops will be more willing to help a person thats willing to help the shops out. Works both ways. Good luck!!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS