You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What has happened to our sport?

Having a rotaional work schedlue allows me alot of time off during the day and today being one of those days I wilded away the time with my second favorite pasttime; watching hunting shows;( my 1st being poking holes in a target). I began to notice that on every show all they were concerned about was BIG horns being a trophy. Is this what we as hunters want to teach our next generation? I've taken a few deer in my time hunting; with both gun & bow; but my greatest trophy was a matuer DOE with my bow. I considered this to be a great accomplishment. To get this animal within 16yds and make a clean kill with a modern primative weapon was the greatest thrill of my hunting career. Any thoughts?

Default Your Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Having a rotaional work schedlue allows me alot of time off during the day and today being one of those days I wilded away the time with my second favorite pasttime; watching hunting shows;( my 1st being poking holes in a target). I began to notice that on every show all they were concerned about was BIG horns being a trophy. Is this what we as hunters want to teach our next generation? I've taken a few deer in my time hunting; with both gun & bow; but my greatest trophy was a matuer DOE with my bow. I considered this to be a great accomplishment. To get this animal within 16yds and make a clean kill with a modern primative weapon was the greatest thrill of my hunting career. Any thoughts?
    Very well put, To much thought on the horns!
    Now with that said!
    Im a bowhunter who LOVES to eat deer.
    Some archers are after horns and dont even eat deer.
    Im going on a bowhunt in OHIO booked with an outfitter and the first question i asked him was does he have a walk-in freezer or a way to keep the meat for a week while im there.
    Im going there to kill a BIG buck with Big horns And Big Hams and Backstraps!
    Thats what i payed for!
    But if the last day and the last bit of light comes with no buck,Im takin home some MEAT and will shoot a 150lb doe that he says are all over the place.
    And ill even post her big fat mug on this sight!
    Because im Proud to be a BOWHUNTER!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    Very well put, To much thought on the horns!
    Now with that said!
    Im a bowhunter who LOVES to eat deer.
    Some archers are after horns and dont even eat deer.
    Im going on a bowhunt in OHIO booked with an outfitter and the first question i asked him was does he have a walk-in freezer or a way to keep the meat for a week while im there.
    Im going there to kill a BIG buck with Big horns And Big Hams and Backstraps!
    Thats what i payed for!
    But if the last day and the last bit of light comes with no buck,Im takin home some MEAT and will shoot a 150lb doe that he says are all over the place.
    And ill even post her big fat mug on this sight!
    Because im Proud to be a BOWHUNTER!
    3 cheers.

Hip Hip horray, Hip hip Horray. Hip Hip Horay

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I am a deer hunter. I have killed a couple of nice bucks and a lot of small ones and quite a few does. I would love to kill a great big trophy but I am just as satisfied killing the smaller ones. The memories and the time spent in the woods is what matters to me.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

I love to see big deer in the woods, but I love to eat them even more.
    A doe deserves as much respect as a buck.

And remember you cant eat horns.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

I am a meat hunter first, I shoot the first couple that I get a chance at,buck, doe doesn't matter, I size up the straps and the hams and if they're worth getting the knife bloody Iam gonna let the air out of em.

Once I get a couple three in the deep freeze then I start thinking about horn stew. Drives me crazy when QDM people start pushing and looking down there nose at me for what I decide to shoot. I paid for the tag I'll fill it any legal way I see fit.

The horns are just a side show for why I hunt. I like spending time in the woods, spending time prepairing for the hunt. The challenge of getting deer close. And vension for the rest of the year to eat.

Todays world is Big deer and big money on equipment sad
    I too have sent allot of money on equipment but the last time I bought a new bow was a XI in 1993.

I don't care what I get. I want meat in the freezer, on the grill or crock pot and then on my plate.

Ron

Thankyou gentlemen. It's nice to know that there are still those in the hunting community that believe any animal taken in a humane leagle manner is a trophy. I have a 10yr old son who is really into hunting. He hasn't taken a deer yet but I keep telling him his time is comming. He'll have to do it the hard way though; either with his bow or with his single shot rifle. I'm trying to make him learn that he has to make the 1st shot count; because with the equipment he is using he only has 1 chance & it has to be right.

I admit it...I want big bucks. Granted I don't get that much time in the woods and I hunt in the Texas hill country where I could fill my doe tags every day so the idea of getting shut out isn't something I think about. With me and the wife hunting, I know we will have our freezer filled within a couple days of us being at our lease. I enjoy hunting period..whether it is for does/pigs/bucks/whatever, but I do get more excited when a nice buck comes into range. Heck, I don't even have a nice buck yet with my bow...couple nice 10 pointers with a rifle, but the only bucks I have shot with a stick are spikes! I know you can't eat em, but I sure would like some nice horns to hang on the wall!
    Hook 'Em Horns

if i am meat hunting i will take a doe.... as for a buck unless he is 5 1/2 yrs old and bigger than what i have on the wall i let him walk and hope to get him when he grows up..... at the places i have hunted the past 11 years it was easy to do that because as in West Texas and the Hill country being skunked just aint gonna happen unless you have ants in the pants and cant be still.....

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    if i am meat hunting i will take a doe.... as for a buck unless he is 5 1/2 yrs old and bigger than what i have on the wall i let him walk and hope to get him when he grows up..... at the places i have hunted the past 11 years it was easy to do that because as in West Texas and the Hill country being skunked just aint gonna happen unless you have ants in the pants and cant be still.....
    this does not however count for spikes and inferior deer that need to be taken to get them out of the gene pool......

Like to shoot bucks but theres never much meat on those horns

Don't get me wrong folks. I like horns as mich as the other guy, but it seems as if that's all anyone is concerned about. The way I was brought up thats not what hunting, fishing, or being in the outdoors is about. If we arn't teaching our kids this then we may as well just stay at home and let them play video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Don't get me wrong folks. I like horns as mich as the other guy, but it seems as if that's all anyone is concerned about. The way I was brought up thats not what hunting, fishing, or being in the outdoors is about. If we arn't teaching our kids this then we may as well just stay at home and let them play video games.
    we want the deer to mature and produce healthy deer and that is why i shoot does for meat and let the bucks that are superior walk so the herd stays healthy and grows ...... if we shoot litle bucks we will not have big bucks..... does are what controls the populations in my opinion .... i teach my children about hunting as well as conservation to make sure there will always be animals to hunt

I wish they would show more in the way they setup a stand for wind or what makes it a good stand site. Now they also do not show and tell the bow, arrow, release or fingers tab and setup of the bow. Also would love them to show some misses and yes take a doe or young buck. Gets me to see them pass on bucks I would kill for to get a shot at. Also maybe for us older guys how to make a good ground blind. Make the show more about learning hunter skills and not just the kill. I would also love a show to be about the skills to tune a bow, or change a string or cable or make a string.

Bill

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

The horns are just a side show for why I hunt. I like spending time in the woods, spending time prepairing for the hunt. The challenge of getting deer close. And vension for the rest of the year to eat.
    I couldn't agree more!

THere is one show out there that shows getting young ones and does as well as the big buck and that is Spirit of the Wild. Ted is a true hunter. My self prefer does to put in the Freezer better meat as far as I am concerned. And to me it is about the time in the outdoors whether I get a deer or not.
    I'd Rather be BOWHUNTING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOBuzzCut View Post
    THere is one show out there that shows getting young ones and does as well as the big buck and that is Spirit of the Wild. Ted is a true hunter. My self prefer does to put in the Freezer better meat as far as I am concerned. And to me it is about the time in the outdoors whether I get a deer or not.
    yes but dont let the show fool you, Ted hunts horns and exotics for trophys. my brother in law lives near his place in Texas and see what he grows on his ranch.

Great thread. I would love to shoot a nice large racked buck but my main focus is filling the freezer. Any deer taken with a bow should be considered a Trophy. As long as it is taken legally. I once shot a big doe and she is my favorite trophy because she had busted me several times before hand.

"HONDA"