You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Arrow choice

Default Arrow choice

I am looking for some sugestions on arrow set ups for the upcoming year in 3D competition. My bow is set up for hunting right now and I am going to change the poundage to 60#. It is currently at 66#. I shot a Switchback and use Gold Tip XT Hunters 5575 at 29 inch with 100 grain tips. My question is this, what is the best arrow set up to close in my group for better results in the 3D meets? My draw length is 29in and I have room to cut an extra inch off the shafts if need be. On a good day I can group about 3 to 4 inch diameter at 30 yards.

The arrows you have would work OK. If you're chasing speed then you could try the GT 22 Ultralite or 22 Pro's if you want to spend the extra money.

I have mine set up with 1 1/2" Quickspins, pin nocks, and 80gr Nibb points. They tip the scales at just over 300gr.

If you are shooting Bowhunter classes then you might want to shoot 4" feathers, inserts and light points (65 or 75gr), or if vanes turn your crankshaft then the Duravane LP 4" are very good.

Carbon Express 200 or 300's with a 2.25" NAP Quickspins. Typical 100grain oversized field points might get the job done with your switchback. Also look at Carbon Express Maxima arrows. Very fitting for your bow. If you're looking for speed & penetration I lean toward Axis.

hope this helps.

DTP_HoytTec
    2006 Hoyt Trykon, 29" at 58#
    UltraRest Drop Away
    Target - Copper John PAA Sight
    Hunting - HHA Optimizer rheostat
    Fuse Tec. 4" Camo Stabilizer
    Medium/Black Vapor Trail Strings & Cables
    Beaver Balls
    Bohning Lynx 4
    Alpha Shox
    CX 200 w/white dip & 4" NAP Quickspins

Default Vanes and feathers

What is the advantage of using 4 inch vanes over the shorter vanes or feathers in the Bowhunter league. I just got 2.25 inch Quickspins for Christmas.

Default I think I might Know what you can do?

I Have been shooting aluminums for a while and really like them,they really group for me,for Hunting and 3D I shoot 2315s and Indoor I shoot 2613s, but if you're not looking to spend any money I think you have a good set up already. I wouldn't cut any more off of your arrows because it helps stable the arrow out better and will make it more accurate. If you want to get better groups you might want to try a new release. With the vanes 4 inch vaes also help stable out better.
    Last edited by luv hoyts; 01-01-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Well I have my Switchback set up w/250 linejammers from Carbon Express. I use the inch and half quick spins w/110gr. glue in points and lets say that if I am on my game that day (judging yardage) , no one is touching me as far as scores go.

Switchback @27" 64 lbs
    Linejammer 250 110gr
    Quickspins
    HHA Optimizer lite
    Copper Johns Scardy Kat
    Doinker 30" carbon
    STS

IMO the single best thing you can do is weight your arrows. To get the best grouping you need your arrows to weigh as close as possible. You arrows when fletched and ready to shoot should all be within 5 grains of each other. If not you could have problems especially out past 35 yards.

IMO any arrow is good if it shoots good. Shoot on lines. Get yourself some masking tape and make a large cross on your practice butt. When you shoot concentrate on only one line at a time. Shoot one arrow 2 inches from the other. This will solve two things. One, you wont trash your arrows shooting them all into a circle. Two, you'll be able to see what each arrow is doing.

Oh I should have mentioned that you'll need to number each of your arrows for this.

If you find one of your arrows is hitting wrong try turning the knock to the next vane.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wbmark
    What is the advantage of using 4 inch vanes over the shorter vanes or feathers in the Bowhunter league. I just got 2.25 inch Quickspins for Christmas.

Probably no advantage to using longer vanes except that if you are going to shoot IBO or ASA sanctioned shoots then you have to shoot 4" vanes or longer in the Bowhunter classes. Best to check their respective websites.

Besides equipment changes you also will need to make a serious effort to perfect your shooting form. 3"-4" groups at 30 yards isn't too bad if you are a fairly new shooter, but you should be able to cut that in half easily if you work on form and tweaking your setup. Good, repeatable form is everything in archery.