You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Clubs

Default Your Clubs

How involved are you guys and gals in your archery clubs?

I am asking cuz people around here don't like to help out so much. It is always the same few who run everything. Any ideas on getting people involved?

I use a bull whip, and peer pressure.

Really though, our club has about 15% that does everything. When you find the majic solution, please share it with us!
    www.livingstongunclub.org
    www.jimposten.com for the finest stabilizers in the world
    www.meanvarchery.com Custom String Suppression for that shot of a lifetime
    Add some custom bling with a www.slingbraid.com

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    How involved are you guys and gals in your archery clubs?

I am asking cuz people around here don't like to help out so much. It is always the same few who run everything. Any ideas on getting people involved?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is tha same way in church it is that same 10% who do it all.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

From what I have seen and heard, almost all clubs are up against the same problem.
    My club has about 150 members and when we have a work party, about 5 - 7 guys show up. I try to make as many work parties as possible and I also help write and distribute our monthly newsletter.
    Athens Accomplice 34
    Extreme RT900
    Self Appointed Captain of Team Athens NJ

Quote Originally Posted by chuck7413 View Post
    From what I have seen and heard, almost all clubs are up against the same problem.
    My club has about 150 members and when we have a work party, about 5 - 7 guys show up. I try to make as many work parties as possible and I also help write and distribute our monthly newsletter.
    I too do the newsletter. I am trying to think of something to guilt them into showing up to the work parties. I show up, but can't do a whole lot with 2 kids following me around. We usually go out and just pick up trash.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    I too do the newsletter. I am trying to think of something to guilt them into showing up to the work parties. I show up, but can't do a whole lot with 2 kids following me around. We usually go out and just pick up trash.
    Ya might consider havein drawin' and giving a way a doz arrows and maybe a local pro shop would donate tha prize as it would be in thier best intrest. great advetizin' being sent out ta 150 fellars.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Every club is feeling the crunch (or just about every volunteer type of organization). On average about 10% of the total population will volunteer to help. The best way to increase those numbers is finding a way to increase your total population.

At a few of the clubs I belong/ volunteer with, have different incentives for its volunteers:

Show up at 4 work parties: allow you to use the indoor facility
    40 hours of work: gives you a free membership for next year
    20 hours of work: allow you hunting privileges at the club
    After joining the club, a mandatory 5 hours prior to getting club privileges

Participation and volunteer work on the range, grounds, etc... is part of the membership requirement around here. 4 hours per year or something like that.
    Family members who do not shoot are mostly the ones who are involved the most I think.

$10/year lower membership dues if you volunteer 4 hours of work or something like that...

Ron

For most Archery only clubs around here cost any were from $40 - 60/ year. But membership are from 50 - 150 members, it all differs from club to club.

Site Guru

I just dropped my gun club... I didn't re-register in time and now its 50.00 again.

They basically do everything on a senority basis, the longer you've been there the more privs you get. It doesn't work, you have all the life long memebers with all the privs and none of them do anything.
    No I'm not dead

Same problem here... same handful that do everything. We are trying to think of ways to encourage active members, there's just not much incentive, they'd rather just pay the money and not have to work.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Sad to say, but most clubs are this way. About 10% do 90% of the work. My club has about 100 members.

I've been a member of my club since 1973 when we shot field archery. Back then there was always bale maintenance, especially once compounds hit the scene. Yeh, the same 10 people all the time.

I don't know why, but since going strictly 3D things have changed. We might have anywhere from 10-20 people show up to set up a 30 target 3D course and the same to tear down. Sure does make it easy on us old guys. Makes for some nice camaraderie, too. Doesn't take but 1 1/2 hrs and a lot more fun.

Maybe it has something to do with the requirment of getting so many hours work in to get hunting priviliges on the grounds. Maybe it's because we have an unusually friendly bunch of guys. I'm not knocking it.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Default Same here

Our club has the same problems with work. We have 3 retired members that do most of the mowing. We are grateful to have them. We have a lot of members that work construction and only have Sunday off. The 3D shoots are set up and tore down by some of the younger members. For a Sunday shoot we will set up some of the target on Friday before dark. Then finish Sat with whoever can make it. We have joked about the fact that we only have 2 members that help with work under 45 years of age.

My club is the same way. The archers are looked at as if we are lower class. But they always seem to have no problem taking the monies from the 3D shoots. We have 2 or 3 guys that set up and tear down our shoots. I volunteered as the 3D chairman for next year so we dont loose the shoots. But like everyone else small club with 10% doing the work.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Make 2 types of memberships: active and non-active.

Active members are required to help a certain # of hours or at a certain # of shoots. Charge them $30-$50 a year.

Non-active members are just that. The ones that do nothing and complain about everything. Make their membership $100-$150 a year.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

We do kinda like Jay-Are

You have to attend either 2 meetins a year or 2 work parties a year, or 1 of each. If not, you are not allowed in for the annual dues.You have to pay your 1st joining dues again.

We have about 90% od the archery members involved. THey help every setting up, cleaning and cutting trees and replacing bag targets, mowing. I think thats why we have one of the nicest 3d archery ranges around!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

I need to look into a local club. I would love to be a member of an archery club. Not sure if any around here though.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I need to look into a local club. I would love to be a member of an archery club. Not sure if any around here though.
    do a google search for archery clubs in your area..
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

The club by us credits you $50 for a work day and another $50 for working a shoot. So if you work both you can save $100 off your yearly membership.
    FBSA Member