You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did I waste my money?

Hello Everyone,

My name is Joe and I'm obviously new here. I'm also new to archery and in my haste to buy some equipment I purchased a used Hoyt/Easton Gamegetter II bow on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EWN:IT&ih=012). I paid $125.00 with shipping, and I was curious if that was reasonable. I would also like some advise on what necessary accessories I should buy, and can anyone recommend a good instructional DVD for a Newbie. I will also search the archives for some additional information, but I would greatly appreciate all recommendations.

Thanks!

Joe

depends on what you plan to do with it... if you are new to archery and want to start shooting and it works then no you did not waste money .... got to start somewhere . ... welcome to the sport and to the site.... there is alot of information here and many folks that will answer your questions.... no bashing of equipment here..... ask and it will be answered ... and we have fun by hi-jacking and giving folks a hard time all in good fun .....

let us know more about what you plan on doing... hunting, 3d, fun, then we can help with accessories

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    let us know more about what you plan on doing... hunting, 3d, fun, then we can help with accessories
    Right now just target, but it really depends on how well I shoot, ultimately I would like to Hunt deer. I live in Westchester County NY and they only allow bow hunting here, so I thought I'd try my hand at Archery and hope that over time I become as proficient at shooting a Bow as I am a Gun. I would also like to get the wife involved in target shooting but I'm not sure if this bow is too much for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe7Cri View Post
    Right now just target, but it really depends on how well I shoot, ultimately I would like to Hunt deer. I live in Westchester County NY and they only allow bow hunting here, so I thought I'd try my hand at Archery and hope that over time I become as proficient at shooting a Bow as I am a Gun. I would also like to get the wife involved in target shooting but I'm not sure if this bow is too much for her.
    I'm not sure how it will work for target.. but its a start. price? a few more dollars than I'd spend. but you got to start somewhere.
    instructional video.. go to " www.pse-archery.com
    search videos. "holding steady " video is top notch.
    intructed by michelle and terry ragsdale. very good video for beginners to pro's. good luck..
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Thanks Pinwheel.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Welcome ta this site and tha wonderful world of archery
    Glad ya got ya a bow now git out there and shoot the devil out of tha thing.
    and enjoy it ta tha fullest.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Thanks Holy Smokes, I'm hoping he shipped it today which means it should arrive tomorrow.

Quick equipment question:

Do I need the 3 finger gloves, or forearm protectors? I will probably get them for my wife if she shoots, but I've never minded a little soreness. I just want to make sure I won't slice open a forearm or something.

You'll want a 3 finger glove or a tab for sure. The selller thinks it's 55-70 lbs, I would take it to an archery shop and see if they can help you get set up. Your draw lenth and a draw weight you can deal with are going to make a big difference in your success in this venture.

should take it to a shop just to have it checked out prior to shootin either way you go.... get a release if you can much easier than shooting tabs and will help the accuracy part... as for the arm guard if you hold it right you dont need one but OUCH that one time you dont yes it will take skin with it and sting as well as bruise and or bleed....

and yes you need to make sure it fits you and or your wife.... draw length needs to fit you ... make sure the bow is checked out by someone that knows about bows before you shoot to make sure it will not come apart or something

As a beginning archer I would say to look for a archery club in your area and meet fellow shooters. It is a good way to pick up information and learn some helpful advice. Turn down the poundage on your new bow and work on achieving good shooting form. Don't worry about always hitting the bulleye and remember it is suppose to be fun. Oh and welcome to 3dshoots.

Thanks for the advise, I've looked for a club but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere close. I did find an archery shop not too far away, but I was actually there once before to buy ammo for a gun and I found them to be no so pleasant. I guess I'll have to go there anyway since there doesn't seem to be many options.

Thanks for the advise, I've looked for a club but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere close. I did find an archery shop not too far away, but I was actually there once before to buy ammo for a gun and I found them to be no so pleasant. I guess I'll have to go there anyway since there doesn't seem to be many options.

There always options Just be willing to do the research. I live in an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and I still find guys on the internet that will help if I have a problem or need parts. Alot of great guys here and at the other archery forum called Archerytalk.com. If you need advice just post up and I am pretty sure you will get the help that you need. Good shooting.

I agree with the above comments. First thing you should do is take that bow to a shop and have it given a once over to make sure it is ok to shoot. Then take a look at one of there bows that is set up completely, it will give you a basic idea of what you may want on your bow. I recommend that you do get an arm guard as a beginner. I would recommend that you get a shooting trigger device instead of fingers, they are more accurate and less wear and tear on the fingers. The best thing also to do is keep visiting archery forums. There is more information here and easier to get and understand than any book you could read. People are friendly here and most willing to answer any question you may have. Welcome to the world of archery, you won't regret it, your bank account might, but you won't. Now get out there and let them arrows fly.

Site Guru

you bought a 15 year old bow for 100.00...

you could have done much better as the Gamegetter is slow and rough on the draw with very little let off. But people have been using it for years to shoot deer with, it'll work for hunting but I wouldn't want to target shoot with it.
    No I'm not dead

Welcome Joe...

Dredly has a point...but to start with it should be fine...you did pay alittle more than I would have but, hey live and learn...just shoot the heck out of it...I shot 3d's for years with a 20 yr old Bear bow and had alot of fun...

Yeah I was stupid to bid on something that I knew nothing about, I just wanted to get started as soon as possible. Now I'm sitting at the door all day waiting for UPS to arrive.

Yeah I was stupid to bid on something that I knew nothing about, I just wanted to get started as soon as possible. Now I'm sitting at the door all day waiting for UPS to arrive.
    Don't beat yourself up over it, We've all done it...
    Like I said it will get you started...and when your skills surpass your equiptment...then you make a change...but until then, have fun and keep us posted...

Default Ha,Joe

To the forum!
    Well looks like the archery bug got to ya!
    Ya should have came here first, but every body is the same we jump the gun!
    I had a gamegetter 2 some 20years ago and sold it back around 1995
    youll still have fun with it.
    Its a great practice bow & could hunt with it!
    But next year before you buy another ask us first, we will look out for you!
    Arm guard and finger tab,yes.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A