You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it wrong?

Default is it wrong?

i just started hunting some public land last year and while scouting i found someones hang stand with corn spread about. it was in a great spot and when i came to it again this year his stand was no longer there so i put mine up, is there anything wrong with that?

He might think so. You'll find out soon enough.

When does your season start?

Public ground is first come first serve. He may not like it but will have to live with it. The only downside is if he is an donkeyhole you may be buying a new stand
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    Public ground is first come first serve. He may not like it but will have to live with it. The only downside is if he is an donkeyhole you may be buying a new stand
    Git ya a logging chain and BIG lock and lock er down.
    1st come 1st serve.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

[QUOTE=I missed;66438]i just started hunting some public land last year and while scouting i found someones hang stand with corn spread about. it was in a great spot and when i came to it again this year his stand was no longer there so i put mine up, is there anything wrong with that?[/QUOTE

My rule of thumb on public land is. You snooze you lose!!! And not sure about your dnr laws in your area. But baiting in our state is illegal now... So I'd get rid of the corn or move your stand!! LOL
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

[QUOTE=Pinwheel1969;66463]
    Quote Originally Posted by I missed View Post
    i just started hunting some public land last year and while scouting i found someones hang stand with corn spread about. it was in a great spot and when i came to it again this year his stand was no longer there so i put mine up, is there anything wrong with that?[/QUOTE

My rule of thumb on public land is. You snooze you lose!!! And not sure about your dnr laws in your area. But baiting in our state is illegal now... So I'd get rid of the corn or move your stand!! LOL
    i thought that a certain amount of baiting was allowed or it was only illegal in the tb areas

Before you climb all the way into your stand make sure that all is well with the stand.

1) Make sure that all the screw in steps are screwed all the way in.
    2) Check that nothing has been cut on your stand, Including the platform that you sit on
    3) If baiting isn't allowed look around for some bait hidden in the area. They may turn you in for hunting over bait.

If you think they may get mad I would hunt somewhere else.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

[QUOTE=I missed;66477]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post

i thought that a certain amount of baiting was allowed or it was only illegal in the tb areas
    according to the dnr web sites rules and regs on baiting. No more than 2gals of feed. and have to be spread in a minimum 10ft area. also, baiting is allowed only from oct.1 to jan. 1. state wide. Unless it is for viewing purposes. then has to be with in 100 yds. of residence and must have a permit. with same 2 gals. of bait maximum required.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

we can feed them year around and get them good and tame then shoot them here in Texas..........

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    we can feed them year around and get them good and tame then shoot them here in Texas..........
    we saw the video
    I cut things up and split them down!

good one isnt it.... sometimes we wish it were that easy on those long hot mosquito infested days you sit all day in and dont se anything .....but then again it wouldnt be hunting then would it......

In Texas you just invite em in for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by I missed View Post
    i just started hunting some public land last year and while scouting i found someones hang stand with corn spread about. it was in a great spot and when i came to it again this year his stand was no longer there so i put mine up, is there anything wrong with that?
    I know that it's first come first serve,, but is it really worth the headache and all the time spent lookin over your shoulder?

I would spend some time lookin for a back up spot, just in case the guy causes trouble.

Site Guru

No, there is nothing he can say or legally do to make you move... but depending on how petty he is its very possible he'll cut down the tree, screw with your stand, or any number of other things.

Thats why I hate hunting public land. People are jerks
    No I'm not dead

If it were your regular spot and someone beat you to it, what would you think about? How upset would you be? If not very upset, then why not use it.

I believe it is against the rules here in Indiana to even leave a tree stand in a tree overnight on public land. Makes for a more interesting foot race every morning. I hate public land.............................
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I believe it is against the rules here in Indiana to even leave a tree stand in a tree overnight on public land. Makes for a more interesting foot race every morning. I hate public land.............................
    that is correct for just about ALL public land as the Game Commision doesn't want to take responsibility for anyone being hurt. In addition it is illegal to "mark or damage" any trees which means you can't put up a permenant stand either
    No I'm not dead

who knows he may not even hunt that property, you should be fine just make sure to lock your stand up

I need some good training advice....they aren't minding me on my lease! I didn't even shoot a buck last year and only saw one shooter while in my stand. He busted me a 3/4 draw while standing broadside at 17yds....that was my last day on stand last season. I was so mad I shot the arrow anyway. It bounced off the ground and hit 10 ft up a tree about 80 yds away. I double lunged the tree, but the meat was a bit woody
    Hook 'Em Horns

And just so I am not hijacking, you should hunt it, but like stated above make sure you check everything out just in case the guy is a jerk.
    Hook 'Em Horns