You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: New Scope

Default New Scope

Ok, So I went out and got a new scope last week. I put it on Saturday. Saturday I shot week 2 of the spot league and Sunday 3D.
    With the spot league, I did better than my usual spots and with 3D well - I shot the highest score so far for me this year (280 - No 12's in the league just 5-8-10, But if they were counting 12's would have had a 294).

So my problem comes today, I changed my peep. I went to a smaller peep to accommodate the smaller diameter of my scope. I seem to be shooting to the left. I am wondering on to why, did my anchor point change some how? or Is my scope not centered to my peep?

Looking for thoughts and theroies on why this would happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    Ok, So I went out and got a new scope last week. I put it on Saturday. Saturday I shot week 2 of the spot league and Sunday 3D.
    With the spot league, I did better than my usual spots and with 3D well - I shot the highest score so far for me this year (280 - No 12's in the league just 5-8-10, But if they were counting 12's would have had a 294).

So my problem comes today, I changed my peep. I went to a smaller peep to accommodate the smaller diameter of my scope. I seem to be shooting to the left. I am wondering on to why, did my anchor point change some how? or Is my scope not centered to my peep?

Looking for thoughts and theroies on why this would happen...
    Assuming your new peep is in the same spot as your old peep. (You might try the superball peep with changeable apertures.)

The only thing I can ask is wether or not you changed the windage when you changed the scope... Either that or the pin on the new scope is not in the same center position as your old scope pin was. Move that thing a little and it will change arrow impact a lot left to right.

Good luck.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Assuming your new peep is in the same spot as your old peep. (You might try the superball peep with changeable apertures.)

The only thing I can ask is wether or not you changed the windage when you changed the scope... Either that or the pin on the new scope is not in the same center position as your old scope pin was. Move that thing a little and it will change arrow impact a lot left to right.

Good luck.

Ron
    Yea -- it's a superball, so you would think nothing would have changed????

I have moved it and I am fine with it for now... I am just wonder what might have effected it to change.

Yea -- it's a superball, so you would think nothing would have changed????

I have moved it and I am fine with it for now... I am just wonder what might have effected it to change.
    Just the windage maybe ???

Are your groups OK but just off center or did your groups expand ?

Ron

Just the windage maybe ???

Are your groups OK but just off center or did your groups expand ?

Ron
    Groups are about the same.

Groups are about the same.
    I don't know man, I'd go for adjusting the windage and try and fix that.

Good luck.

Ron

Hey,

Did you go to a smaller or larger scope size ? Smaller scope size, everything being the same, would make you hit left... Opposite for larger scope size than your original...

Ron

Hey,

Did you go to a smaller or larger scope size ? Smaller scope size, everything being the same, would make you hit left... Opposite for larger scope size than your original...

Ron
    Yea it was a smaller scope size... but everything was hitting fine with the larger peep. Once I went to the smaller peep, I started to hit left.

Yea it was a smaller scope size... but everything was hitting fine with the larger peep. Once I went to the smaller peep, I started to hit left.
    That might be your exact problem, combination of both. You went smaller on the peep and scope and removed the margin for error with the peep and reduced your sight picture. All of that combines to screw up the stew... You're potentially shooting better and more accurate and you probably found a flaw in your setup and maybe found an issue with tourquing the bow. I'd adjust windage and have at it.

I found when you close down tolerances small errors translate into ones that you did not see before.

Ron

I don't know man, I'd go for adjusting the windage and try and fix that.

Good luck.

Ron
    shoot indoors and seeif they are still shooting left. If not.. you know it was the wind.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
    shoot indoors and seeif they are still shooting left. If not.. you know it was the wind.

Ron

Ok.. Well I sort of was. The wife wasn't home... the kids were still in school. I can stand in my kitchen and shoot onto my front porch through the front door... 20 yards on the dot!

Ok.. Well I sort of was. The wife wasn't home... the kids were still in school. I can stand in my kitchen and shoot onto my front porch through the front door... 20 yards on the dot!
    Any which way you can brother...

Ron

well if its on the dot indoors, /you know its the wind. or if your are shooting on any off camber shots on the 3d range. you might be slightly canting your bow. or torquing it??
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

well if its on the dot indoors, /you know its the wind. or if your are shooting on any off camber shots on the 3d range. you might be slightly canting your bow. or torquing it??
    Yeah, I think he's just narrowing down his margin for error. He'll be shooting better in a while after he makes a couple of minor adjustments.

Ron