You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: holding steady?

Hybrid View

Question holding steady?

i have been bowhunting for about 2yrs and still cant hold my bow steady, anyone have any tips??
    Last edited by hoytman_08; 12-28-2005 at 11:10 PM.

Hoytman,
    Just some questions:

1.Do you have this problem when target shooting?
    2.What is your draw weight?
    3.Do you ever practice with your hunting clothes on, or simulate a hunting situation (like shooting from an odd position)?

I hope I can help.
    No bashing.......Violators will be shot.......Survivors will be prosecuted.

If you are looking to be rock steady, it will never happen. That said, you can improve how steady you hold. Usually there are two problems. First is the draw length may be wrong. To long a draw and you will wander all over the place. Too short and you will be steadier but the movements will be jerky and large. The second problem is pulling too much weight.

If you can provide a digital picture of you at full draw, this will help us tell if your draw length is an issue.

When drawing the bow, do you have to point it at the sky to get it drawn back? If yes, your pulling too many pounds. I tell the deer hunters, if you can't hold the bow pointed down at the deer out of a treestand and draw it straight back, you are pulling too much weight.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    If you are looking to be rock steady, it will never happen. That said, you can improve how steady you hold. Usually there are two problems. First is the draw length may be wrong. To long a draw and you will wander all over the place. Too short and you will be steadier but the movements will be jerky and large. The second problem is pulling too much weight.

If you can provide a digital picture of you at full draw, this will help us tell if your draw length is an issue.

When drawing the bow, do you have to point it at the sky to get it drawn back? If yes, your pulling too many pounds. I tell the deer hunters, if you can't hold the bow pointed down at the deer out of a treestand and draw it straight back, you are pulling too much weight.

It really doesn't get much more precise than this.

i am pulling 60 pounds with a 23.5 inch draw and i do have problems target shooting.

Try turning your draw weight down to 55 if you shoot a 50-60lb bow. If not I know you could still turn it down past specs providing it's a Hoyt.

Another question I have is your style of grip. If you have a closed fist around the grip, try something different. That type of style promotes hand torgue and quick fatigue. Try letting your fingers extend straight out, but don't keep them tense, just let them hang there. Another grip is to curl your four fingers in and put the tips of them on the front side of the riser, this grip promotes no hand torque and could help in keeping the bow steady.

Please try to submit a picture so we can further assist you!

*65% or 80% let-off?*

DTP_HoytTec
    2006 Hoyt Trykon, 29" at 58#
    UltraRest Drop Away
    Target - Copper John PAA Sight
    Hunting - HHA Optimizer rheostat
    Fuse Tec. 4" Camo Stabilizer
    Medium/Black Vapor Trail Strings & Cables
    Beaver Balls
    Bohning Lynx 4
    Alpha Shox
    CX 200 w/white dip & 4" NAP Quickspins