You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default How small can I make feathers and keep them effective?

I recently was given my grandfathers bow. It is a Jennings Arrowstar Mach 2. Its rather old but is in perfect condition. I am intending on using it for indoor and the occasional outdoor paper shoot. With this in mind, how small can i make my own feathers and keep them effective?

Right now, the arrows i have with the bow are about an inch short for my draw length. I have plenty of arrows to shoot out of it, but the originals had really small duravanes on them. My question is, can i make the feathers slightly bigger than the duravanes and keep them effective?

I want to shoot feathers because it is something that you dont see too often on aluminum arrows, and i think it will be fitting given that the bow is something you dont see verry often either.

Should i just buy the duravanes and be done with it or use feathers?

I have the burner to shape the feathers, so thats not something i need to consider getting just for what i had in mind.

Thanks
    -Walt

If you are shooting fingers, stay with 4" vanes. If you are shooting release you can go smaller but that would also depend on how heavy a shaft you are shooting.

If you are shooting a light shaft say under 450 grains, you might be able to shoot 3" feathers (again if you are shooting release). Otherwise go 4" feathers.

just my opinion.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Im not sure what the total weight of the shaft will be. Im using xx75 2018 shafts, traditional nocks, 100 grain combo points, and feathers.

Im shooting with a release at about 50#

The more i thought about making the feather slightly bigger than the 1.8 duravane the more i worried about it not working out the way i wanted. I was thinking about going to 2.5 inch feathers, but if you recoomend larger ill go with what is suggested for this setup

Thanks for the info

-Walt

Shooting the 2018, you can shoot the smaller feathers and will still get good flight with your setup. I used to shoot the 2.5" feathers on a small carbon shafts and shot some really good scores with that setup.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

great, thanks for the info.

I picked up full length feathers yesterday, cant wait to get everything fletched so i can give it a shot.