You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Thinking of returning to archery, stupid question alert

I learned archery many, MANY years ago in Scouts and even had my own fiberglass recurve I shot at home for many years. I'm thinking about getting back into it, but I think someone may have miss-trained me all those years ago.

The bows we used in Scouts, and my old recurve, were universal - neither right nor left hand. I am right handed (hold the bow in my left, draw the string with my right), and at the time I was taught to rest the arrow between the knuckle of my left thumb and the bow - that is, on the right side of the bow.

However, the right-handed traditional bows I'm seeing these days have the arrow shelf on the left side of the bow.

So the stupid question is this - is this just a question of style (one technique vs. another) or did someone mess me up at an early age?

Or third option - maybe I wasn't paying attention as a kid, and the instructors didn't bother to correct me?

I'm not an expert in traditional equipment but that's not right.

Right handed shooter (pull with right), the arrow should be on the left side of the bow.
    Chris Christenson - Admin - Find Archery Shoots near you - Archery Supplies

West Virginia

Lightbulb Just keep trying

I think you should just keep trying to shoot, but you might try using a compound I like Hoyts, but there are many others out there.
    I have been shooting from a young age and am still shooting,after so just keep up the work and send me a reply after you read this.

Fond du Lac, WI

Default Keep looking

Try to find yourself a nice comfortable bow. I'd suggest an older Hoyt. MT Sport or Razortec. Othewise take a look at PSE. They have a decent line of bows for the price, and they're good for an entry level shooter.

2006 Hoyt Trykon, 29" at 58#
    UltraRest Drop Away
    Target - Copper John PAA Sight
    Hunting - HHA Optimizer rheostat
    Fuse Tec. 4" Camo Stabilizer
    Medium/Black Vapor Trail Strings & Cables
    Beaver Balls
    Bohning Lynx 4
    Alpha Shox
    CX 200 w/white dip & 4" NAP Quickspins