You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Where have all the hunters Gone?

I was reading CNN online and came across this article,(where have all the hunters gone) it's pretty interesting and I think they hit the nail on the head when they mentioned rising license costs. Doesn't matter to me, I am going to pay it anyway, it costs me $20 for a hunting license; $16 for an archery stamp, $11 for a muzzleloader stamp, $16 for a bear stamp, $3 for a migratory bird stamp, $25 for a bonus spring gobbler stamp, and $18 for three doe licenses. Do the math, that's $109.00 and well worth every penny for the amount of time i spend in the woods. lets add another $15 for the federal bird stamp. $124.00

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayof....ap/index.html

Is it really fee's keeping people away from hunting or is that just one piece of the big picture? The cost of buy a license is minor compaired to the price of a bow or a gun, camo that you just can't live without, super blowhard call and of course deer won't grow horns if you don't plant some of this super special horny seed.

or

A lot of us are so worried about getting a big buck we walk on anybody in our way. Heck just go on AT and write a thread about a four point you killed at 7 am opening morning and see how many clowns bust your balls. I won't even go to the hunting section of AT anymore just for this reason. Sometimes were our own worst enemy.

All for a piece of horn that when it comes down to it doesn't even make a good lamp.
    I enjoy time spent outdoors, the challenge of the hunt, and the time spent with friends and family getting ready for a hunt, the hunt itself, and the B.S session after the hunt. This is the part of the sport that we need to intraduce new hunters to, not the horns.

I couldn't agree more, don't get me wrong i like killin, but that isn't the only thing. And as for taking a kid hunting, there are none. I looked for two years to find a kid, relative, friends kid anyone to take out for that junior hunting season for spring gobbler in PA. The numbers are dropping and it is a shame.
    p.s. the smaller they are the better they taste and are easier to drag.....

Site Guru

in all honesty I think it has more to do with the urban sprawl and transplants then fees for licenses.

The urban sprawl is quickly destroying all available hunting land, especially up and down the east coast and the west coast where the largest populations of people are.

Add to that the number of "city 4 life" people moving out of the cities and into the country, these are the people who want to hunt... so they buy a gun the day before season and go to town, also the people who ruin hunting for the rest because of unsafe practices and "shoot anything" mentality.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    in all honesty I think it has more to do with the urban sprawl and transplants then fees for licenses.

The urban sprawl is quickly destroying all available hunting land, especially up and down the east coast and the west coast where the largest populations of people are.

Add to that the number of "city 4 life" people moving out of the cities and into the country, these are the people who want to hunt... so they buy a gun the day before season and go to town, also the people who ruin hunting for the rest because of unsafe practices and "shoot anything" mentality.
    Look at how much things have changed in the last few years. I have had a hard time finding hunting ground cuz everything is posted and if it isn't you could still be on someone's property. A few years ago, my brother and Bro-in-law where on some land that they thought was BLM and got held at gunpoint for a couple hours by a mad landowner until the sheriff came out to settle things.

Wow, here in ill. its not to bad for residents $31 for (either sex, antlerless, and a turkey tag(s)) archery season anywhere in the state Oct.1-Jan..? + the cost of your liscense which isn't much. $30 for mzldr. or firearm tags (either sex and antlerless) or just $15 for one or the other, + taxes!!! Tresspassing will get you shot though!! I don't own much ground so when I get meat processed over 1/2 of it goes directly to the landowners that let me hunt or landowners I would like to hunt on! You have to take care of your landowners no matter what. It's a privilege not a right to hunt on private ground!
    Last edited by tnts79; 09-05-2007 at 05:01 PM.

the more the cost goes up the more people quit hunting & the more the rest of have to pay,so more quit ,so on & on

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tnts79 View Post
    Wow, here in ill. its not to bad for residents $31 for (either sex, antlerless, and a turkey tag(s)) archery season anywhere in the state Oct.1-Jan..? + the cost of your liscense which isn't much. $30 for mzldr. or firearm tags (either sex and antlerless) or just $15 for one or the other, + taxes!!! Tresspassing will get you shot though!! I don't own much ground so when I get meat processed over 1/2 of it goes directly to the landowners that let me hunt or landowners I would like to hunt on! You have to take care of your landowners no matter what. It's a privilege not a right to hunt on private ground!
    Problem is when your state has 1 Million hunters, many of them paying top dollar for hunting leases there isn't many places to go, even if you are going to give 1/2 your deer away.
    No I'm not dead

I also live in PA and the cost of the hunting liscense just keeps going up, and I have 2 kids that want to hunt also. The game Commision keeps making and changing laws so much that you could break the law and be unknowing of it. IF you dont read your book cover to cover, you will end up breaking the law. Sometimes it seems that the MAN is trying to make hunting harder and harder for the average guy.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

the cost of hunting is priceless to those of us that were brought up doing it... the problem is to much tv, video games, and other activities that keep the kids out of their parents hair... they just dont want to go and the moms and dads dont push the kids to go outdoors... most of them would rather go hunt withg out them so they leave with sitters who let them play their games.... i like horns as much as the next guy and will shoot a doe for meat or a yearling for that tender taste... license in Texas is only around 75.00 but a good place to hunt.... 2,000 and up more on the up side lately.... so i hunt out of state on trip as it is cheaper for me... then find a place that has stands every 200 yards for gun hunters at 350.00 per year and since not many bow hunt i can get in early and then out before they start....

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

A licences in Tn fer it all including fishin' is 134
    I feel that th aPC crowd has had an effect on us ad well
    tha greenies if I may
    plus kids and computers no appreciation fer tha outdoors
    we gotta keep that segiment of society on our side

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    A licences in Tn fer it all including fishin' is 134
    I feel that th aPC crowd has had an effect on us ad well
    tha greenies if I may
    plus kids and computers no appreciation fer tha outdoors
    we gotta keep that segiment of society on our side
    in PA a fishing license is separate and you need an additional stamp to fish trout
    No I'm not dead

I can't agree more with the comments that I have read. The cost for a license just went up this year here in Alabama. Can't complain much though this is the 1st time in 20yrs. As for the kids; mine plays games just like others do but when I mention hunting he beats me out of the bed in the morning. He's a 10yr old adict and I love it.

Keep him interested, first time experiences only happen once!

see my pics and stories in buckmasters on line magazine regarding my daughter and our hunts.... cant beat takin the kids to the woods.....