You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: public land

Default public land

i just found a killer spot on state land less than a mile from my house.
    its a ways back but there seems to be an old brush blind made of big pieces of bark. there were also a few really old looking cobs of corn. this is just about the only spot that caught my eye though. should i hang a stand or will some guy will mess with my spot?

if i hang a stand do yoiu think people will know enough to stay away from that area

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bowcraze30 View Post
    if i hang a stand do yoiu think people will know enough to stay away from that area
    if Michigan is like PA if you hang a stand it will do nothing but pull people to your spot. NEVER EVER EVER hang a stand on public land as every state that I know of is a "first come first serve", you may come in at 5:30 only to find someone else in your spot yelling at you to get out of the area.

in addition most states do not allow leaving personal property in the woods overnight so if you get a game warden who wants to be a jerk walking by he can fine you
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    if Michigan is like PA if you hang a stand it will do nothing but pull people to your spot. NEVER EVER EVER hang a stand on public land as every state that I know of is a "first come first serve", you may come in at 5:30 only to find someone else in your spot yelling at you to get out of the area.

in addition most states do not allow leaving personal property in the woods overnight so if you get a game warden who wants to be a jerk walking by he can fine you
    okay well i have a pop up blind so should i just use that and make sure to get out there early as i can? and in michigan im pretty sure you can hang a stand just for the season if you have name and adress on it

If you hang a stand you run the risk of it disappearing and someone else being there opening mourning...

I use a climber on state land...

You could try the blind and see how you make out...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    If you hang a stand you run the risk of it disappearing and someone else being there opening mourning...

I use a climber on state land...

You could try the blind and see how you make out...
    is there anything i can do to discourage other hunters from hanging stands in the area

In Indiana we are allowed to leave the stand up from Sep 1 to Jan 10 and must be marked with name,phone number and address.

As for the person in my stand yelling at me................well lets just say that would not be smart.

I do believe though you have those idiots who know nothing about hunting that finds a guys stand and then pops up a blind about 20 yards away and tries to count on the stand hunter to be their scout. Which also angers myself to the point of

"HONDA"

is there anything i can do to discourage other hunters from hanging stands in the area
    Maybe stand out there 24/7 with an AK.

"HONDA"

Not really...If anything should discourage them it would be to hang your stand...
    That will discourage the ethical guys but the scumbags will just steal your spot...

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Maybe stand out there 24/7 with an AK.
    ill just bring one with me on the way out..

Not really...If anything should discourage them it would be to hang your stand...
    That will discourage the ethical guys but the scumbags will just steal your spot...
    thats my dilema... maybe ill just scout more and find a spot 10 miles back that no one would even want to find

I just refuse to allow others to determine how or where I hunt.

"HONDA"

thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I just refuse to allow others to determine how or where I hunt.
    That's what I like about archery season...the woods are empty here...I can hunt state land all season and not see another hunter...until a week before rifle, that's when the city guys start scouting...

the state land is about 1/2 mile from my house. i live on 2.5 acres in the woods and i see tons of deer. this year there has been a decent 9 or 10 point hangin around along with a smaller buck. i see the smaller buck everyday so its pretty cool. i just dont want to shoot it off my porch if you know what i mean

the state land is about 1/2 mile from my house. i live on 2.5 acres in the woods and i see tons of deer. this year there has been a decent 9 or 10 point hangin around along with a smaller buck. i see the smaller buck everyday so its pretty cool. i just dont want to shoot it off my porch if you know what i mean
    I here ya...well if you're that close...try hanging your stand...

I here ya...well if you're that close...try hanging your stand...
    yeah im gonna take a buddy out there and get another opinion. i think i will hang a stand make sure to lock it and take my screw in steps

yeah im gonna take a buddy out there and get another opinion. i think i will hang a stand make sure to lock it and take my screw in steps
    sounds like a plan...good luck

We are not allowed to penetrate the tree more than 1/2" on public land. So we use ladder stands or climbing sticks.

"HONDA"

okay well i have a pop up blind so should i just use that and make sure to get out there early as i can? and in michigan im pretty sure you can hang a stand just for the season if you have name and adress on it
    pop up stands are good if you can leave them out a few weeks ahead. The deer will get spooky with something new in the area. And will stay clear for a while. Also, cover it as well as you can with brush. Make look more like a brush pile than a blind... and look as natural as possible to... And as for state land.. Stands left behind are just getting asked to be stolen. I had 3 stands stolen in 3 days about 5 years ago on state land. I bought a cheapo and hung another one. Waited behind some dead fall the next day.And so you know, I'm about 1 mile into the woods. Sure as Sh$%&#*. A fat hill billy looking guy showed up with bolt cutters. as soon as he got my stand down I confronted him. He tried to say he didnt steal it. He found it on the ground. Then started to get pushy. Needless to say it got ugly and he got his teeth set back a few inches and his arm dislocated. When the cops arrived they found 25 stands in the back of his pick up. By the way the cop thanked me.... So just be carefull when you leave your stand in the tree. chain and bolt it to the tree. good luck!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS