You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: New Shooter

Hybrid View

Default New Shooter

I'm just going to get started to archery after watching a match at a range near me. I'd like to get compound bow, arrows etc. to do some target shooting - I'm not a hunter. I've noticed that there are some package bows and arrows being sold by Pro Bass Shop near me in the $300 to $400 range. Any idea as to what I should be getting? I'm 6' tall, if that helps.

Welcome to archery.

Are you planning to shoot indoor? Or, are you planning to shoot field archery?

To my knowledge, there are 4 Bass Pro stores in Florida. Destin, Islamorada, Ft. Lauderdale, and Orlando. Which is close by?

Also, you should be able to get some info from the people that were shooting in the match.

Pinky
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Default Shooting

I plan to shoot at the indoor range at the Ft. Lauderdale Pro Bass facility and take some lessons there prior to purchasing a bow. I watched the range event up in Sabastian ove r the Christmas holiday. Everyone was so busy I just watched, I usually shoot military surplus rifles and don't like it when people start asking me questions when I'm trying to aim - I decided to be well mannered. I bought a book on archery and looked at some equipment and have searched on line (which is where I found this forum). I usually like to read and study a subject prior to spending money, usually on the wrong stuff!

Well it sounds like you are on the right track.

And, yes, I can understand you not wanting to bother shooters while they are on the line. But, you can get some good info during practice and after the shoot.

I am not a big fan of superstore archery places like Bass Pro. We have one in Concord, NC. Altough the folks, in Concord, NC, are friendly, they are not very knowedgable about set ups, tuning, and teaching. Just my opinion.

Hopefully someone will chime in here on some good archery shops in the Ft. Lauderdale area.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Default New shooter

also, just go to some shoots. It will give you an idea on what to expect. also shooting tips are easily found when watching good shooters. A good Pro will give you good fundamentals on shooting form and target panic. Also, practice practice.... good luck!!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Default New kid

I am new too and i have been shooting since September and I might shoot
    3D. I need some advice about 3D shooting. I shoot Parker Buckshot, what would be the best type of arrows or release.