You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Broadhead tuning

Last week i busted out the Muzzy 4 blades to make sure the Broadheads are shooting straight since my season starts in 21 days. To my surprise my broadheads were shooting 5 inches lower then my field points (both 100grs). I shoot 27.5 Carbon express Terminator lites 45/60 at 50#. I thought that the Broadheads should shoot the same as field points, or does the Broadheads still need tuning after shooting fields. Whats the Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by ILhunter16 View Post
    Last week i busted out the Muzzy 4 blades to make sure the Broadheads are shooting straight since my season starts in 21 days. To my surprise my broadheads were shooting 5 inches lower then my field points (both 100grs). I shoot 27.5 Carbon express Terminator lites 45/60 at 50#. I thought that the Broadheads should shoot the same as field points, or does the Broadheads still need tuning after shooting fields. Whats the Deal?
    it def. needs tuning broadheads fly completly different than field tips.

My hunting arrows are nealy 100 grains heavier than my 3D arrows. I shot my broadheads last weekend and found them to fly identical to my 3D arrows at 20 yards. Use my 35 yard mark for 30 and my 45 yard mark for 40.

As long as your bow is properly tuned broadheads should be very close. I got very lucky though being my bow is tuned for the 3D setup. Shooting G5 Tekan II's and Montecs in 100 grain.

By the way Muzzy heads are great, but I've found them to be a pain getting them to fly even out of a perfectly tuned bow. When I shot them, I just moved my sights to zero the broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    My hunting arrows are nealy 100 grains heavier than my 3D arrows. I shot my broadheads last weekend and found them to fly identical to my 3D arrows at 20 yards. Use my 35 yard mark for 30 and my 45 yard mark for 40.

As long as your bow is properly tuned broadheads should be very close. I got very lucky though being my bow is tuned for the 3D setup. Shooting G5 Tekan II's and Montecs in 100 grain.

By the way Muzzy heads are great, but I've found them to be a pain getting them to fly even out of a perfectly tuned bow. When I shot them, I just moved my sights to zero the broadheads.
    how do you like the tekan IIs becuse they caught my eye but the blades look alittle small. i mean iim sure its eneough to kill a deer but, does it make a gaping hole?

You may be able to get away with moving your rest up slightly...You can get Broadheads to fly the same as fieldpoints it just takes some tweeking...

Just remeber small movements make big changes...you should easily be able to get your BH's within 1" of your FP's

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

First have good straight arrows and be punchin' good holes in paper-
    next take a spinner tool or straightener -
    now make you a cardboard or old piece of framing mat about 10" by 6"-
    put a paralle line across it where the point of heads touch the mat-
    now every 1" make you a 2" horizontal line -you should have crosses.
    turn your shaft on the spinner and keep your head on the center on the cross on the board
    if the point rolls around in a small circle you will need to rotate yore head and insert about 1/8 turn . I use hot melt and heat my shafts being alumiumn.-
    keep doing this till the point of head stays on the center point of cross on board.

Hope this clear enough. Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

The exact same thing happened to me when i started shooting my muzzy mx-3's. I have to ask what rest you are using, im using an NAP drop-away and came to find that the tension was too high, making it drop too fast. I just let off the tension and the field points and broadheads started shooting right on top of eachother. I hope this helps
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt_hunter007 View Post
    The exact same thing happened to me when i started shooting my muzzy mx-3's. I have to ask what rest you are using, im using an NAP drop-away and came to find that the tension was too high, making it drop too fast. I just let off the tension and the field points and broadheads started shooting right on top of eachother. I hope this helps
    I shoot a WB so thats not the problem, Ill probably just adjust the sights to the Broadheads since i dont shoot 3d and the huntin season is so close and thanks for all the info. I appreciate it

I shoot a WB so thats not the problem, Ill probably just adjust the sights to the Broadheads since i dont shoot 3d and the huntin season is so close and thanks for all the info. I appreciate it
    Which Biscuit...Drop tine...if so try moving it up just a half a mark and see if it makes a difference...a little bit goes a long way...

Quote Originally Posted by bowcraze30 View Post
    how do you like the tekan IIs becuse they caught my eye but the blades look alittle small. i mean iim sure its eneough to kill a deer but, does it make a gaping hole?
    Haven't shot a deer with them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I had one bad experience with expandables several years ago so it took quite a while to try them again. The Tekan II's fly like a dart and out penetrate my Montecs in my Black Hole target. Hope to put one to the test on Saturday.

Default Broadheads!

Haven't shot a deer with them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I had one bad experience with expandables several years ago so it took quite a while to try them again. The Tekan II's fly like a dart and out penetrate my Montecs in my Black Hole target. Hope to put one to the test on Saturday.
    I have shot Rocket mechinicals now for about 10 years!
    Havent had a problem with them yet!
    I shoot Beman ICS 400 hunter shafts for 3D, Put the rockets on and off huntin!
    Dont have to move a pin!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    I have shot Rocket mechinicals now for about 10 years!
    Havent had a problem with them yet!
    I shoot Beman ICS 400 hunter shafts for 3D, Put the rockets on and off huntin!
    Dont have to move a pin!
    You devil you

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Why just resight. You have 20 days left. It takes but a few hours to make the bow better, depending on how anal you are about it. Once you have field points and broadheads hitting the same POI then you can resight.

Resighting should pretty well be a breeze. Speed isn't going to change dramatically so you should be able to gang adjust the whole sight. Do it at 20 yards then go to 30 yards and try it. You might have to tinker a bit, but it shouldn't take that long.

You'll enhance the penetration by doing this, too. And you can practice with filed points or broadheads. Your choice.

There is little else more irresponsible than going hunting with poorly tuned equipment. You have all year to work on it. Why wait till the last minute?
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

I've used muzzy 100gr 3 blade for a long time and when i switched the other day from fp's to bh's i was 1.5 inches to the left of fp @ 20yds .Horizontaly i was dead on.I've never had any trouble w/muzzy's.No offence, but you make all your bh tunning ajustment's at the rest ( for Horizontal adjustments..Normally moving your sight left or right won't help) but you can get buy with a gang ajustment for vertical.

ok i will try to make the adjustments at the rest. Thanks.