You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Default Is my draw length to long? part 2 W/ parallel pic

I had a pic with me from the side, I think that is what was asked of me to provide. I do lock my bow arm and I have never been string bit. I dont know if that little piece of info helps or not. It looks like the knock is under my eye

Is my draw length to long? part 2 W/ parallel pic - General Archery Forum
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Your DL might be about a 3/4" - 1" too long....it appears as if you are leaning BACK.

Try standing STRAIGHT UP with about 70% of your weight on your left foot.

The RED line thru the top of your head is about where your spine is....

I try to keep that red line on the same plane as the green line:

When you acheive THE CORRECT DRAW LENGTH....you will be AMAZED at how much steadier you can hold your bow at FULL DRAW

Good Luck...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 82nd Airborne Realtree H/D Green, I shot the 101st first...and then the 82nd second...went with the 82nd FIRST....
    #65.16 @27.5", 26" 362 gr. Easton Nano 500, GrizzTricks, FOB = 320 fps, 82.33 ft./lbs. K.E., G5 Expert II
    2007 Commander Mossy Oak OBS #68.00 @??.?", 26" 383 gr. C/X Aramid 250, FOB = ??? fps
    www.angelfire.com/empire/realbow/buck1.html

you want to make a cross with your form. not bad but your release hand elbow has to come down parallel to your bow hand. relax your shoulder. looks like your atad thight on your bow arm...
    Last edited by Pinwheel1969; 09-11-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

I'm not making fun...but i always said if the string came back past the tip of your nose... than chances are the DL is to long....jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    I'm not making fun...but i always said if the string came back past the tip of your nose... than chances are the DL is to long....jmo.
    You are very correct, nose should be touching the string with the end of it not the side. Then you will need to adjust your peep sight as well. Basically you draw back with eyes closed and when you open your eyes that is where the peep should be.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

I use the string on the tip of the nose and corner of my mouth method and this seems to work well.....

this is a freind of mine who's form is very good and his scores are better.....great archer.....

notice how much lower his anchor point is and notice the string on the tip of the nose and the corner of the mouth........

I think if you lowered your anchor a little bit it would help you greatly

try putting the first nuckle of your index finger right in under your ear lobe....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks better in this pic, but still looks a little long to me. Is it comfortable for you, or do you feel like you are stretched out a little?

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    Looks better in this pic, but still looks a little long to me. Is it comfortable for you, or do you feel like you are stretched out a little?
    I feel stretched a little, and creep is being a PITA for me, I dunno if its because my bow arm is fatigued or if my release isnt sitting on my wrist correctly
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Try a T handle release. Tru Ball makes some nice ones that you can add a wrist strap to also.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Quote Originally Posted by nylouie516 View Post
    I feel stretched a little, and creep is being a PITA for me, I dunno if its because my bow arm is fatigued or if my release isnt sitting on my wrist correctly
    I know that when I go back to my wrist release, I feel really stretched out and can't shoot worth a crap with it anymore, but my Tru ball fits just right. If you can, I would try a shorter DL for at least a week. It felt really bad the first time I changed my DL, but I got use to it and shoot even better now.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nylouie516 View Post
    jmo.but the fatigued is probably from the dl being a tad long.....throws your back/shoulders out of skelter.

I think the draw length of the bow is about 1/2" long. The string loop is way too long and the release needs to be shortened. When you get it right your drawing arm should be about parallel with the arrow instead of the elbow pointed down toard the ground. The dawing arm should form a straight line from the elbow to the arrow.

As Bowman mentioned, lower the anchor so you can touch your nose on the string. Move the peep up the string accordingly.

Yes, your bowarm is hyper extended and needs to be relaxed, not necessarily bent,but not locked. And your bow hand seems too vertical with too much palm in the grip. Rotate the hand so the knuckles are angled to 45 degrees and shoot with the fingers totally relaxed. To do this it looks like that wrist sling needs loosened up. It's not supposed to cut off circulation to your hand.

You just need a couple things altered in the left hand. Most of your form flaws have to do with the thing the right hand/arm is doing.

One suggestion (another). Don't try to master all the mentioned changes (mine or others) at one time. Do what you can and then give your body some time to adjust to the new feel. Sometimes it takes a few weeks. Don't be in a hurry.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I feel stretched a little, and creep is being a PITA for me

Yes indeed.......creep is a definite indicator that you are NOT using your larger back muscles throughout the shot sequence.

With your Tribute or Allegiance? and it's short valley = this will definitely show.

Now get your DL correct....practice feeling those larger back muscles "holding" the bow's weight......

Before too long......everything will feel just right....now the only thing to do is focus on your target!!

2008 82nd Airborne Realtree H/D Green, I shot the 101st first...and then the 82nd second...went with the 82nd FIRST....
    #65.16 @27.5", 26" 362 gr. Easton Nano 500, GrizzTricks, FOB = 320 fps, 82.33 ft./lbs. K.E., G5 Expert II
    2007 Commander Mossy Oak OBS #68.00 @??.?", 26" 383 gr. C/X Aramid 250, FOB = ??? fps
    www.angelfire.com/empire/realbow/buck1.html

I also forgot to mention that when trying to take pics and not acctually shooting while doing it will make you do things in your form that you dont normally do.......

next time you are out shooting have somebody take some pics at different times during the practice session.....

I have a low ceiling in my house, and if I tried to take pics in the house it would look real bad in the pics.....that doesnt appear to be your problem.....

what store did you purchace your bow from?? a box type store or a pro shop??

the pro shop guy should have seen your issues and fixed them, if not I would not go back to him.....

I think your release hand is just ancored high, Its on your ear lower the index finger knuckel to the jaw bone, and your string will just touch the tip of your nose.

Add a kisser to the string, and make it touch the corner of your mout. I dont think the draw is as bad as it looks.

JIM
    STABMAN.... Stabilizing the world one bow at a time.

Another sign of the ancor being to high is how low your sight cage is. If you lower your ancor, it will raise the peep ,and the sight window.

JIM
    STABMAN.... Stabilizing the world one bow at a time.