You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Official Deer Thread

ok..this is how it works. just post the biggest deer ( or buck ) you missed. I missed a nice 8 last year. my bow hit off my top part of my climber and threw the arrow like 10 feet high. buck would prolly scored around 90-120
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

I lost a 140-150 class 10 point several years ago (thats why I wont shoot expandables anymore). I wish I would have missed I was sick for weeks after that. It still bugs me to this day!
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

Default Missed...

I missed a big, big buck. I'm not good at scoring deer, but he was at least an 8 point and was old. Very old. His face was almost all changed in color and he had a neck that was just massive.

Arrow caught on the pronged arrow rest and stripped off a feather. Arrow landed about halfway to the deer.

Ugh.

not sure this counts but my daughter missed a 168 14 point buck last year. she had 3 chances to shoot but the buck fever got her. 3 weeks later a guy on the lease next to me shot it. so thats how we know how big it is. she almost threw up she was breathing so hard. there i am next to her and no bow or anything having a heart attack watching him trot off.

ok now my turn. 7 years ago i had a 12 point buck come in behind me. he walked within 5 feet of me looking over my shoulder at my uncle across the field going to his truck to get toilet paper. he was on my right side so a fast shot wouldn't work. so i sat there for over an hour while he layed down 15 feet from me. i tried to pull and shoot but my butt and legs fell asleep and i went to the grown and missed fired the bow.

haha yea. umm if you dont know how to score them..go by this. how their mass weight would look like. the thickness of the the antlers. how semetrical it is. how old. umm sumone else back me up. i think i covered them all. ohh height and width too.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

I aint telling...
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

last thanksgiving morning, watched a nice 120ish class buck walk 800 yards across a cornfield and enter the wood 23 yards from my stand. My arrow hit a twig about the same diamete of a pencil lead and pushed it 15 yards off line. The buck just kept walking, stopped 55 yards out and just turned and looked back.

ok..lol let me tell you a funny story about these doe. three of them were coming rigth to me from behind. they had 5 more yards to come and one was getting rocked. my dad grunts to get them to stop and they stopped and took off like a rocket out of nowhere. i was mad at him for sum time but i got over it
    I play snake

2 storys. My dad got me a recurve bow when I was 10 (Bear). That would have been great but it was a lefty and I am right handed. Any way did my best. went hunting with him, me and my bow and he had a 44mag. On a ridge he nugged me and pointed. A big 14 pointer I think, I was just a kid. drawed, aimed arrow zoomed right in front of him by inchs. That was it for 15 years.

Number to not a miss but funny anyway. I know a guy whos wife wanted to try deer hunting last year. True story, so he showed her how to shot a rifle. He took her opening day, walked her to her stand, got her in it. So he headed off to his stand. His was about 400 yards away. He was almost settled in his and he hears a boom, He thought she must have thought she seen one. Figuring she would call out for him if she shot on. about a min. later boom, He thought she was shot crazey. So he climbed down to go check on her. Just as he hit the ground, Boom. He rushed over to her stand and about 40 yards away were 3 dead deer. She shot a spike, then a 5 pointer came up trying to poke the spike with it's horns, she dropped it. then came another buck. He said he would never take her hunting any more.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

The biggest buck i ever shot at is hanging on my wall...so i'll tell a funny..but true..story about a doe.2 seasons ago i was setting in mw stand watching a small feild.I was inside the woods aprox 50yds by a trail and the wind was blowing fairly hard and the few deer i saw in the feild exited on the other side.I sat there for about another hour and was just about to call it the morning when i stood up and just happened to look down and there was a lone doe eating acorns right under my stand.Guess i didn't hear her for the wind.Well..i had brn jersey gloves on and took them off slowly and laid them at my feet and slowly reached for my bow.After having the bow in my hand i realized i had a cig still in my mouth so i tilted my head down and let the cig fall on the plattform between my feet.I nocked an arrow and was waiting for her to move out (she was almost straight down) a few yards to get a decent shot and i started to smell something and looked down and those jersey glove's were on fire from the cig.Now the doe had caught wind of those gloves burning and i had to spread my feet apart.Well....she finally moved out some and i thought it was a chip shot...till the arrow flew 3 feet over her back and to this day i still don't know why/what happened that i missed her.

I have NEVER Missed

I got a bad shot on a 110" buck about four years ago. I guess I got buck fever and rushed the shot and ended up hitting him high in the neck. tracted for two days. just made me sick.
    But this story has a happy ending, I ended up shooting him three weeks later during gun season. The arrow hole in the top of his neck was almost completely heeled.

QSA...that story was a riot

The biggest buck I saw while bow hunting, never even got to draw the bow back. he dissapeared from the apple tree, uneven ground and I was sitting in a skidder rut...not the best of conditions.

The biggest buck I did miss was with the rifle a few years ago. I have shot (rifles) through brush and hit the deer. So applying that to this buck, I did the same thing. He won. What I thought was a small sappling turned out to be a 10 inch wide yellow birch. I put a bullet clean thru, but never touched the deer. The following season, my friends father shot it durring rifle season. 10 points, 191 pounds and I think it measured 150 to 160. He had it scored, but I don't remember the # exactly.

I was 13 and shot at an 8 point, I have no idea what he would have scored. I was hunting from the ground and he ran out 5 yards away from me and stopped. I drew and shot and to this day I still dont know if I hit him or missed. My dad and I looked for 2 hours for blood or for my arrow and we found nothing.

I still wish I knew what had gone wrond but I will never know.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

ok sorry but i am hijacking the deer only part because i just got in from hunting pigs and i missed again tonight in the dark at 34 yards broad side... there were 3 of us we stalked to that distance as they were out when we drove in the gate and had them in the headlights.... and there were 7 pigs and we all 3 shot and yes we all 3 missed.....

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    ok sorry but i am hijacking the deer only part because i just got in from hunting pigs and i missed again tonight in the dark at 34 yards broad side... there were 3 of us we stalked to that distance as they were out when we drove in the gate and had them in the headlights.... and there were 7 pigs and we all 3 shot and yes we all 3 missed.....
    and the excuse is..............

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    and the excuse is..............
    cant even blame it on drinking...
    lets see what i can come up with HHMMM it's night time, cant see through my peep well, i was tired from a long day at work, mosquitos were buzzing, my bow was to heavy ... (thought i would throw that in there since you guys know i shoot a Hoyt ), the parking lot light was in my eyes, my phone was ringing while i was trying to shoot, i think i will stop there.....

and actually the real reason was i have and it is irratating cause in all reality i have no excuse i just missed

3 of us missed as we all shot pretty close to the same time

one more night like last night i will have an add on here... Hoyt Vectrix for sale

so this is about the biggest buck we ever missed
    Well that would take me back to last year when i was setting in my stand and i heard the corn rattle behind me and there stands a doe 30 yards away so i peel her in the front should she roles around and thrashes and slowly comes to me( by slowly i mean it took her a better part of 2 hours to make it that 30yards) then she layed down a mere 2 feet from my tree. Then the brush just started to smash and out runs a 140 inch 8 point runs into the neighbors field and out comes a 160 class 12 point out of the neighbors woods they got in a big fight i watched the 12 point role the 8 point over and over and tried so hard to stick him with his horns then the 12 point went chasing the 8 through the neighbors woods. And my doe got up on me and i never saw it and was out to 15 yards so i shot her and she dumped right there. Then 20 min later i had around 30 min of shooting light left and here comes the 12 point walks up sniffs the doe and i draw back and shoot and about 3 feet from him caught the smallest branch ever and turned my arrow so bad i shaved the side of him
    He runs of across the feild and about 10 mins later i hear a loud smack and i hear a women say holy crap y cant this happen to me when im hunting. I got out of my stand run to the road and there he lay in the road hit by a car The lady said she would give me a back of stakes if i drove it to her house ( two miles away from me ) so i told her i would just to be nice so i actually got to put my hands on him but not in the way i wanted to