You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

View Poll Results: Hoyt or Mathews?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hoyt

34 66.67%
  • Mathews

17 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hoyt?? Mathews??

Hey there, I'm quite new to this sport and would like to find out the opinions of the crowd, am planning to get a bow soon but am quite lost in the fields of limbs. Mathews added on their site that they have determined split limbs to be inferior cos they often have an unbalanced load. But at the same time, Hoyt mentioned that split limbs creates much more lateral and torsional stability than that of a traditional 1 inch solid limb design, also it's prevention against limbs crack? Of course, as a female, Hoyt's designs are more cosmetic, but I would like a trustworthy bow that will be able to stick with me for a good period of time. So please get back to this post people, as much replies as possible! needing all the help i can get..thank you!!

Pardon me if i'm using the wrong terms, hope you all can understand me.

Both designs are very good. I would not be concerned about limb failures. As a dealer, I can tell you that the only failures I have seen have been from dry fires. Both companies warranty program are excellent.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Hoyt?? Matthews??

I agree !!! no need to worry about limb problems. split limbs have been out for awhile now and the problems they were having are cured. also, are you particular to hoyt and Mathews or just what you've been looking at? Martin has an excellent bow line for woman also. and more affordable than the 2. There bows are just as good as hoyt and Mathews. There are other companies that make excellnt bows out there. Just a thought. good luck!!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

When I went looking for my first bow, I thought I knew what I wanted. I read a thread on another forum which suggested to go to the bow shop with an open mind, and buy what shoots best for me. I did as suggested. I shot four bows from four different manufacturers, and ended up with a different bow from the one I thought I wanted. I am glad I did so. I am very happy with my choice.

There are many quality bows out there. As suggested to me: Go in with an open mind, shoot as many as you can (only reason I shot 4 was I shoot LH and it was all they had in stock), and buy what feels best for you...not what others say is best for them.

Scott
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
    Genesis 27:3

I just recently bought another hoyt for strickly 3d and target shooting.Prior to this bow I shot a reflex for hunting and a High Counrty for 3d. My first Hoyt was a Pro Force of 11 yrs and is still going strong. They are really tough and well built.

Thumbs up Hoyt!

I am extremely happy with my Hoyt Vtec. It has everything I was looking for in a bow. Fast, forgiving, quiet, and no hand shock. (And it doesn't hurt that I shoot very well with it )
    No bashing.......Violators will be shot.......Survivors will be prosecuted.

Thumbs up Mathew's

I probably should add that I ended up with a Mathew's Switchback.
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
    Genesis 27:3

Thumbs up Mathews

I agree w/ most people that you should go shoot different bows and decide which you like best. But as for me I have shot most all of them and the mathews switchback blew the rest away. In my area we just had a couple of leages start this week and if how I shot in my first two ever is any indication then i think the switchback will be staying in my bowcase for a long time. Monday night indoor 299 35x. Wed, 300 40x. Not bad for never shooting indoors before. Now I just hope I can keep it up for the next 12 weeks.
    I cut things up and split them down!

Hello, I like the hoyt bows myself, i have owned super slam, enticer, razortec,x tec and now a trykon, all of theis bows have treated me awsom!! Never any troble that was major. I have shot a few bowtecks and a switchback, i bought the hoyt over the 2, they were both verry nice bows though, need to go shoot some and see what you like!!!! Happy shooting

Question

Have you looked at the PSE or Martin line?

hehe hoyt is winning 16 to 4.

hehe 17 to 4 now!!!

Talking

just be happy they are winning somewhere

Why does everyone get so wrapped up in the brand name? I would suggest that you shot every bow that you possible can. Then choose the bow that fits you the best. I will never understand the people that shoot "enter brand here" because some one else thinks they are the best. We are all intelligent enough to make our own decisions..... right?

Darrel
    Pro Staff Positions:

True Spot Scopes
    Coffey Marketing
    WindStalker Cable Guard
    VaneTec vanes
    Prostring custom bow strings

well lets see, it would appear that the person who started the thread, stated they would like to find out the opinions of the crowd on the 2 brands........ mainly limbs, so i would say they might not know much about them, but they asked to see what people thought, which in my book is very smart on their part. the post is even called hoyt?? mathews?? seems pretty forward to me as to what they were looking for. Or correct me if im wrong.....
    Last edited by bullspotter; 02-20-2006 at 01:41 AM.

Default Switchback XT for me

As usual all very good info here. Both these companies make very very good quality bows. And the best thing you can do is shoot as many bows as possible and pick the one that picks you(you'll know) no matter what anyone else there says whether they are your friends or pros they do not know what fits you best. Only you do. The Switchback was by far a better shooting bow in my hand than the Hoyts I shot. But a friend of mine feels the very opposite as I do he loves the Hoyt he has and the Mathews feels wrong to him. Good luck with your desision whatever it may be(Mathews) LOL

Frank

"HONDA"

Default Hoyt!!!!

make that 19 to 6 now
    I shot the switchback xt and the hoyt trykon before making up my mind on the hoyt...... faster fps, bout the same on forgiving, and more kinetic energy
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/2006-Bo...full-chart.htm
    Bowhunter magazine had it clocked at 322FPS
    Think the boys at mathews needs some catching up to do

I just got a new hoyt viper-tech, best thing i have ever purchaced. I shot alot of the comparables and liked the feel of the draw (valley). The matthews scared me a little, you have about 1/2 inch of play before all of the weight is on top of you. Alot of dry-fires from what I have heard, people try them out and are surprised by that. I figure if I am in a treestand and have to adjust at full draw a little play is what I need and the hoyt has a bigger valley. Just a personal opinion, but another thing to consider when buying a bow. They are all good, just get the one that feels right no matter what brand or pricetag it has on it.

Default Matthews

all you gotta do to get my opinion is read the name XT4ME

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel
    Why does everyone get so wrapped up in the brand name? I would suggest that you shot every bow that you possible can. Then choose the bow that fits you the best. I will never understand the people that shoot "enter brand here" because some one else thinks they are the best. We are all intelligent enough to make our own decisions..... right?

Darrel
    Right On!

I have bows by 4 different makers. Everyone of them is a dang good bow.

People get caught up in peer pressure, and marketing I guess, Darrel.

It seems ( with all these polls about "What's your Brand") that alot of folks are more worried about looking good than shooting good!
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.