You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: REAL or NOT

Default REAL or NOT

Is this a real picture or has it been altered? What do your think?

REAL or NOT - Bowhunting forum
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Where did you get it?

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Dont deer antlers bleed when they shed them off or rub the velvet off of them? I think it is real
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

its real....maybe???
    I cut things up and split them down!

It looks like it could be real. There are a lot of blood vessels under and in that velvet.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

I would have to guess that it is real. I have seen a few pics with the velvet looking bloody.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Default Hmm!

Not sure,Havent seen one get that bloody!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I would say real.......velvet damage before it was ready to come off!

I've seen them bloody. but not that bloody... Though its very possible. I'd say its not photo shopped.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Site Guru

i think its fake. while it is true that deer can and will bleed when shedding velvet if you look closely as the base of the antlers they are solid bright red which would indicate massive blood movement but there isn't any where else on the animal.

if it was bleeding so much that its eyes and nose were covered in blood the blood would be dripping off the antlers as well.

The only way I would say this could be real is if the deer did something to its head (fighting)
    No I'm not dead

unless thats his tongue sticking out of his mouth I would have to go with it being altered slightly.

never seen one that bloody shedding but could be real.... ?

looks real when u blow the photo up the blood on the face looks dry and it also looks like he has barbed wire twisted on his antlers
    PSE X-FORCE

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Default I found this I hope it helps

this week is when bucks begin to display the product of what's been growing atop their heads all summer. Their antlers, which began to grow in April, finally have the outside covering, called velvet, removed. The velvet, once rich with blood to supply the antler with nutrients becomes thin and tight-to-the-antler in late summer. The antler is hardened completely, and the velvet will either fall off or be rubbed off on saplings. There will be some bleeding when the velvet is removed, but not much. The blood that remains on the antler will dry and either be rubbed or washed off. After removing the velvet, the antlers are normally much lighter in color, some of them taking on an almost white appearance. This is one of the first changes you will notice when you see a buck in September. Testosterone levels are on the increase, and definite changes in the social structure of the deer herd are about to occur.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did You Know...?
    Male Deer and Elk shed their antlers annually as a prelude to the regeneration, or re-growth, of new ones.
    Antlers in the velvet can grow up to 1" in one day.
    Velvet is the only regenerating skin found in mammals.
    Elk antler velvet has been used in the Orient for medicinal purposes for thousands of years.
    A healthy bull elk can produce up to 10 pounds of velvet a year.
    During early stages of growth, the antlers are very sensitive and can be susceptible to injury and cause for abnormal antler growth.
    Younger deer and elk are usually the last ones to shed their antlers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do deer shed their antlers?
    Male deer grow and shed their antlers every year. Antlers are composed of true bone. Antler growth begins in late March or early April and the growing bone is covered by skin with numerous blood vessels (velvet). In late summer and early fall, testosterone levels increase. This hormone elevation results in the antlers hardening and the buck rubs off the drying velvet. When testosterone levels begin to drop, antlers start to shed beginning in mid January. Deer that are in the best physical condition will lose their antlers later in the winter.

The entire shedding process takes a mere two to three weeks to complete, and the re-growth phase takes place over the summer. The docile male deer that, with the exception of the male and the female reindeer, solely sports antlers, sheds them between January and April, after the autumn mating season draws to a close. He can do without antlers at this time, because his need for them in prior months, to attract and to impress females for his harem of mates, and to fight with his competitors for the females' affections, no longer exists.

Mule deer usually shed their antlers in January and February, and most elk shed their antlers in February and March, however animals of both species sometimes retain their antlers into April. Questions about antler sheds are usually asked by people wanting to try their hand at finding antlers. In that regard, prospective antler hunters are asked to keep their distance from wintering animals to minimize stress and disturbance on winter ranges. There have also been problems associated with antler seekers trespassing on private lands. As with any other activity, permission must be obtained to use private lands.

The antlers themselves differ from the hollow horns of cattle, in that they comprise solid bone tissue with a honey combed structure. Pedicles, or knobby, skin-covered nubs protruding from the skull, support the deer's antlers, or points, which range in number from one shaft to eleven branches. The pedicles are a permanent fixture on the deer's forehead, and are the point from which the antlers annually break off.

During the first year the pedicles appear on the young deer's forehead. The following year, the youngster sprouts straight, spike-like shafts, and in the third year, the first branch appears. In successive years, as the deer matures, his antlers lengthen and, in most species, he acquires additional branches.

During the growth phase of the bony antlers, they are covered with a sensitive skin referred to as "velvet," which is filled with blood vessels that feed the antlers the vitamins and the minerals necessary to build up the bone, and to promote normal antler growth. Antler growth spans two to four months, after which time the velvet is no longer needed, and a ring, which effectively serves as a shutoff valve, forms at the base of the antlers and cuts off the blood supply to the velvet. As a result, the velvet withers, dries up, and falls off, often assisted by the deer, which rubs his antlers against tree bark. The antler regeneration is complete, and the shedding cycle will resume once mating season in the fall concludes.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post

During the growth phase of the bony antlers, they are covered with a sensitive skin referred to as "velvet," which is filled with blood vessels that feed the antlers the vitamins and the minerals necessary to build up the bone, and to promote normal antler growth. Antler growth spans two to four months, after which time the velvet is no longer needed, and a ring, which effectively serves as a shutoff valve, forms at the base of the antlers and cuts off the blood supply to the velvet. As a result, the velvet withers, dries up, and falls off, often assisted by the deer, which rubs his antlers against tree bark. The antler regeneration is complete, and the shedding cycle will resume once mating season in the fall concludes.
    if a deer desiceds it doesn't want to wait though it can become messy but nowhere near what is in the pic. I've seen pics of deer with bloody antlers before but there is no way that is from velvet.
    No I'm not dead