You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Stew recipe

Default Stew recipe

You can use pretty much any kind of lean meat with this, including pork and chicken... It's particularly excellent with venison... You can serve this with venison and nobody would know the better that it was not beef...

I'll guess on the measurements because when I make this I just kind of wing it a bit. You have a ton of latitude with what you put in here, just like any stew.

2 pounds of lean meat
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons dried basil leaves

1 bag of each of the following frozen vegetables, or to taste (leftover veggies go great in this). You can substitute canned veggies if your camping or don't have freezer space.

- peas
    - corn
    - green beans
    - sliced carrots

1 jar of sliced mushrooms
    1 white or yellow onion
    1 red onion
    2 turnips (or to taste, or omit)
    4-5 small to medium sized potatoes, I like to use red (new) potatoes
    2 celery sticks

About 4 cups of beef broth or bullion. Substitute chicken broth if you use chicken as the meat.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes

About 1/2 cup flour
    About 1/2 cup thinkening agent (arrowroot, sifted flour, Wondra, etc...)

Cube meat and onions into small pieces. Heat oil in a stew pot. Toss meat cubes in flour (you can also use cornmeal, bisquick, Shorlunch, etc...). Brown meat and onions in small batches in the pot and take out to drain. After all meat and the onion pieces are browned, put meat and onions back into the pot, add 2 cups of the beef broth and pepper(s), basil and garlic seasonings and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until meat is tender.

While pot is simmering dice up potatoes, celery, turnips and whatever else you want in there.

Dump in frozen veggies, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, celery, basil, etc... Hold back the 2 cups of beef broth.

Let the stew simmer for 1/2 hour or so and if necessary add broth until all of the solid ingredients are just covered with liquid.

Cover and cook on low for about 2 hours. You can also use a crock pot for the slow cooking part, that's what I do.

Raise temp and simmer while adding just enough thickening agent to get a nice smooth consistency. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, garlic, etc...

Serve with cheesy garlic bread, corn bread, salad, etc...

Ron

I will try this stew this weekend.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    I will try this stew this weekend.
    Hope you have storage containers because that recipe makes a lot... It freezes well too and the leftovers taste better than when you first make it. In fact when I make it I'll ususally make in in the evening one day and cover the pot and just leave it on the stove overnight then turn the heat back on the next day to warm it up. I do that with soup, pasta sauce and chili too. You just have to cover it while it's hot and don't take the cover off until you start to re-heat it the next day.

Ron