You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default NOOB wants to start target shooting

Hi, my attention has recently been drawn to archery and i am interested in starting target shooting. however i cannot find a good website/source to begin learning. i am curious as to what type of bow i would/should start with, along with potential costs? i live in canada, and in my town there isnt a lot of shops which cater to archery. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently got back into archery, after a long absence.
    Most of the shops around here are mainly concerned with hunting, not target shooting, which makes it tough to get good advice. This forum has been a big help so-far.
    First, you need to decide how much you want to spend for bow, arrows, etc.
    Get a copy of the "Archers Bible," a catalouge that has just about every kind of bow you could imagine.
    INMO, you're gonna spend $5-700 for a compound or stick bow, and $65 for a dozen arrows.
    Then there is the sight ($50-250), arrow rest ($20-100), release ($20-100), and a target ($20-100).
    These are all US dollars.
    A really complete book is "Archery, Steps to Success" by Kathleen M. Haywood & Catherine F. Lewis, published by Human Kinetics.
    The website is www.HumanKinetics.com, and their Canadian email is orders@hcanada.com.
    Hope this helps.

And depending on what kind of shooting you want to do, you won't need the rest or the sight or the release

The target, bow and arrows are still somewhat necessary

Check out all the different manufacturers web site. I just started in February and shoot a Martin compound. I absolutely love the bow and very blessed to have a great archery shop (and owner) in my area. Here is a plug for R & C Archery in Clute, Tx.

Default RE:target shooting

Although I shoot a compound, all recuves feel the same to me, assuming they are set at the same weight. For target shooting, I would recommend a PSE Optima(around $250), and if you really want to get serious, try a Martin Aroura(around $800). Check them out at www.pse_archery.com and www.martinarchery.com. I would suggest testing them out at a local pro shop first, then you can look on the internet for prices. A good web site for target shooting is www.lancasterarchery.com. Of course, these are only American prices.

*Here are a few books you should also check out.
    Archer's Digest,Rick Sapp
    -and-
    Precision Archery,Steve Ruiz & Claudia Stevenson
    Last edited by CA Rcher12; 09-22-2004 at 07:21 PM. Reason: missing info